Popular Tags: [View All]
Doug Orleans
United States
Somerville
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
When performing a Ewe Turn, it seems wholly redundant to both rotate every sheep and move Roger Ram. Or am I missing some reason why the absolute orientation of the flock would matter and not just its orientation relative to Roger? We just used Roger (or the shearing sheep) to keep track of the flock's current orientation (based on which side of the flock it was on) and didn't bother rotating the sheep.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Earles
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well I don't know how meaningful it is from a pure "positional" perspective, but all the Sheep are supposed to face Roger.

Therefore when all the sheep turn 90 degrees, Roger has to also move to stay "in front" of the herd.

If you were to imagine that the point of the ^ or > is the head of the sheep:

R

^^^^
^^^^
^^^^
^^^^

||
\/

>>>>
>>>>
>>>> R
>>>>

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J. Romano
United States
Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DougOrleans wrote:
When performing a Ewe Turn, it seems wholly redundant to both rotate every sheep and move Roger Ram. Or am I missing some reason why the absolute orientation of the flock would matter and not just its orientation relative to Roger?

The orientation of the sheep still matters for when Roger (and the Sheep Shearer) have yet to come out.

When Roger and the Sheep Shearer are not present, you still need to keep track of which side they would appear on, which is why every sheep gets rotated. You could, however, just have a place-holder for when Roger and the Sheep Shearer are not present, and just move that (instead of every sheep) whenever a Ewe-Turn is executed. (Then, when Roger or the Sheep Shearer makes an appearance, they just replace the place-holder.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark McEvoy
Canada
Mountain
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
DougOrleans wrote:
When performing a Ewe Turn, it seems wholly redundant to both rotate every sheep and move Roger Ram. Or am I missing some reason why the absolute orientation of the flock would matter and not just its orientation relative to Roger? We just used Roger (or the shearing sheep) to keep track of the flock's current orientation (based on which side of the flock it was on) and didn't bother rotating the sheep.

Yeah, I came to the exact same conclusion when I read the rules as well. Conceptually, the sheep could be "directionless" and just have one cardinal direction denoted as "ahead" (with Ewe-turn changing this direction by repositioning Roger + Shearer to of of the two adjacent cardinal points).

Of course, as mentioned above, you would have to maintain the definition of 'which way is ahead' even in tag-rounds. I'd be tempted to get a little toy fence, and denote the rounds by having Roger or Shearer behind a fence during the appropriate Tag phases, and lifting the fence when the timer enters the Roger/Shearer field.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Orleans
United States
Somerville
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Fantomius wrote:
You could, however, just have a place-holder for when Roger and the Sheep Shearer are not present, and just move that (instead of every sheep) whenever a Ewe-Turn is executed. (Then, when Roger or the Sheep Shearer makes an appearance, they just replace the place-holder.)

Right, but it's pretty simple to see which field the flock token is in to know what the current scoring method is. There's not even any need to switch between Roger and the Shearer other than it looks neat.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Shaffer
United States
San Francisco
CA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
But how would the sheep know where loverboy Roger is sitting if they can't see him?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Grundy
Australia
Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
All true. But it only takes a few seconds to rotate the flock. And it helps the "fun feel" of the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.