Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Derek Gallacher
Canada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The Basics

- a big and beautiful theme oriented game (medieval)
- adventure
- cooperative (he,he,he, sure it is)
- card driven combat/goal achieval system
- subversive elements
- random +/- events/modifiers
- mechanism in place to control random(ness?)

mmmmmmmmmm, feels like I'm forgetting something . . . oh, yes, now I remember - THE GAME FIGHTS BACK AND BEATS YOUR DUMB ASS DOWN!

But first -

What's in the box?

- Very colourful gameboard of Camelot and the Round Table, with its surrounding Quests
- 3 just as colourful double-sided Quests (the Holy Grail, Excalibur, and Lancelot & the Dragon)
- 16 Swords of the Round Table (cheap cardboard)
- 168 cards (some good for you - some not so much)
- 7 Coat of Arms used as character profile sheets
- 7 standard dice (one for each Knight to track life)
- 1 8-sided die for the Siege Engines
- 30 Miniatures of which not a single one is painted or any colour othe than grey (7 Knights, 3 Relics, 12 Siege Engines, 4 Saxon and 4 Pict warriors)

The Premise

You are a noble night.
You serve the realm of Camelot.
Camelot and it's borders are under constant attack.

Your Goal

Collectively:
Defend the borders
Battle the Siege on Camelot
Reclaim long lost relics (Grail, Excalibur, Lancelot's Armor)
Discern if there be a traitor amoung the Knights of the round table.
Load the Round Table with swords of light (awarded when a "Quest" is completed successfuly)

And just how do you accomplish these goals?

Each "Quest" is fought with a card management battle system.
You begin the game with cards (varrying battle values and special game abilities)
You may obtain cards throughout the game by: completing "Quests", visiting Camelot, or having a special game ability grant you cards.
The Grail quest is slightly different in that you do not "battle" for the grail in as much as special ability cards permit you to "find" it.

"Quests may be fought alone or in groups of Knights working together. The gameboard is very clear on which ones may be attempted in collective groups.

The Knights help each other by adding their card values and abilites to a collective battle or goal.

Seems staight forward - no?

HELL NO!

On each of your turns a knight MUST perform the following acts:

1st - Progress evil (the single nastiest mechanism in the game)

By progressing evil the knight sets in place the mechanism for the game to fight back. The knight MUST do one of the following:

-place a siege engine around Camelot (12 of these around Camelot = Game Over)
-Draw a black card and play it (these are bad, they add Saxons and Picts to fight on the borders, despair when seeking out the grail, increase the strength of the black knight/dragon/bridge guardian, or move Excalibur closer to depths of the lake where it will be lost.

OR

You can lose a life counter. You only start with 4. You can never have more than 6, and each time you lose a quest you get beat for life as well.
A noble action indeed, but one that forces your needed warriors to become weaker as the game rolls along.

2nd - Heroic Action

Only after progressing evil can the night attempt to perform a single Heroic action. Of the options available for performing a heroic action, only one involves progressing a "Quest". That means that the game is continually pumping out evil against you. It just won't stop! It NEVER STOPS BEEING EVIL! EVER! IT JUST KEEPS BUILDING AND BUILDING ALL GAME LONG!

But that is ok. You are a band of noble knights who will strategically combine your forces, to best make use of your powers and nobility to fend off the onslaught -

EXCEPT

There may be a traitor in your midsts. devil

As the game begins each knight is given a loyalty card at random. There is always one more card is in the loyalty pile than players. One of the loyalty cards says TRAITOR. It may have been drawn, it may not have been drawn. You just don't know.

The traitor works against as the game unfolds. Secretly. Behind the scenes. They look like your buddy. Act like your buddy, but why did they put that siege engine out when they could have lost a life? They still had 4 life . . . Did they really have to go back to Camelot to get more batttle cards?
Why didn't they help me with the Picts?

A TRAITOR!

A knight may, once per game, use a Heroic action to accuse a fellow knight of being the traitor.
Problem solved right?
Just accuse everyone right?

WRONG!

A false accusation promotes evil and places dark swords on the Round Table. 7 or more of these and the game ends. You lose a "Quest" and guess what you get in addition to life loss - - - that's right, BLACK SWORDS.

But hey, no problem. I know that Sir Palamedes is the traitor. I call him out. He is. Problem solved

WRONG AGAIN!

An exposed traitor now turns over their character card and begins to work OPENLY against the knights.

SLAP, SLAP, SLAP. MY PIMP HAND IS STRONG!

In large mixed groups of gamers, non gamers, spouses and friends we rarely have as much FUN as when we break out Shadows over Camelot.
We've even won twice, alright once, we'll call the other a draw.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Seitz
United States
Glen Allen
VA
flag msg tools
badge
Like water spilled on the ground, which cannot be recovered, so we must die. But God does not take away life; instead, he devises ways so that a banished person may not remain estranged from him. 2 Sam 14:14
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: This Game's Pimp Hand Is Strong - Bitch Slapped Us All N
MacGee wrote:
In large mixed groups of gamers, non gamers, spouses and friends we rarely have as much as when we break out Shadows over Camelot.

As much ... what? Fun? Sex? Beer?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Leveille
Canada
St. Catharines
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Fun, sure, that's it, fun.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek Gallacher
Canada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey, just because we play together does not let you imply that our wives are loose. Sure yours is, but not mine.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael McCall
United States
New York
flag msg tools
MacGee wrote:
...we'll call the other a draw.

Except that evil wins ties...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek Gallacher
Canada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yup, but in our first game played - we mis-interpreted a heroic action causing evil to gain advantages they wouldn't normally. We lost 1 turn before we would have won. After double checking we still gave evil the win but in our hearts we all know that we had'em on the run.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
RIK FONTANA
United States
St. George
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Great Review Derek... our group will give it a try this Saturday. I'm cautiously hopeful about the result. But regardless, the game looks to be unique, intriguing, a challenge, and we're expecting quite a bit of fun.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek Gallacher
Canada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Let me know how it goes.
Remember to keep up the banter throughout the game. It just makes it that much beter, and adds to the "feel" of the evening. :-)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Smith
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mb
Loved your review... thanks for the laughs.
I will go out and give this one a try since I really want to play another co-op game (my last one was Omega Virus... haha).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.