♪ Isaäc Bickërstaff ♫
United States
Greer
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
Entropy Seminar:
badge
The results of a five yeer studee ntu the sekund lw uf thurmodynamiks aand itz inevibl fxt hon shewb rt nslpn raq liot.
mb
I'm a bargain gamer. If I see something on sale, I'll probably get it, even if I don't know a thing about it. If there's a DIY game, I'm likely to print it out and put it together, even if it will likely NEVER get played.

Being a bargain gamer, I buy a lot of card games. Some of them I get after researching them, but most of them I buy just because -- because they're small, because they're cheap, because they're colorful, etc. The dilemma here is that I'm much more likely to purchase 4 $10 card games than I am one $40 board game, when I'm actually more interested in the one $40 board game.

So, today, I take a vow that I will no longer buy games without having done some research into them first. No longer will I purchase games like King of the Beasts or Dread Pirate's Cove, just because they're cheap or on sale or have Knizia's name on them. No longer will I be tempted by small games with attractive prices, like Spook!, only to discover later that the game is only a trumped up version of Uno. No longer will I suffer under the oppression of my bargain-minded brain and buy deadweight like Trump: The Game or a wooden box copy of Yahtzee!

I'm hoping that this declaration will help me remember, the next time I see a card game, that I'm still hoping to buy a copy of Taj Mahal and Princes of Florence. The $10 not spent on a crappy card game could be one-quarter of what I need to purchase one of those two games, which I rate 9.

Thank you for your time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CHAPEL
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"that's a smith and wesson, and you've had your six"
mbmbmbmbmb
Speaking of card games. It seems like in the last couple years, not a whole lot of excitement has come out in the card gaming realm.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lisa Gilmer
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
Don't forget the bits!

I'm new at this whole thing and have amassed quite the collection of crap. I'm a thrift shop-aholic and can't seem to resist. Already though, I can see my selection getting better(everything is relative) I did turn down a copy of Backstreet Boys Backstage Pass game. However, I did pick up Rack-0, two versions because of the card holders. And I couldn't resist the LOTR Risk, what with the cool board and unplayed status and it still had all the parts including THE ring...

My name is Auntbeast...I am a bits-o-holic...

Good luck to you, for I, am doomed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Lartigue
United States
Springfield
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I hear you. I have finally gotten it through my thick skull that crap for cheap is still crap. Most stuff is in the thrift store for a REASON and right now I have a pile of games I don't think I could GIVE away, all from thrift stores and tag sales.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Herbst
United States
Sayville
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You're absolutely right in principle.

However, I just played a wargame Friday night using my copy of wooden boxed Yahtzee as a very nice felt lined dice tray, so sometimes bargain items come in handy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CHAPEL
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
generalpf wrote:
MWChapel wrote:
Speaking of card games. It seems like in the last couple years, not a whole lot of excitement has come out in the card gaming realm.

You're right. I can think of a few counterexamples (Roma, Jambo, Blue Moon, San Juan) but not much else.

Yeah, Roma was pretty good, but 2P is a killer for me. San Juan is 2004, still a while back. But where's the No Thanks, Coloretto, Bohnanza, Tichu, Trendy, 6 nimmt, Frank Zoo, Modern Art , and too many cooks's lately...kinda Blah!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
♪ Isaäc Bickërstaff ♫
United States
Greer
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
Entropy Seminar:
badge
The results of a five yeer studee ntu the sekund lw uf thurmodynamiks aand itz inevibl fxt hon shewb rt nslpn raq liot.
mb
latindog wrote:
However, I just played a wargame Friday night using my copy of wooden boxed Yahtzee as a very nice felt lined dice tray, so sometimes bargain items come in handy.

Yeah, but I have a nice, handmade dice tower. So the Yahtzee game is STILL useless to me. =)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CHAPEL
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've got a copy of SPY I'll "give" you only 12.95S&H...what a deal!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CHAPEL
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll cut it off at 2 years, it is almost 2007 here.

Great Wall of China (2006) --- Blah! did not like at all
Card Football (2006) -- haven't played
Hart an der Grenze (2006) -- gulp
Lightning: North Africa (2006) - haven't played
Take Stock (2006) - haven't played
En Garde! (2005) -- Reprint old game
Head to Head Poker (2005)
Big Manitou (2005) -- Meh.
Control Nut (2005) -- Not bad. Ok trick taking
Glory to Rome (2005) -- haven't played
Poison (2005) -- Meh.
Havoc: The Hundred Years War (2005) -- Not bad, not great
Battleground: Fantasy Warefare (2005)

You can add Ark. Also a blah game.

This list does not say "good" to me. Probably out of all the card games I have and seen probably Poison and control nut will be the only two in possible rotation. Blah!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
skrebs
United States
Davis
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Auntbeast wrote:
However, I did pick up Rack-0, two versions because of the card holders.

Add some chips and you can play Geschenkt (or buy it since it's so cheap - kind of the theme of this discussion)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Brown
United States
Colorado Springs
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Don't forget money isn't the only thing you give up with a bad game. You also have to pay for it in storage space.

The opportunity cost is that you could have spent the time to play a much better game also. For someone who doesn't get enough time to play games as it is. this is a big one for me.

This is why most of us won't play monopoly even if we were paid to do it. (of course it depends on how much money)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
♪ Isaäc Bickërstaff ♫
United States
Greer
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
Entropy Seminar:
badge
mb
skrebs wrote:
Add some chips and you can play Geschenkt (or buy it since it's so cheap - kind of the theme of this discussion)

Just buy it. Geschenkt is one of those games that's worthy of owning. Support the designer so he can make more awesome games like this one.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Cardarelli
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MWChapel wrote:
generalpf wrote:
MWChapel wrote:

You're right. I can think of a few counterexamples (Roma, Jambo, Blue Moon, San Juan) but not much else.

Yeah, Roma was pretty good, but 2P is a killer for me. San Juan is 2004, still a while back. But where's the No Thanks, Coloretto, Bohnanza, Tichu, Trendy, 6 nimmt, Frank Zoo, Modern Art , and too many cooks's lately...kinda Blah!

You're right. We should judge all the games that came out in the last year or two based on a very short list of games that spans about 13 years, with no two games in the same year, from somebody who doesn't rate any cards games a 9 or 10. Yeah, thats makes sense.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Martin
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's a phase that (most) gamers hit eventually. You realize that like everything else, 90% of the games published are poor to mediocre. The solution to the problem is to simply pick your favorite games and enjoy them again and again. Games that are worth only a couple of plays are an inexcusable waste of resources. Stick with the classics.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Cardarelli
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh I don't "direct" comments at anyone in particular.

Why, are you disagreeing with me?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CHAPEL
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
SatanicEssence wrote:

You're right. We should judge all the games that came out in the last year or two based on a very short list of games that spans about 13 years, with no two games in the same year, from somebody who doesn't rate any cards games a 9 or 10. Yeah, thats makes sense.

OR...you can just go to the BGG overall ratings and come up with you're own conclusions. devil

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geo
Greece
Athens
Marousi
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MWChapel wrote:

I agree. I also tend to focus on "meaty" boardgames lately.

I prefer to buy a $40 good boardgame than 4 $10 mediocre card games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Cardarelli
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MWChapel wrote:
SatanicEssence wrote:

OR...you can just go to the BGG overall ratings and come up with you're own conclusions. devil

So, you're saying that all new card games are of poor quality because they are not one of the 4 card games in the top 50? Maybe your expectations are too high. Especially since only 6 games in the top 50 were made in 2005 or later.

What's that sound? *Snoot, snoot, snoot* Oh yeah, thats you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Parsons
United Kingdom
CHELMSFORD
Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
I used to have a very firm policy of try before buy. That wasn't too difficult for me to stick to as a couple of other regulars at my local games club have large collections and I also get to several conventions. I became a bit more adventurous when I discovered the Geekbuddy feature and set myself up with 50 or so recommenders. The rare occasions when I've bought an absolute dud have been when I've been seduced by advertising or felt unable to leave the shop without something.

I'd tend to agree with Michael that the last couple of years have been fairly lean ones for card games. However, I would add Victory & Honor to the list of pretty good ones that have come out in that time. I am also looking forward to playing Iliade (Trojan elephants and all).

Of the Essen batch I have some hopes for Michael Schacht's Der Elefant im Porzellanladen. It would be nice if a good game lay behind Jorg Miethe's Gebrauchtwagenhandler (published by Sphinx Family) with it's second hand car dealing theme, but that's more of a shot in the dark.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Talbot
Canada
Fort Smith
Northwest Territories
flag msg tools
Be seeing you... -Alphonse
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I certainly share your problem ... at least, to an extent. There are still some "good deals" that I'll leave on the shelf (but usually only when I'm experiencing a moment of strong will). I buy games on sale. I buy games in thrift shops. I buy games because they're "only $10" (or $5 or $15 or whatever).

Over the last little while, though, I've been getting better at judging those good deals. I'm finding myself enthused by fewer and fewer games; and I'm becoming a bit of a more discerning game buyer thanks to it. Not to mention I'm running out of game storage space.

Chris

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CHAPEL
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
SatanicEssence wrote:

uh, no...That wasn't what I was thinking at all. I was more thinking about running a search on card games, and comparing them to other card games. And seeing the the level of rankings and where the 2005-2006 card games fall in.

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/search.php3?title=&designerid=&...

But passive aggressive retorts rock!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Cardarelli
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MWChapel wrote:
SatanicEssence wrote:

uh, no...That wasn't what I was thinking at all. I was more thinking about running a search on card games, and comparing them to other card games. And seeing the the level of rankings and where the 2005-2006 card games fall in.

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/search.php3?title=&designerid=&...

But passive aggressive retorts rock!

2004 saw an explosion of good card games, with that year producing more card games that have an average user rating of 6 or more than any other year. With 2005 being the next highest, and 2003 being 3rd. Of any given year, there are only a few noteworthy games that came out, with 2004 being an exception. I don't we can compare the past few years to just that one year.

P.S. - Just because you haven't played a game, doesn't mean it doesn't exist.

Quote:
Great Wall of China (2006) --- Blah! did not like at all
Card Football (2006) -- haven't played
Hart an der Grenze (2006) --
Lightning: North Africa (2006) - haven't played
Take Stock (2006) - haven't played
En Garde! (2005) -- Reprint old game
Head to Head Poker (2005)
Big Manitou (2005) -- Meh.
Control Nut (2005) -- Not bad. Ok trick taking
Glory to Rome (2005) -- haven't played
Poison (2005) -- Meh.
Havoc: The Hundred Years War (2005) -- Not bad, not great
Battleground: Fantasy Warefare (2005)

P.P.S - I thought Havoc was a great game. So don't put words in everyone's mouth.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Silverman
United States
Halfway between Castro and Mickey Mouse
Florida (FL)
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh ye who awaits good card games, remain patient! And keep your eyes out for Crime Lords!!!

(Probably around next summer's convention season. . .)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J. Green
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I usually stick to this rule, and avoid buying things just because they're on sale. But last week my FLGS was having a yard sale to clear out years of accumulated junk and I got a copy of A Call to Arms (Babylon 5 space combat) for $5, which is about what I would have wanted to pay for it. I also nabbed a copy of Betrayal at House on the Hill for $20 at TRU this week, a game I have had on the wish list but didn't want to pay full price for so I was hoping for a trade but at that price it was worth it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
♪ Isaäc Bickërstaff ♫
United States
Greer
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
Entropy Seminar:
badge
mb
SatanicEssence wrote:

Awright, you two, play nice.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.