11 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Press Releases

Subject: A New Hard Hitting Gangster Game rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: Game [+] Mob [+] [View All]
Jeppe Kjærsgaard
Denmark
flag msg tools
King of Chicago is a brand new gangster game with teeth and edge that lets you lower your moral standards for a couple of hours, shoot your best friends in drive-by bullet rains and fight your way through diplomacy, betrayal and corrupted police to become the King of Chicago.

The game is designed to combine the atmosphere of the 1920ies Chicago with the ruthless violence and dubious gangster honor of the time.

King of Chicago is finally launched at Spiel Fair 06 in Essen (come visit us in hall 4, booth 134). It is designed and produced by Tusbas in a limited edition of 3000 games… but we will only be able to bring a small amount of games with us. We sell the game at Essen at a reduced launch prize of 50 euro – we have already had a large amount of preorders – so to make sure you get a game, pre-order today by sending an email to info@kingofchicago.info. Visit our newly updated website www.kingofchicago.info for pictures of the game, the rules and more information. The game will also be available for purchase from our website www.kingofchicago.info and retailers at the end of October.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrea Jørgensen
Denmark
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Wauw! The game is very beautiful and looks quite exciting
When/where will it be possible to buy it in Denmark?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank Strauss
Germany
Berlin
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
badge
I´m trying to get 300 years old, so now I´m a teenager
mbmbmbmbmb
Looks very nice !
The funny thing is, I created a very similar looking Mafia game 2 years ago but it never gets public because of the "Theme".

I think I´m going to buy the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darrell Hanning
United States
Jacksonville
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
We will meet at the Hour of Scampering.
mbmbmbmbmb
Jeppe, I must say, beautiful-looking components.

I've skimmed through the rules. One spelling item - "loose" means not attached, and "lose" means to fail in conflict or competition. It's a common error, but I thought you'd want your rules book to look as professional as possible.

The one potentially troubling element I found was how the car is the main (or only) means of moving your forces (men) around the board, but that its movement is determined by the roll of a die. This type of movement method is often frowned upon in a game of strategy, as the difference between rolling a one (or two ones, on consecutive turns) and a six (or sixes) is usually too great a difference - a difference great enough to make luck as big an element in deciding the game's outcome as a player's strategy is. In your playtesting, did you find this to be a problem?

Great-looking game. Looking forward to it!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J. Green
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Looks magnificent. Chilling design choice with the black, white and red graphics. I'm looking forward to hearing reviews of this!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Martin
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Looks great!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dwayne Hendrickson
United States
Oklahoma City
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Any particular reason there is an outline of a jackalope on your money, I mean other than Capone died from choking on a jackalope bone?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrea Jørgensen
Denmark
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I got the chance to play King of Chicago at "Viking con" (in Denmark) today and it was funny, challenging and surprised me in a positive way. It's a pleasure finally to find a serious and exciting mafia game (and it's definitely better than Bootleggers).

Jeppe & co. - thumbs up and keep up the good work!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeppe Kjærsgaard
Denmark
flag msg tools
DarrellKH wrote:
Jeppe, I must say, beautiful-looking components.

I've skimmed through the rules. One spelling item - "loose" means not attached, and "lose" means to fail in conflict or competition. It's a common error, but I thought you'd want your rules book to look as professional as possible.

The one potentially troubling element I found was how the car is the main (or only) means of moving your forces (men) around the board, but that its movement is determined by the roll of a die. This type of movement method is often frowned upon in a game of strategy, as the difference between rolling a one (or two ones, on consecutive turns) and a six (or sixes) is usually too great a difference - a difference great enough to make luck as big an element in deciding the game's outcome as a player's strategy is. In your playtesting, did you find this to be a problem?

Great-looking game. Looking forward to it!

Thank you all for the interest

When we playtested the game we didn't find the dice for moving the car to be a problem. It gives the game a little element of luck, but it is not decisive for the outcome of the game. The die rolls do not change your overall strategies, and the luck evens out in the long run.

We have chosen to use the dice because it gives the game a nice car chase element and a sort of realistic image of the traffic in downtown Chicago that you would not get if you had a fixed number of squares to move.

Best regards
Jeppe

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darrell Hanning
United States
Jacksonville
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
We will meet at the Hour of Scampering.
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
It gives the game a little element of luck, but it is not decisive for the outcome of the game. The die rolls do not change your overall strategies, and the luck evens out in the long run.

Why do I get images of Tenjo flashing in my head, when I hear this?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.