Popular Tags: [View All]
Drummond McCunn
United States
Granite Bay
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Hi-

I have only ever played the Axis in EE. One of the strategies I have yet to face is the Russian early offensive. This looks like it stretches the Russians thin, but can remove a potentially painful minor permanently from the game (EX: Rumania)

Anyone care to share their experience trying this ploy?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon M
United Kingdom
Hitchin
Herts
flag msg tools
I am not sure I follow you. The Russians cannot declare war before the end of 1941 therefore don't get to be aggressive before Barbarossa. Post Barbarossa there is no way they should be able to take out one of the minor powers. If they did try it then gobble them up by cutting them out of supply. I should think an all out attack by the Soviets in this manner should set up the Axis for a major victory.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Carroll
United States
Urbana
Illinois
flag msg tools
Soli Deo Gloria!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
To clarify what Jon M said, the Russians may not declare war on Germany until Jan/Feb 1942 unless the Germans fail to garrison Poland/East Prussia adequately. Assuming the Germans invade in Jul/Aug '41, a serious Russian offensive is a BAD idea anytime before 1943.

I have encountered one occasion when the Russians had a large force in Bessarabia when Barbarossa happened. The Germans didn't want to deal with the river crossing, so tried to cut them off from supply (but failed.) The Soviets then tried for Bucharest on their turn, but also failed. That stack later DID get destroyed out-of-supply, paving the way for an Axis Operational victory.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drummond McCunn
United States
Granite Bay
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Please read rule 14.321

Yes, my group is exclusively using all of the optional/advanced rules.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Sallot
United States
Fort Leavenworth
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
IMO, Early Russian Aggression is not realistic and is attributable to a bored Soviet Player trying to spice up the game. Sure its boring watching the Jerries Goose Step across the continent, and waiting for the inevitable deluge, but its not that long. BTW, then Russian player is the prima dona for the next 2-3 years, as the West builds its strength for the Great Crusade.

Back to my point, there are a number of reasons why Soviet Aggression is unrealistic: 1) Stalin was afraid of provoking Hitler even on 22 JUN 1941! [don't forget all that fancy German machinery (tools, dies, etc.) Hitler was sending east, which was later used to build arms] 2) The Red Army was EXPANDING expontentially (units were undermanned, under trained, under equipped) 3) The Red Army leadership and Commissar system was rebuilding itself after the Purge, and 4)The Red Army was undergoing huge transformation from traditional infantry formations to formations capable of conducting the Tukhachevskii's "Deep Battle" -- aka Mechanized Corps. In short the Red Army may have been huge, but it suffered from a number of a debilitating flaws, thus earned the title of Stumbling Colossus(David Glantz's words not mine).

But for those ahistorical folks, I suppose its a good "What if" to desynch the German Player.

Cheers,
s

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.