Popular Tags: [View All]
Felix Rodriguez
United States
Somerville
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Hey Guys, I was wondering if you had any suggestions for what to do with Crystal Cards on one off games. If you aren't keeping track of crystals, its kind of useless...

My first variant was to "lock" the dragon with the crystal. This essentially means putting the dragon on top of the crystal card, and your opponent can't take it away. If all dragons on your side are "locked" then the opponent takes a dragon from the middle.

This seems more powerful than the original crystal cards tho'. And if you lock two dragons you're essentially guaranteed a cheap win. So my second thought is: If your opponent has a dragon locked by a crystal and you win a dragon you may destroy the "lock" instead of grabbing a crystal.

I'm not sure if this is still too powerful - its still clearly better than the initial crystal card.

Thoughts and other ideas? I play most of my games as one offs without crystal points so I really want some sort of variant to make those cards not useless.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Allen Doum
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Given that opposing Crystal cards cancel each other out, your suggestion stays pretty much on target with the original intent.

If I may offer a simpler suggestion, for single games you could say that if a player plays a Crystal card under the text restrictions, that the effect is that he attracts another Dragon. This might shorten some games and increase the value of the Crystals, but is a simpler fix than "locking".

I also note that the Hoax, Khind, Terrah, and the Buka and Phar Emissaries reference the Crystal cards, and then they are only used in the Emissaries game. The standard, advanced and Inquisitors games have no problem. The Buka Invasion deck also has no reference to Crystals. So there is still a lot of variation to the game where there is no problem.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew M
United States
New Haven
Connecticut
flag msg tools
admin
8/8 FREE, PROTECTED
badge
513ers Assemble!
mbmbmbmbmb
They also feature the Replace icon, so if nothing else they cycle your deck faster.

-MMM

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.