Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: seattle [+] [View All]
Joshua Ostrander
United States
Henrietta
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I am visiting a friend up in Seattle all next week (Oct. 14th-22nd). Does anyone have any suggestions for little known things I shouldn't miss in the area? Both gaming and non-gaming related. Otherwise I may end up spending too much time on his new XBox 360.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Maxwell
United States
Arvada
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In Seattle itself:

Space Needle and the rest of Seattle Center
Pike Place Market (Watch for flying fish!)
The original Starbucks is across the street from Pike Place Market
The waterfront, particularly Ye Old Traders Shoppe
The U. of Washington campus
Ballard Locks
Kerry Park has great views of downtown
Alki Beach in West Seattle
Eat at Dick's Drive-In (Wallingford, Queen Anne, Capitol Hill, Lake City, and there's a 5th location I'm blanking on) and Ivar's (The original is on the waterfront but there's also the Salmon House on Portage Bay and they're in every mall food court in the NW)
Boeing Museum of Flight

In the area:
Take a ferry ride across the Sound
Great hiking in the Cascades

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Maxwell
United States
Arvada
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
violentzen wrote:
For it's cultural and historical value, Pike's Place Market is a must-see. On the 2nd level is a comic book store, Golden Age Collectibles. Notable for it's outrageously marked-up boardgames.

If you like Irish pubs, or just a good bar, check out the Owl 'N Thistle.

Otherwise known as Golden Gouge Collectables, and believed to be the inspiration for the comic shop and Comic Book Guy in the Simpsons.

The George and Dragon in Fremont is supposed to be a good Irish Pub as well, though I've never been.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
anoni mouse
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would also recommend eating Dixies BBQ in bellevue 11522 Northup Way, Bellevue

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rod Fage
Canada
Kanata
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
One of the Uncle's Games Puzzles & More has a game night on Friday nights. I can't remember which one but you could call.

Also, there is a Brazilian barbeque downtown Seattle that I go to. You must be a meat eater because that is why you go. It is not cheap but it is very good. They keep bringing spit cooked meat to the table until you say stop.

I have also been to some very nice Vietnamese restaurants as well. One was called the Tamarind Tree.

Have a great trip. I am in Seattle next week myself.

ROD>

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Thorp
United States
Granite Falls
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
"Come on! Come on! Come and get it, baby! Come on! I don't got all day! Come on! Come on! Come on you bastard! Come on, you too! Oh, you want some of this? "
mbmbmbmbmb
The George and Dragon in Fremont is excellent.
For Games, Gary's games on 85th and Greenwood.

Enjoy! Seattle is more than granola munching, Starbucks sipping peaceniks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gasworks park is nifty. As is just wandering around Fremont. I worked for a summer in Seattle and completely LOVED it. Great city.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Ahern
United States
Spokane
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
JasonRMax wrote:
In Seattle itself:

Eat at Dick's Drive-In (Wallingford, Queen Anne, Capitol Hill, Lake City, and there's a 5th location I'm blanking on)

The one in the U-District?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam D.
United States
Suquamish
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Good suggestions. I would emphasize the go-to-Dicks Drive In and Gary's Games up in Greenwood. The latter has a heck of a used game section up there scattered all about. Could be some good treasure hunting

If you're already at the Market you might try Kell's in Post alley for brews.

The Boeing Air and Space museum south of town is pretty nice imho.

If you absolutely must take a ferry ride, go for it. I commuted on the dang thing, so it's subjective enjoyment, lol.

If you are a baseball fan, Safeco Field is pretty dang nice.

Have fun!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Maxwell
United States
Arvada
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
BookandGame wrote:
JasonRMax wrote:
In Seattle itself:

Eat at Dick's Drive-In (Wallingford, Queen Anne, Capitol Hill, Lake City, and there's a 5th location I'm blanking on)

The one in the U-District?

That's the Wallingford one (The original). I-5 is typically accepted as the border between the U-District and Wallingford.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Thorp
United States
Granite Falls
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
"Come on! Come on! Come and get it, baby! Come on! I don't got all day! Come on! Come on! Come on you bastard! Come on, you too! Oh, you want some of this? "
mbmbmbmbmb
And it's right across the street form Golden Oldies Records, a great place to shop if you're into vinyl records (I used to work there).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Miller
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The Uncle's game group is in Redmond, (across the lake), in the Redmond Towne Center.

Gary's Games is a good shop, but their used section is pretty sparse these days, (cause I'm there every couple of days taking anything decent that shows up, and there hasn't been anything new in weeks).

But stuff to see, all the previous ideas are good.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian
Denmark
København
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey! That's why I can't find anything good used anymore there!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karl Deckard
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Vivace coffee on Capitol Hill is an absolute must; either the main location or even the street stand on Broadway. Makes Starbucks taste like tap water.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Ballinger
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The standard tour:

Fremont - see the Troll under Aurora Avenue (Hwy 99), then head west, passing the Lenin statue.

Continue on up Leary Way to Ballard, getting on Market Street Westbound. Stop at Archie McPhee's. Back in the car, another two blocks west to the Ballard Locks. Watch some boats go through. Walk to the far end and go down into the fish ladder viewing area. (Huge fish going through right now!)

Back in the car, go across the Ballard Bridge (15th ave NW) eyeballing the fishing fleet. If you have time, follow the signs to Discovery Park and go for a very nice walk (about two miles) down to the beach and the lighthouse.

Back in the car, continue south on what is now Elliot Avenue to downtown. Go to the Pike Place market, Pioneer Square. Take the underground tour if you've got money to blow. If not, visit the Klondike Museum.

Consider the Frye Art Museum (it's free!) on Cherry just up the hill from downtown. If you go to the U District, consider the Henry Art Gallery.

If you have no car, do the U district and downtown by bus. Take the monorail to ballard for Archie McPhee's and the Locks. (Oops! Not gonna happen.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim K.
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
For fantastic, cheap eats, make the effort to get to one of these two:

Agua Verde
http://www.aguaverde.com/
Great Mexican food with a view (the mango-dillas and sweet potato tacos are wonderful). Go during off-peak hours and/or when it's not sunny.

Paseo Caribbean food
http://www.seattlest.com/archives/2005/09/02/relish_paseo_ca...
Out of this world marinated pork sandwiches. Very crowded during peak hours, scant seating, not so swift service.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kirk Monsen
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
thniff wrote:
The standard tour:

Fremont - see the Troll under Aurora Avenue (Hwy 99), then head west, passing the Lenin statue.

Continue on up Leary Way to Ballard, getting on Market Street Westbound. Stop at Archie McPhee's.

I second this .. everyone should visit the Troll ... and then stop by Archie McPhee's after

-Munch "who can resist an Edgar Allen Poe action figure?" Wolf

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Ostrander
United States
Henrietta
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow, thanks for all the responses! Now all I need to do is wake up in time to be on a plane at 6:00am!

I am going to need my own personal Starbucks to keep me awake!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Morgan Dontanville
United States
Charlottesville
VA
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Plate of Shrimp.
badge
Here we are folks, the dream we all dream of.
mbmbmbmbmb
djflippy wrote:
Vivace coffee on Capitol Hill is an absolute must; either the main location or even the street stand on Broadway. Makes Starbucks taste like tap water.

The greatest coffee known to man.

Mmmmm...White Velvet.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
...sure...
Netherlands
Rijen
Noord Brabant
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
FLGS: http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/120302

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam D.
United States
Suquamish
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok, let's be honest. Starbucks is so over-roasted it might as well be chicory.

Go with Montepulciano while they still exist. do they still exist? (I dunno, I live in Poulsbo.) Best coffee in the coffee conscious town that is Seattle. There used to be one up around 9th and Lenora.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Ostrander
United States
Henrietta
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
JasonRMax wrote:
violentzen wrote:
For it's cultural and historical value, Pike's Place Market is a must-see. On the 2nd level is a comic book store, Golden Age Collectibles. Notable for it's outrageously marked-up boardgames.

Otherwise known as Golden Gouge Collectables, and believed to be the inspiration for the comic shop and Comic Book Guy in the Simpsons.

The George and Dragon in Fremont is supposed to be a good Irish Pub as well, though I've never been.

I visited Pike Market today, it was quite a sight, and a beautiful day today. (first day it hasn't rained) Although there was no Golden Age Collectibles. Looks like they moved the place was totally empty. They had moving signs on the door but no new location was noted.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Stever
United States
Bainbridge Island
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
violentzen wrote:

I also recommend the Owl 'n Thistle. It's the good news when I miss my ferry ride, 1 cold Harp and an incredible basket of fries.

Yes, take a ferry ride...on a sunny day if possible.

I like the SciFi Museum.

Go see Flags of our Fathers at Cinerama. It opens on Friday.

I like the Museum of Flight also.

If you want to hit a good comic shop, go to Zanadu. It's downtown on Third.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
steven richard
United States
seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Nice. After living here for a few years, I sometimes forget how rich this city really is. Just got back from Go night at the Canterbury in Capitol Hill (Tuesday nights at 9pm) and saw this message.

Anywhosil, one of Seattle's great treasures that doesn't make it to the guide books that much is Scarecrow Video in the U District. Imagine a video store with the feel of an old used bookstore but with the size and selection of a huge department store and you're halfway there. As far as I know (and have heard), the greatest Video rental in existence.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Newman
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Is American Eagles (the game and hobby store) still open? Their web site is down, and their number just rings.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.