BANG!» Forums » Sessions

Subject: The game that almost broke off my 4 year engagement... rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Warren Forrest
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
OK, seriously, I just about broke off my engagement to my wonderful fiance after we played our first ever game of Bang!

Or, perhaps more precisely (and honestly), I almost screwed up my engagement.

The way this story starts is that my sister's birthday was a couple of weeks ago and due to conflicting schedules none of us could get together to celebrate. So instead we decided to get together on the Thanksgiving weekend (as I explain it to my American fiance, we Canadians celebrate "fake Thanksgiving" early) and play some board games.

I decided to buy my sister (what else?) a new game. Now, we've just recently completed getting the Sacred Trinity of essential board games (ie. Catan, Carcassonne and Puerto Rico), so I decided to branch out into card games. Of course I chose "Bang!", because my sisters, my fiance and myself seem to get perhaps too much enjoyment out of things like asking "Got wood for sheep?", and thus "Bang!" is a natural fit.

When we started to play everything was OK at first. None of us had any idea how the game worked so I was designated rule-reader / rule-explainer. Overall I didn't screw up too much, my biggest mistake being not realizing that "Jail!" only lasts 1 turn, and thus I ending up being stuck in jail, shot to pieces and eliminated first.

OK, now here comes the part where I got into trouble.

My fiance picked up the "Dynamite!" card. My philosophy in teaching people during the first game is just to get people to play the game and not think too hard about strategy or tactics. I figure the faster we get through the first game the better. So instead of taking the time to explain what the card does, I told her just to play it and I'd explain it as the game went.

Now, I want to defend myself a bit here. Normally, this philosophy works fine. People don't get bogged down in not knowing what to do, and most importantly, they don't feel badly about losing and/or doing something stupid on the first game because I'm constantly reassuring them, "Don't worry about what the best move is, because it's just the first game. You're just learning how the game works."

So of course you know what's going to happen, right? The dynamite is going to immediately blow up in her face. Which it does. See, the thing is, I DIDN'T KNOW THAT'S HOW IT WORKED! This is the first time I'm playing too, after all, and I kinda assumed it was safe to be the one lighting it as long as it didn't go all the way around the board and then blow up in your face.

So, anyway, BOOM! goes the dynamite, down goes my fiance's health, and in the next round she gets polished off by the Sheriff. She turned out to be the Deputy, by the way, but of course my fiance isn't glaring at the Sheriff, no, she's glaring at me...

...or at least, that's what I think...

I'm feeling like a nitwit at this point, of course. So the whole rest of the game I'm trying to apologize and she's not really looking at me. Sure, she's laughing about it on the outside, but deep down she's furious with me. When she announces, "Well, I know somebody won't be doing anymore Bang!ing tonight..." everybody laughs, but deep down I know she's serious.

...er...

Actually, no, she isn't. But I'm insecure, you see, so of course I'm slowly convincing myself that she's giving me the silent treatment when really she's just not all that upset.

So the game ends and we get ready to play again. Then my fiance announces, "I'm not playing again if Warren is playing. He's a no-good dirty rotten cheating bastard." We all have a chuckle. Then she repeats something similar.

*SNAP!* goes my frail ego. I drop the cards I'm shuffling and run out of the house. I'm in tears, totally convinced she's genuinely mad at me over something so trivial. Then I get mad, and I'm pacing around outside telling myself that she doesn't have to be so cruel to me after all the effort I go to to try to be the wonderful, gentle, caring soul that I am. Doesn't she realize what a catch I am?

OK, so maybe I don't expect her to actually worship the ground that I walk on, but would it really kill her to maybe just revere it a little bit once in awhile?

So there I am, pacing around the neighbourhood in the dark, telling myself that I don't need this anymore, and that I thought this was going to be a fun night but instead she's ruined it and that I'm not going to put up with this abuse (ABUSE, I say!) anymore.

...meh...

Anyway, the way this story ends is that my fiance comes looking for me and by the time she finds me I've realized I've probably over-reacted. I ask her if she was really mad at me and she says, "No, not at all, until you suddenly ran out of the house."

I apologize. I start to cry (yup, I'm a wimp). She cuts me off by saying, "Oh stop it. You over-reacted. Don't make such a big deal about it." I stop crying. I suck it up. We go back inside and proceed to play a bunch more games of Bang!, and have a great time.

(Epilogue)

Now that we've all played it a bunch of times, we can all agree that "Bang!" is a great little game. We're all a bit puzzled why the game designer chose to use unneccesarily confusing symbols and keep many of the rules in the rulebook alone, rather than just clearly write the rules right there on the cards themselves. Other than that, though, we love it.

And finally, it probably won't come as a suprise to anybody to hear that the Renegade has only won 1 game so far. I was the Sheriff, my fiance was the Renegade, and in a particularily spectacular use of the Volcanic she managed to make every single one of us her bitches in very short order.

Which really comes as no suprise at all to me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michel Boucher
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
we Canadians celebrate "fake Thanksgiving" early

It's not fake, it's the US Thanksgiving, as it was (perhaps unwisely) imported from the US anyway. It's just earlier because our harvest time is six weeks before theirs. Comes from living in a "région septentrionale" of the planet.

It would have been better if we had decided to call the holiday Harvest Time, or Bring In Those Tomatoes Day instead of Thanksgiving which implies gratitude for the past year when in fact that is rarely the case.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Jensen
United States
Perry
NY
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hmmm... As I started reading, my first thought was to wonder why a four year engagement. By the end of the report I was wondering if you'd be able to get married in the next four years! devil

I'm glad your group enjoyed the game. Bang! really is a hoot. And speaking from married experience, I'll give you some advice.... Never play such a game with an eight month pregnant wife!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Case
England
Epsom
Surrey
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
https://www.facebook.com/amuse.ment.92
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Right..........

I started feeling like I should expose my soul about something deeply personal. Then I remembered this was a gaming site.

I once saw someone storm out in tears during a game of Scruples. However they were fundamentally damaged as far as humans go and thought that a top Chinese meal was sliced carrot, onions and noodles, shallow fried with ginger.

They also ate way too much chocolate and had very bad teeth.

I could go on....but this is just a gaming site.......

P.S. Give Scruples and Intrige a spin. That should definitely get the engagement ring down the pawn shop double quick.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek Gallacher
Canada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ahhhhhh, Muffin. cry

Will your fiancee be carrying you over the threshold on the wedding night?

Don't ever play Blokus with her then. There's no play that doesn't result in someone being called a no-good dirty rotten cheatin' bastard. I wouldn't want to hear that you were crying again.

cool

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil Sorenson
United States
Springfield
VT: VERMONT
flag msg tools
badge
mb
These sorts of awkward emotional revelations are the reason that I avoid reading personal blogs...

Yikes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Henry Chi
United States
Metuchen
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Heck, if the engagement has gone on 4 years without a wedding, there are probaly issues anyway.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott B
United States
Redmond
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mb
It's funny; most everybody else has commented on the long engagement, or the awkward personal revelations. I'm more concerned that you didn’t see Bang! for what it is - a total waste of time, better spent on any number of good card games. *cough No Thanks! cough*

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Warren Forrest
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
MacGee wrote:
Ahhhhhh, Muffin. cry

Geez, you sound just like her!

MacGee wrote:
Don't ever play Blokus with her then. There's no play that doesn't result in someone being called a no-good dirty rotten cheatin' bastard. I wouldn't want to hear that you were crying again.

Wow, that's exactly the game that she's been wanting me to buy!

kakupacal wrote:
These sorts of awkward emotional revelations are the reason that I avoid reading personal blogs...

The irony here is that I virtually never write awkward emotional revelations in my personal blog.

My logic is that awkward emotional moments by themselves are boring and pointless. They don't make a good read. Likewise a straightforward narrative of people doing something is also boring and pointless to read.

But combine the two, over-dramatize things a bit, mix in some self-deprecation, and viola! You've got a story to tell! laugh

henwy wrote:
Heck, if the engagement has gone on 4 years without a wedding, there are probaly issues anyway.

Yeah, but I left out the reasons because they're not very dramatic. All the issue is is that I'm in school and we can't really afford to get married until I'm done because of the costs involved in getting her moved up to Canada.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Case
England
Epsom
Surrey
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
https://www.facebook.com/amuse.ment.92
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Right......

But this is a gaming site.

At least include a session report the next time you let rip from the shrinks couch.

Actually don't.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Waits
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Don't do it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon Holmes
Canada
Caledonia
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well I liked the report anyway... At least it made me laugh.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.