Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Derek Gallacher
Canada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I also hate excessive erata.
Star Wars minis works on so many different levels that I could not hate it. Each reason for my continued enjoyment of this game brings me closer and closer to absolute geek. a concept not unlike absolute zero

Game Appearance - It's pretty (feel free to send me flowers )

-Miniatures -

- sculpted then molded (details a plenty)
- pre painted (sorry 40K)
- alternate poses (ever get tired of seeing the same posed piece over and over? I did until this game)
- to scale (alright, I know that there are a few pieces off scale but we're talking high 90%+ for good scale)

- Stat Cards -

- clearly marked for faction
- detailed descriptions of abilities (some maybe too detailed)
- wonderful artwork in their own right
- promotes literacy (alright, I'm stretching this one a bit)
- clearly numbered for their point value in squad building, more point=more powers, fewer point= fewer powers (general rule)

- The Maps -

- can you say "frameable" (if not that's OK - fray + ma + bull)
- clearly marked (even the downloads are good)
- scaled to fit every time ( still have not found exception to this)
- grid system (it took a while, I love hexes)

Game Play - be better than the movies

General Rules

- miniatures may only move 6 spaces and fire a weapon
- miniatures may move 12 without firing
- square immediately next to a miniature or other square is adjacent for purposes of swinging glowing sticks, beating with clubs, or opening doors
- anything green on Map provides cover (cover does not make you invisible) if you are in it, I can still see you, you can still see me
- you can't see past purple lines on Maps (they make you invisible)
- yellow lines are difficult to cross
- don't step off ledges, you die

Specific Rules

- that's what the Stat Cards are for

1st - Establish which faction you plan on playing. The choices are

- Sith ( old time bad boys)
- Mandalorian (where does he get those wonderful toys)
- Old Republic (old fashioned law)
- Republic (Episodes 1-3 + Animated)
- Seperatists(Episodes 1-3 + Animated)
- Imperial (Do not underestimate the power of the ... ah hell, Episodes 4-6)
- Rebel (Episodes 4-6 good guys?)
- New Republic (the future baby, the future)
- Yuuzhan Vong (Futurekill)
- Fringe (everything from everywhere)

How's that for variety?

2nd - Build a squad based on points ( see Stat Cards )

- usual point structures include 100, 150, and 200, but feel free to set your own limits (We've played in teams of 3 with 1000 points/ teams. AT-At's were involved - many)

3rd - Deploy on the pretty ( I like roses ) Maps

- oponent gets deployment area
- you get yours
- deploy 2 at a time until full squad is on board

4th - Play

- each piece is allowed to activate and perform whatever actions it is legally able to perform ( Stat Cards + General Rules )
- targetting with weapons (if I can see you then I can usually take a shot at you, Stat Cards take care of specifics), I role d20 + my modifiers against your defense + your modifiers
- if I'm next to you, I can hit attempt to hit you, I role d20 + my modifiers against your defense + your modifiers
- when I hit you, you become damaged
- when your damage meets or exceeds the hit points displayed ever so nicely on the Stat Card then you die
- anything in question with the rules as you know them, you check the erata pages, it's all there
- I kill everyone, or meet a specific mission objective, I WIN
- You kill everyone, or meet a specific mission objective, YOU WIN

That's it

A simple skirmish wargame, with great miniatures, excellent terrain for playing, clear (or clarrified rules), definitive end game. I can't wait for the Starship Battles minis.

So why do I really choose to play this game that has Dice gulp and pages of erata gulp gulp ?

When I was a kid, Star Wars was the first movie I watched with my dad.
I wanted every toy.
When my friends and I would play with all of my "action figures", we would argue about who killed who.
I never got all of the toys that I wanted.
Now I'm early 30's, well paid, and get to own all of the toys that I wanted as a child BUT BETTER because now they come with the instructions that tell me who kills who.
Sometimes I just play with the minis themselves for no reason but to reminisce (when my fiancee isn't looking of course)

I hate dice. I hate excessive erata. I love this game, and I'll be playing it with my kids ( as soon as they learn not to bend my Wookiees)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Burchfield
United States
Virginia Beach
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree completely. This is a great game. The mechanics just plain work.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Carvin
United States
Hamburg
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Join our Berks Boardgamers group (Hamburg, Pa) via Facebook!
badge
Ah, the diabolical Dice … a word of caution; don't throw them when you're alone. The fiends lack loyalty, and their notion of nourishment is quite disturbing.
mbmbmbmbmb
I collected many of these figures, most of them a few years back and the occassional booster along the way. I just played it again last Friday and it made me remember how much fun this is. I'm now in the process of getting an AT-AT to put together a huge Hoth set up which I'm pretty excited about since Snowspeeders are now available. Do you have any pictures/further comments about your 1000 point game? What figures did you use and in what numbers?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Brown
United States
Colorado Springs
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
What are your favorite maps to play on and do you have a favorite scenario?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Carvin
United States
Hamburg
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Join our Berks Boardgamers group (Hamburg, Pa) via Facebook!
badge
Ah, the diabolical Dice … a word of caution; don't throw them when you're alone. The fiends lack loyalty, and their notion of nourishment is quite disturbing.
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't really have a favorite map myself, it just depends on the scenario. I like putting together themed skirmishes myself. Jedi vs Jedi, Stormtroopers vs Tusken Raiders, Stormtroopers vs Ewoks, and now that I have that AT-AT on it's way, a bunch of AT-STs, Snowspeeders, ATGAR and E-Web guns, I'm looking forward to playing the Hoth scenarios. Many times I pick a main chacater to build around (such as Yoda and you build around him with Wookies). It's a lot of fun building your squad because of the special action interactions that can occur. It's great. You just need to spend the time getting to know each character a bit though it's hard ot do with so many miniatures now available. The official site is a great place to read about strategies for building and playing. http://wizards.com/default.asp?x=starwars

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.