Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Chris Roberts
United Kingdom
Bath
B & NES
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Just pre-ordered the English language version of Battlelore via the Europe DoW site with promo Elemental and Hill Giant figures thrown in for free!!

Date for despatch given as 30th November in Europe. I would expect a rush on the site this evening!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Greisz
United States
McKinney
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It seems unfair that the pre-order on their Europe site includes the elemental and hill giant, while only the hill giant is on the US site.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Hautemont
United States
Los Altos
California
flag msg tools
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Jon,

This is discussed in detail on the comments to the most recent blog entries.

Different countries have different distribution policies and mechanisms:

In Europe, the various countries have allocation quotas (rather than being blanket offered to any pre-orders, the promo minis are limited to the first xxx orders).

In the US, the Hill Giant will be shipped to anyone that pre-orders ahead of the game's shipment; the Earth Elemental will be widely distributed upon release of the actual game.

Eric @ DoW

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Coles
United Kingdom
Bournemouth
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
JonnyG wrote:
It seems unfair that the pre-order on their Europe site includes the elemental and hill giant, while only the hill giant is on the US site.

Don't forget that 70 euros is about $88! I'm sure you'll be able to pick up an earth elemental with the $18 you save

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Greisz
United States
McKinney
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I already pre-ordered from the DoW site before complaining about this here and on the blog.

As for the $18 price diff, if I could buy the Elemental for the $18 I would be fine with that. Unfortunately it's for conventions and demo's. Something I've never done, and with my work schedule and kiddos am unlikely to do in the future.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eddie the Cranky Gamer
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
Erich wrote:

Ithe Earth Elemental will be widely distributed upon release of the actual game.

Eric, I'd much appreciate it if you could look at ways to ensure Canadians do not get screwed by this.

We usually do. Or, everyone outside Toronto and Vancouver (ie. most of us) do.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Miguel (working on TENNISmind...)
France
Caen
(from Valencia, Spain)
flag msg tools
designer
My latest game: Big*Bang, a simple abstract about the first minutes of the Universe
badge
My best-rated game: Tetrarchia, about the tetrarchy that saved Rome
mbmbmbmbmb
Erich wrote:
In Europe, the various countries have allocation quotas (rather than being blanket offered to any pre-orders, the promo minis are limited to the first xxx orders).

Well, I've been following this game "from the distance" (I was considering buying it but not now), and my son sitting by my side when I've discovered the 2 creatures promo for Europe has "forced" me to pre-order... Now it's done!

Just cross fingers so that the C&C Greek Expansion I had already pre-ordered gets home at least a month before that, if not it'll be harder to expalin...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Hautemont
United States
Los Altos
California
flag msg tools
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Eddie,
We will make sure Canadians don't get "screwed" either, I promise. If you pre-order from our web site, you will receive the same service as US customers (and yes, we are planning demos & such for the Earth Elemental in Canada as well as in the US). In addition, miniatures of both type will go out to our distributor there (and from there onto stores, if you'd rather buy that way).
eric

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Seitz
United States
Glen Allen
VA
flag msg tools
badge
Like water spilled on the ground, which cannot be recovered, so we must die. But God does not take away life; instead, he devises ways so that a banished person may not remain estranged from him. 2 Sam 14:14
mbmbmbmbmb
While I'd love the Hill Giant (or at least I can imagine I would, since I have no idea what it does), buying direct from DoW seems pretty costly. Pre-order is 70 smackers vs only ~49 from on-line retailers (e.g., Thought Hammer).

$21 for ONE figure?

I "know" why they are selling at full price direct from their site, but c'mon...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Everts
United States
Foothill Ranch
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
"Nobody gets me. I'm the wind, baby!" - Tom Servo
badge
"Push the button, Frank!"
mbmbmbmbmb
out4blood wrote:
While I'd love the Hill Giant (or at least I can imagine I would, since I have no idea what it does), buying direct from DoW seems pretty costly. Pre-order is 70 smackers vs only ~49 from on-line retailers (e.g., Thought Hammer).

$21 for ONE figure?

I "know" why they are selling at full price direct from their site, but c'mon...

Just wait for ebay. Those promo figures will be up there the second they hit the local game stores. After a few weeks the price will stabilize to a few bucks a piece. Patience is your best weapon!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Rob
United States
Tampa
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
out4blood wrote:

$21 for ONE figure?

I went through the same thought process this afternoon and came up with the same answer as you. With the price difference and combined shipping, I was able to buy a second game from TH. BTW: the tiny picture of the Hill Giant on the DoW site would hardly make one rush out and buy the darn thing anyway.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
France
Caen
(from Valencia, Spain)
flag msg tools
designer
My latest game: Big*Bang, a simple abstract about the first minutes of the Universe
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think for people in Europe the decission is a bit easier: the first games on ebay will be mostly in the US (I think I saw already one). But with shipping it gets close to the full price here... and from DoW you get the giant AND the Earth elemental AND free shipping AND the french (or german) version for those going to play with kids...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
France
Caen
(from Valencia, Spain)
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Erich wrote:

BTW, Eric:

once we have preordered, is there a way to know if we are one of the first xxx? Just before the "payement" step it was clearly written on my screen that my order included the two figures, is this enough ?

Thanks!
Miguel

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Pardoe
United States
flag msg tools
badge
Erich wrote:
In the US, the Hill Giant will be shipped to anyone that pre-orders ahead of the game's shipment;

How is the Hill Giant distributed in the US? Specifically, if I order from my local game store - does the Hill Giant come with the game directly?

Or will I get a coupon or somesuch that I need to send to DoW who then sends the Hill Giant to local purchasers? Will there be a subsequent shipping charge as a result of this option?

Edit - Found the answer over at DoW forums (http://tinyurl.com/yexktx)
Eric wrote:
He will actually receive the Hill Giants ahead of the game (assuming he's a US retailer). He can simply ask his distributor, who will be sending him these figures shortly.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Hautemont
United States
Los Altos
California
flag msg tools
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes Miguel, that is sufficient. no worry.
Eric @ DoW

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.