Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Dave Gilligan
United States
Charleston
West Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A gaming buddy of mine who has a vast library of games happens to own Carabande. I had read about this game on BGG and asked him if I could borrow it for awhile. I wanted to give it a try and thought my kids might like it too. Little did I know!

I arrived home after work today and pulled the game out. I have 2 girls, four and six, and they were quite fascinated with the game. They both realized instantly that it was a race track of some sort and were both eager to try it out. So was I!

I set up the track in what I thought was a relatively easy layout, with rails at all the appropriate places. I showed the girls how to flick the disks around the track and away we went!

The very first game, my four year old, who almost pushes rather than flicks the disk (I didn't concern myself to much with their technique as I wanted them to have fun) made some tremendous plays, making the disk speed through several corners at a time. She actually came in first in her first race! The easy track had something to do with it but so did her childhood fearlessness and desire to simply have fun. She played a few more turns and dropped out.

My six year old was a bit more serious and at times got upset as her disk flew out of the track several times. I counseled her to slow down and take her time but it just isn't her way. She did get frustrated but kept at it.

Then, I introduced the jump and both girls jumped back into the game with a zeal. We ran several more laps before it was time for dinner. I put the game up.

Right after bath time, my six year old was ready to play the game again. This time, I set the track up and we took turns seeing how few flicks it would take to get around the track. This went on for a good hour or so, with me sitting back and watching my daughter run lap after lap.

I expect the game to be out again tomorrow and the next day and the next. Such a simple game but loads of fun...for kids of all ages!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Swood
United States
Stamford
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the report! I have a Crokinole board that my kids love, and I've been thinking about Carabande because the gameplay is similar. And the racing theme seems like fun. It's on my wishlist, but I haven't pulled the trigger just yet.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob White
United States
Richmond
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm really tempted to pick up the game for my family (wife, 4 year-old son, and 8 year-old daughter), but I think I'd only feel comfortable spending that kind of money if I could play it once first. I wish I knew someone around Richmond, Virginia who owned it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.