Popular Tags: [View All]
Richard Partin
United States
Urbana
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I've taken some time to read about "Warangel," including the board game
and card versions, both on Angelo's website and on BGG. I'm curious to hear Angelo's assessment of the two versions and I'd like his opinion about why he created the two versions, and which one he might recommend if I or others were to buy one or the other. For example, the cards in the card version are very familiar to me from having "Peacebowl," but the block playing pieces and artwork from the board game version also have the stamp of Angelo's style.

Thanks,

Rick P.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Angelo Porazzi
Italy
Milano
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Ciao Rick,
thank to you for your interest and for reading here on BGG and on my website about these two games.
For other users and love of clearest communication: latest version is
Warangel 10 Years Edition,
published in 2006 and is described here on BGG
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/game/490
Warangel Card Game
was distributed by Hasbro Italy in 2002 and is described here on BGG
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/game/7088

And now I try my best english in answering your question

> I'm curious to hear your own assessment of the two versions and I'd like your opinion about why you created the two versions,

Warangel is now a "universo" with a quite long story: this year, to celebrate first 10 years of this game, was published first book, and different versions of the game was published.
So to understand "why" I created them, is necessary a little of background.
As most interested gamers in Warangel already know, this game borns as collectible issues in 1996.
Game was distributed in newspapers stands and reached thousands of italian gamers.
Their feedback in requesting next Generations was simply enthusiastic.
So on 2000 I decided to selproduce first boxed edition of Warangel (Warangel 2000) that was awarded as Best Italian Game 2000 in Ludex Bologna, LuccaGames (our greatest luding fair), Milano Games and AcquiComics.
Right in my booth at Lucca 2001 I received visit of people working for Hasbro Italy.
They said that illustrations and characters in the game where gorgeous but the hexed maps and the wargame mood of Warangel 2000 was "too much" for Italian Great Distribution - Mass Market of that time.
They were interested in a complete card game with same character and basic values of Warangel warriors.
The target was children 6 years and up, as wrote on Warangel Card Game box, so I studied a very simple rulesheet spllitted in three levels to allows also younger gamers learning numbers, to enter this fantasy universo.
Great distribution in Italy does not offers "gamers' games" but just children games or easy party games.
In Italy Games are still considered "things for children" and so mass market games must be studied for children basically.
Our market is still very young and in these 10 years I did all my best to let this italian gaming world groove in culture and knoweledge. The golden plate I received at latest ModCon06 says it all
So in 2002 I realized from A to Z the Warangel Card Game that was first italian selfproduced game, created and illustrated by same author, distributed by Hasbro Italy.
You can imagine my emotion seeing that homemadegame on their catalogue:
http://warangel.it/cards.html

Year after year Warangel received lots of new ideas in races and in contacts from out of Italy gamers.
At Essen 2004 I premiered Generations of Warangel translated in my bad english with small reference sheets.
To me was an enormous work.
Many good gamer friends from Austria, Germany, South Africa, US, England, Australia, Korea, begun helping me in re-writing these Reference Sheets and I followed the hints received on BGG, making these new Reference Sheets larger, in A4 format.
Now at Essen 2006 (next week, I am preparing all my games) I am ready with Warangel 10 Yares Edition that has inside the box A4 Reference Sheets of 1st Generaton.
Now are also ready all races in English of 2nd, 3rd and 4th Generations in A4 format.
Some races of 5th and 6th Generations are ready too in English and A4 format (Immortals, Egyptians, Indians...) and will be premiered at Essen with their own Hexed Maps representing real sectors of Earth, another enormous work but really interesting: I learn a lot in Gography.
That's the short why I realized the Warangel Card Game Hasbro and the Warangel 10 Years Edition.
Because I love create and illustate games and I'm honoured this game please both children and gamers.
I do my best to satisfy all this kinds of gamers that show interest in what I love to do.

>which one you might recommend if I were to buy one or the other.

They are two different games, in the same fantasy universo, but with two different goals-targets.
Warangel Card Game Hasbro is a mass market product 6 years and up.
For feedback I received, and from comments here on BGG, I see it is appreciated by dads with children, families with young gamers, perfect if they are learning numbers. It is very good to let the children paragone the numbers, know the warriors, their weapons, their abilities. Artwork is at same level of a standard Generation expansion of Warangel.
Indeed Warangel Card Game, illustrates races of 8th Generation and you could read cards to use these warriors on Warangel hexed maps too.
Anyway, to perfectly satisfy Warangel 10 Years Editions Gamers I already realized 8th Generation's Races Reference Sheets in standard A4 format.

About my idea of Warangel 10 Years Edition
I found an excellent idea, that I will also introduce at EssenSpiel this year, "Create YOUR Warangel" I illustrated on my website www.warangel.it with all splitted prices to let each gamer choose his own favourite race, from any Generation, to have "ready to play" races mounted on painted woodenbocks at 10 euro each, if they like this solution.
At recent italians cons and fairs I see that this idea is really appreciated due gamers can SEE and CHOOSE the races they like most.
A gamer now can take the complete base game and add, for example, Chelates of 2nd Generation and Diamonds of 4th Generation.
Taking these races mounted on the round, painted woodenblocks that was maybe best upgrade of this game in these 10 Years. Gamer may see and choose any single Map, for example takes Tigri and Euphrate's Iraq map of Chelates of SouthAfrican mountains of Diamonds' Race.
SEE and CHOOSE, that is why I love to partecipate cons.
Because I can know people interested in my games and they can SEE and CHOOSE what they like.
Warangel offers a wide variety of races and maps, all hand illustrated: I think that this variety and artwork are the best plus of the game.
The 10 Years Edition rulebook is all laminated, protected in plastic A4 copybook, to perfectly collect Reference Sheets of the Base Box and Reference Sheets of other Generations you may pick up at your choice.
Rules are simple, to allow dads to play with their children of about 8-12 years old to play with them.
To allow 30 yo gamers play with their girlfriends.
This is what I see at latest Italian Tournament in ModCon06.
Simple means simple, not stupid, in fact the Tournaments are always won by the gamers with the greatest experience in the game.
I see that the more you play Warangel, the more you know the different races, the more you get able to "read" the game in any situation, against any other race or any other gamer.
Gamer counts a lot in the game due each single race can be played as offensive or defensive, each gamer interpretate the same race in different way and this is great to me that see the same race played in different Tournament by different players in very different ways.
In 10 years I never seen the same battle.
And honestly when I play it or see play it at my Tournaments I always enjoy a lot.

Answering your question: which I would recommend?
I can describe them as best as I can, here and on my website, then it is up to you, age of your children, flavour of your gaming group, choose what you like

>For example, the cards in the card version are very familiar to me from having "Peacebowl," but the block playing pieces and artwork from the board game version also have the stamp of your style.

Yes I understand it very well: many gamers write me same thing and I appreciate your kind feedback.
Shure "the stamp of my style" both in writing and in illustrating is present in all of my games.
Either the ones with Fantasy Illustrations like Warangel or the ones with Cartoon-Fun illustrations like PeaceBowl you mentioned, or TATATA!. Some illustrator told me that best synthesis of my style is reached in latest WrestAngel illustrations where I realized warriors in comic style buth with great attention to proportions and movements.
Honestly I give to artwork and style, "soul" in each game, the main importance. I mean not only in my games.
When I see a game that clearly shows up an own style and character, that is a game that keeps my attention and always has something good inside. And in time.

>Thanks for your time,
Rick

Thank to you Rick, you all are welcome
Essen Fair 06 is near: 19-22 october
If you like to know me and my games "live", you are welcome at botth 9-28, it is a great occasion to meet and know each other.
Ciao!
Angelo Porazzi
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Partin
United States
Urbana
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Thanks Angelo, for such a thorough answer. With 7-, 12-, and 13-year-old boys, I think the board game would be the best choice for me.

I also like what you said about involving kids in playing and rating games, especially the latter and paying attention to what they say. If nothing else, they're certainly honest. I had already taught my older boys the basic version of "Peacebowl," and they like it a lot. Two nights ago I taught the basic game to my 7-year-old. He didn't much like it when, after he scored a 1-point touchdown to a sideline to take a 1-0 lead, I picked up all the cards. He didn't want to part with what he thought were good ones. But he soon got over that disappointment when on the next round he found a warrior open in the endzone for a 3-point scoring pass. On the ensuing round he again played the Pass Card for a long score, finishing off Dad 7-0. (Of course, on the third round I didn't have the heart to play my "Steal Ball" or "Wild Card," but it's in my long-term interest to let him win the first time or two out so that he's excited about playing.)

Yesterday morning when I drove him to school he started trash-talking me and telling me how he's going to beat me next time by playing the Pass Card again. And this morning when I drove him to school and he was about to get out of the car, he suddently looked back and me and said, "I'm going to beat your butt with a Fly-12!" (Anyone who's played the game knows what he's referring to, and the little so-and-so has only played it once.)

Man, I get no respect!

--Rick P.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Angelo Porazzi
Italy
Milano
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
>Thanks Angelo, for such a thorough answer. With 7-, 12-, and 13-year-old boys, I think the board game would be the best choice for me.

Ciao Rick
Just returned from Essen
The Warangel 10 Years Edition you are writing about
SOLD OUT
at Essen in the first two days of fair, 19 and 20!
On 21, saturday, I decided to give to and interested
french gamer who arrived with Warangel 10 Years Edition in 1st place of his wishlist and then have there no more elements of the base game.
Anyway many gamers after that, picked up the races already mounted on painted woodenblocks with the idea Create YOUR Warangel I illustrated at my beat in Essen with a cear leaflet that allowed many other gamers to CREATE their own copies of the games buyng races and hexed maps at their choice.
It was REALLY nice, soon you'll find the usual PhotoReport of Essen 06 on my website www.warangel.it.
I knew many authors, journalists, distributors, gamers from so many countries: Essen is a real hit.
Ciao
Angelo

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Partin
United States
Urbana
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Sounds great, Angelo. I'm glad things went well for you, especially with Warangel 10 Years Edition. Congratulations!

Best,

Rick

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.