Advanced Squad Leader» Forums » General

Subject: Chapter H question rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: asljr_rsp [+] [View All]
Kevin Munoz
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
I just bought a (used) binder of the ASL 2d ed rulebook. Everything is in it except for Chapter H. How screwed am I? I can't tell whether H is critical or useful mainly for DYOs, but I know it has to be one of the two...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Thompson
United States
Homewood
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I beleve that 2nd edition is supposed to come with Chapter H for the Germans and Russians. The rest of Chapter H comes in the various modules as needed.

Well, Chapter H has all the vehicle notes. If you play a game with a vehicle you'll need to read these notes to find out any special rules that apply.

I'd say you are leaning towards screwed.

In my opinion you have two options. Return the book and get your money back. Or find a local ASL player willing to make copies of those pages for you.

At the very least, when you play a scenario with a vehicle, you can go to the SZO (Strategy Zone Online) and ask about it. You could collect the info over time that way.

Most of the information is on the counter. But occasionaly you'll see an asterisk somewhere, and you'll have to go to the notes.

Sorry I can't help you further... unless you live near the south suburbs of Chicago.

Later,
Jeff

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Richardson
United States
Lindsborg
Kansas
flag msg tools
mb
The Chapter H pages from an old 1st edition rulebook will work just as well, if you know anyone who has an old rulebook that they are no longer using.

I think you can probably play the game without too many problems even without Chapter H, as they tried very hard to put everything you need right on the gun/vehicle counters. It's the oddball stuff – like the Tiger I's mine discharger, or the remote control AAMG on some StuGs – that is handled in the Chapter H notes rather than in the rules themselves.

There are some exotic vehicles that would be unplayable without Chapter H... but they also rarely, if ever, appear in scenarios. (Anyone ever used the mSPW S307(f) and its associated half-page of special rules and targeting diagram? Does anybody really WANT to?)

But still... you will want to get a copy of those missing Chapter H pages, somehow.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul - the
Sweden
Lund
flag msg tools
My name is Ozymandias, King of Kings; Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
badge
You spin me right round, baby - Right round like a record, baby - Right round round round - You spin me right round, baby…
mbmbmbmbmb
Try asking here instead, someone might have a spare copy they can part with.

http://www.xtreme-gamer.com/forums/advanced-squad-leader/

Otherwise you'll have to get someone to send you a scan of the chapter, but that would be at least a 40MB file.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Munoz
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
I appreciate all the suggestions, thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

It's a crime how much the value of the rulebook has dropped. I've had
opportunities to buy 1st Edition rulebooks for $20 or less. But the other suggestions are just as good.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.