badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Print and Play.
Making your own games.
Do it yourself.
Creating your own prototype.
Any and all.

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/wiki/page/Print_and_Play_Games

For those of you that have things to share, but aren't inclined to go edit the wiki page, please post things here - I will try and incorporate everything as best as I can onto the wiki page.

Just a few suggestions:

Things like, "I prefer to use foam board over illustration board" is ok, as long as you say why. There is no one right way, but the point is to try and give all the pros and cons of any particular method or approach so that folks looking to make a game can easily find a good resource.

If you are not posting to the wiki, but posting here, try to be a little concise. If you have lots of tips - that's great, just don't make them one long-ass-run-on-paragraph (please).

If you visit the game entry for a Print and Play game, add text to the end of the game description like:

For helpful hints on building your own version, visit the BGG Wiki page on Print and Play Games

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wesley
Nepal
Aberdeen
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
Well I sure HOPE that the folks 'doing' this GET some "GG"s for their efforts and they ought to GET "tips" as well! Someone put this 'stuff' from HERE into there wherever:

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/article/551348#551348

Just denote the pertaining portions and *skip* the "B.S."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gilad Yarnitzky
Israel
Reut
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Added some bit suppliers

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Crocker
United States
Westland
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Here are my most used techniques, materials, and resources, for print & play games.

I print almost everything (counters, tiles, hexes, card faces, map sections, game boards) on full size label sheets. That way you can peel and stick to whatever surface you choose, such as;

I cut out the card faces that I've printed, and stick them to the faces of regular playing cards. If color coding is needed, I just use different decks.

Counters, tiles, terrain hexes, etc., I cut out and peel and stick them on cocktail coasters, free at your local pub and eatery. Thick enough, yet easy to cut. If I want to get fancy, I peel and stick counters to old "Scrabble" tiles. And if you glue 2 scrabble tiles together, you have the equivalent, if slightly rectangular, to a "block" like in Columbia games.

I peel and stick my game boards and map sections to old game boards that I've picked up at local thrift shops. If you cannot find an old Candyland, Monopoly, et. al, for a dollar, you are not looking hard enough. But the handiest board of all, is from Trivial Pursuit, because it lends itself to so many applications. Buy it for a buck, toss out everything, but save the board.

I print text player aids on colored card stock. I print fancy player aids on photo paper, which I then glue to card stock with spray adhesive.

I do almost all of my cutting with a heavy duty construction grade utility knife and a metal edged ruler. I find hobby knives, just too flimsy.

edit: The best thing ever, for mounting circular counters is...a penny....and there are few items cheaper.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Crocker
United States
Westland
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Things you can find at the "Dollar Tree".

pkg. of 2 decks of poker sized playing cards.
pkg. of 2 decks of mini size playing cards.
pkg. of 12 regular sized dice.
pkg. of 60 composite (not plastic) poker chips, in 3 colors.
pkg. of 8 sheets of glossy photo paper.
pkg. of 50 sheets of assorted card stock.
pkg. of 5 utility knife blades.
bottle of black inkjet cartridge refill (messy, but worth it).
bottle of magenta inkjet cartridge refill.
bottle of cyan inkjet carrtridge refill.
bottle of yellow inkjet cartridge refill.
bag of approx. 50 glass beads, flat bottom, various colors.
wooden cigar box.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Francisco J. Piña A.
Chile
Calama
Antofagasta
flag msg tools
badge
Insert any witty/stupid overtext you can think of here... I got nothing
mbmbmbmbmb
Added some more geeklists with PnP games

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles Hasegawa
United States
Chandler
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
GROGnads wrote:
Well I sure HOPE that the folks 'doing' this GET some "GG"s for their efforts and they ought to GET "tips" as well! Someone put this 'stuff' from HERE into there wherever:

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/article/551348#551348

Just denote the pertaining portions and *skip* the "B.S."

Actually GROG, I already had your list bookmarked and was going to start referencing your "excellent" list, but I got tired and went to bed instead

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.