Popular Tags: [View All]
Bernd Caspers
Germany
Mönchengladbach
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
WotC has just launched the official site for this game:
http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=starwars/article/starsh...

If you scroll down to the bottom you find the link to an online rulebook or click here:
http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=starwars/article/SBrule...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
It's a Zendrum. www.zendrum.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Interesting. No LOS (Simulates 3D?) and no ranges:

Class 1, 2, and 3 starships can attack any enemy ship on the stellar grid, although they can attack fighters (class 4 starships) only if they are adjacent. Other starships do not block line of sight or provide cover. To attack, choose an enemy ship as the target and follow these steps.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Marchlewitz
Canada
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well finally! : )

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Barnes
United States
Decatur
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Friends, is it POSSIBLE to be a nerd of any description and NOT be excited about this? Good grief! And it reads well too!

Cue the BGG peanut gallery- "Well, I was rather disappointed in SWCMG because a D20 can not sufficiently represent the probabilty of a blaster damaging IG-88", "It's a collectible game and is therefore tantamount to Hitler", etc...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Barnes
United States
Decatur
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Certainly. The prevailing internet groupthink that dictates popular opinion here on BGG considers anything "collectible" to be evil- like Hitler- regardless of the quality of the game. Therefore, expect to hear tons of bitching about the collectibility when it comes out. laugh

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leo Zappa
United States
Aliquippa
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I believe this will be the first collectible game of any sort in which I will invest. Mini starship battles are just too cool. I MUST HAVE THIS! sauron

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Brown
United States
Colorado Springs
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
crackedlcd81 wrote:
Certainly. The prevailing internet groupthink that dictates popular opinion here on BGG considers anything "collectible" to be evil- like Hitler- regardless of the quality of the game. Therefore, expect to hear tons of bitching about the collectibility when it comes out. laugh

A collectible game can be good but it certainly makes it a pain to get what you want, and way more expensive also. It's really annoying to me because I love star wars but this will make it way more expensive, I haven't decided yet if it will be more expensive than its worth.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich Chamberlain
United Kingdom
Nottingham
Nottinghamshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
On the miniture's bases they include a Set icon to identify which set they come from. Now we already know they have said there is only going to be one Set for this game. With this "set icon" they are obviously leaving the option open for more sets.

My point is that I am happy to buy in to this game if there is one set only - it becomes a finite expenditure. With a mere 60 ships in the set, assuming 30 ships per side I am worried that some key ships will be missing in case there is an expansion, or maybe creating demand for an expansion: "We want B-Wings!"

Another concern is that will there be too many unique named ships? You can have "X-Wing", but is there also "Red 1", "Red 2", "Red 3", etc. This is unneccesary in my view. I want a swarm of cheap but effective TIE Fighters and not worry about getting the named super powered unique TIEs.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trent Y.
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
From what they have online, it's hard to say what sort of gameplay this will have.

The numbers look fairly tight. Will a handful of X-wings be able to take out a Star Destroyer? Can they combined fire or will a Star Destroyer be comepletely safe from them?

I stated prior that I would have liked to have had large ships divided into various areas. Areas that could be targeted specifically and attacked, rather than just: It's this tough and gets a little less tough at the half way mark.

This is not the end of the world, I'm sure the game will still be fun.

So was there a release date on this? I didn't see any.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank Branham
United States
Duluth
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
New Dia die Los Muertos. Lighter, sillier, and Stickers.
mbmbmbmbmb
Read the rules, and they look a little....odd.

The oddest bit is that the only cases in which range matters are fighters and point defense weapons. Fighters have to be adjacent, and survive the point defense shots.

Movement is only important to alter the defense of your targetted ship. But since even the slowest ship can turn 90 degrees in a turn, the player that moves last kinda gets to pick which side gets targetted. But he can still bring all weapons to bear on any target.

And no terrain. Star Wars needs planets and asteroid fields.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
stephen
United Kingdom
Burton on trent
Staffordshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Not sure about this ones, the rules look kinda light and a bit lacking in flavour.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trent Y.
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
fbranham wrote:

On this I totally agree. Although planets and asteroids are easy enough to introduce. But without terrain, the big ships would seem to just want to sit there and barely move. Clearly they must have playtested it to even see if some players just had their ships and did zero movement during a game.

We don't know all the details yet, do we? I mean maybe you get a bonus to damage something if you're within X number of squares. I dunno.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Taylor
United States
Lake Forest
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
First ship preview is up as well.

http://wizards.com/default.asp?x=starwars/article/SBPreview1

It's the big ships that come in the starter.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Heinzmann
United States
Mesa
Arizona
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Hmm, Star Wars collectible Star Ship miniature game?? Wait!!

It's a trap!!

I'm still in. I just hope they don't join my Mage Knight, WizKids Mechwarrior, Pirate ships, Heroclix, Star Trek Red Alert, Marvel Overpower, Magic TG, Wildstorm CCG, Illuminati, collectible games in the closet unplayed collection. Yes I have this stuff and its all just taking up space and reminding my wife how much I spend on games and how little I save for the kids college.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trent Y.
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sarimrune wrote:
fbranham wrote:

On this I totally agree. Although planets and asteroids are easy enough to introduce. But without terrain, the big ships would seem to just want to sit there and barely move. Clearly they must have playtested it to even see if some players just had their ships and did zero movement during a game.

We don't know all the details yet, do we? I mean maybe you get a bonus to damage something if you're within X number of squares. I dunno.

I think I see it now. The reason to maneuver is that the ships are much more vulnerable on their broadside and rear. Both the sample ships have the best armour on the front (18) but their best attack on the broadside, where their armour is less (14). Turning to give them all your guns can make things very dangerous for you.

Likewise, smaller ships will likely need to maneuver a great deal to keep other ships in their front arc while trying to get into their enemies side or rear arc.

Simple but possibly effective.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.