Subject: Planetkiller killed rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ian
Denmark
København
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've been slowly inundating my group of gaming friends with this game, bits at a time. Small duels, to larger multiplayer battles, and we've had a lot of fun (well, it depends on the people, it's never the game)

Ken has played 2-3 games with me previously, and so we decided to give the planetkiller scenario a shot. We opted for the standard 300 points vs. the planetkiller, and I elected to be the planet killer (I am also much more experienced with the game than Ken)

After looking through my ship selection, Ken decided upon the Kzinti Command Cruiser and two Kzinti frigates. I thought nothing more of it, as my planetkiller is armed with 4 phaser-4's!

The target Kzinti colony started 100 hexes away from the planet killer, and the Kzinti defense force began 50 hexes away from planet killer and planet (between the two of them)

The game started with the entire Kzinti defense force flying at an accelerated speed of 24+1 directly towards the planetkiller, which pushed forward towards the planet at 16+1, which so happens to be it's top speed. The command cruiser pushed directly towards the planetkiller and the frigates split off to their respective sides to attempt to get around the planet killer.

As the Command Cruiser grew ever closer, he let loose all 4 drones and continued to fly at 24+1, outpacing his own projectiles. The Frigates continued to maneuver but slipped behind leaving the command cruiser directly in the front arc of the planetkiller. The planet killer saved all weapons until the Command cruiser was at it's closest (on impulse 8) and let loose with all 4 phaser-4's tearing through the command cruisers shield and destroying very few weapons and engines systems due to poor damage rolls. The command cruiser responded with a volley of every weapon it could muster, including all overloaded disruptors which tore through the planet killers shield and managed to damage a large amount of armor. The drones were just too far out of range for the phaser-3's to be of use.

The next turn saw the command cruiser closing for one last volley as the planet killer and the cruiser exchanged blows again, with the planet killers weapons destroying a new shield and effectively crippling the command cruiser. The cruiser's volley pierced through the planet killers armor and with lucky rolling, began to destroy vital phaser-3's and engines. It also let off it's last two remaining drones which would quickly come to bear on the planet killer. The two frigates maneuvered about until they were in good positions to fire a combined 8 drones!

The already wounded planet killer was impacted with a total of 14 drones within two impulses. Unforunatley, he was only able to destroy 6 drones, and tractor 4, leaving four to smash into it's exposed systems. With a series of disastrous hits, tractor beams were subsequently destroyed leaving 2 more drones to hit, totalling 6 drones impacted sucessfully! Even the planet killer was unable to soak such a large amount of damage, and was neutralized not even half way to it's target!

OW. Is this the winning combo for taking out the PK? Each Kzinti frigate is 80 points, but has 4 drone launchers and a disruptor making a deadly barrage when all drones impact on the same turn. Did I really botch playing the planet killer or the scenario just that easy for the defender? I may have (largely) destroyed the Kzinti command cruiser, but those drones were too much to deal with. Even 8 ph-3's and 4 tractors can't deal with that onslaught!

Should we play it with the planet killer closer next time? Or should the defender get less points? Anyone else had similar experiences with this scenario?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darrell Hanning
United States
Jacksonville
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
We will meet at the Hour of Scampering.
mbmbmbmbmb
My only repsonse is, if they had written drones into the original series, William Windom wouldn't have had to die.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Tenhoff
United States
Simi Valley
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We were able to destroy the Planet Killer with a C7 and D6 in a three player game, so it's not the Kzinti Frigates.

In our game, the Planet Killer had a similiar problem with Drones. The two Klingon Cruisers were able to stack up their drones while keeping the range in the low teens. The P-4s did some damage, but not enough to devestate, especially since we kept alternating which shield was exposed during the attack run. We even threw a suicide shuttle at it at one point to soak up some fire.

Eventually our Cruisers started getting hits through the armor, and the P-3s and tractors on the Planet Killer were slowly worn down. This led to some drones hitting and then finally some phaser hits on the P-4s. At that point, we charged and finished it off.

I haven't played as the Planet Killer yet, but I think that you can't just act like a bull in the china shop . Since it's an equal BPV battle, you're going to have to maneuver. At 16+1 you're as fast as the drones, so you have to look for ways to outmaneuver them, which requires you to turn off and sideslip away for a bit. If you can cut the damage from the drones, you can go back on the offensive while your opponent is reloading. And if you can do just a bit of damage while he's shooting drones at you, you'll make him choose between reloading and repairing .

I wonder how the Planet Killer would do against a plasma armed fleet...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan A.
United States
Everett
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This session report has just about sold me on buying one of the new Federation Commander kits.

Could I play this scenario if I buy Romulan Border instead of Klingon Border?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Warnken
United States
Harrison
Ohio
flag msg tools
I'm not crazy. My mother had me tested.
badge
Happy grandfather!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
The card for the planet killer is in Klingon Border but ADB sells the ship cards as spare parts. Romulan Border has the space dragon monster, Klingon Attack has the Juggernaut, and Romulan Attack has the space ameoba.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian
Denmark
København
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
crusader4x wrote:
This session report has just about sold me on buying one of the new Federation Commander kits.

Could I play this scenario if I buy Romulan Border instead of Klingon Border?

Glad I could be of assistance! You won't regret it, I've gotten to play this one a hell of a lot, it's fast and fun! Hell, my girlfriend even likes it!

I also must add, that I'm really looking forward to the space dragon, juggernaut and space amoeba that will all be showing up at my door tommorow! (They've turned me into a junkie!)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathaniel GOUSSET
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DarrellKH wrote:
My only repsonse is, if they had written drones into the original series, William Windom wouldn't have had to die.

???

Meaning ?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Cox
Japan
Tokyo
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
IKerensky wrote:
DarrellKH wrote:

???

Meaning ?

This, I believe:
http://memory-alpha.org/wiki/Matt_Decker

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.