Popular Tags: [View All]
Robert Zurfluh
United States
Cranbury
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I asked the question in the spielbox forum, and Fritz Gruber (I think he is one that knows what's going on @ Kosmos), said they were planing an English Edition

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve K
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
That's great news - thanks for passing it on.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Talbot
Canada
Fort Smith
Northwest Territories
flag msg tools
Be seeing you... -Alphonse
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Excellent.

Chris

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
W. Eric Martin
United States
Apex
North Carolina
flag msg tools
admin
designer
badge
Just to clarify, Kosmos probably won't publish an English edition -- one of the American publishers will. Nothing's been announced yet, though, so wait for the confirmation.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike K
United States
Fairless Hills
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
AFter about a dozen games on BSW, I think I finally got down the German events and cards. Still, I'll feel better when the English version becomes available.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Dewsbery
United Kingdom
Sutton Coldfield
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We were told that it would be published by Mayfair, while we were playing the game at the Kosmos stand in Essen.

So your guess is as good as mine as to questions like "when" and "will they mangle the artwork".

It's good enough that I was prepared to buy the German edition.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dallas Hoag
United States
Salamanca
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
lol, lets hope that they dont "mangle" the art work and get it out ina resonable time

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Kendall
United States
Lebanon
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
What a gorgeous game. Nice theme too. I hope Mayfair, or whoever, hurries.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Michaud
United States
Longwood
Florida
flag msg tools
On-Line Want List Generator - Hopefully Making Math Trades a Little Bit Easier
badge
Captain Kirk, Captain Picard, Captain Sisko, Captain Janeway, Captain Archer
mbmbmbmbmb
From http://www.boardgamenews.com/index.php/boardgamenews/comment...

For those who want to get it now, the German on the cards isn’t too onerous - the cards are open and there aren’t too many of them. For those who can wait, I’m told Mayfair will be coming out with an English version next year.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Dewsbery
United Kingdom
Sutton Coldfield
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We played less than a quarter of the game, looked at each other, and said "This is the best game we've played in the last 4 days, isn't it?".

Although in fact two of us had played something that was just as impressively good, but it is aimed at a very different market to DSdE, and I'm not allowed to talk about the other game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Michaud
United States
Longwood
Florida
flag msg tools
On-Line Want List Generator - Hopefully Making Math Trades a Little Bit Easier
badge
Captain Kirk, Captain Picard, Captain Sisko, Captain Janeway, Captain Archer
mbmbmbmbmb
When you say "last 4 days"... depends when you played this... I assume you meant you played this the last day of Essen... not the 1st game you played on the 1st day of Essen
RDewsbery wrote:
We played less than a quarter of the game, looked at each other, and said "This is the best game we've played in the last 4 days, isn't it?".

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Weber
United States
Ellicott City
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Jeff M,

regarding the amount of German on the cards. I just spoke about this from a friend of mine who just returned from Essen, played the game there and loved it, brought back 50 games, but this one was not among them, precisely because, as he told me, "there was too much German on the cards." This reminded me of the time I bought Princes of Florence (the original German edition) and how the games took 30-45 minutes longer than they should have as players all took the time to review the cribsheet with the English translations for the Prestige and Bonus cards.

So that leads to the one real important question that needs to be addressed:

When is the anticipated release date of the English edition in the US?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
http://www.penny-arcade.com/comic/2007/03/28
mbmbmbmbmb
John Weber wrote:
When is the anticipated release date of the English edition in the US?

February 2007

--Chris

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Werner Bär
Germany
Karlsruhe
Baden
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
John Weber wrote:
This reminded me of the time I bought Princes of Florence (the original German edition) and how the games took 30-45 minutes longer than they should have as players all took the time to review the cribsheet with the English translations for the Prestige and Bonus cards.

The big difference is that you secretly choose one card out of 5 in Fürsten von Florence.
In Säulen der Erde, it's 3 cards per round, open displayed (one event and 2 advantage cards).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Dewsbery
United Kingdom
Sutton Coldfield
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yup, because the cards are displayed openly, and only a few each round, it's actually easier to play in German than the original El Grande (which is probably my "high watermark" for games where you can cope with the German edition).

And yes, we played it Sunday morning - although there was nothing else played during Sunday that changed my opinion.

I suppose I could have said "This is the best game I've played at Essen so far" about each of the first three games we played on the Weds. Except it would have been grossly misleading as applied to Astoria (the first game), misleading if said about the second game (experiment), and absolutely true if said about the third game, which we played again (on the Sat evening, I think) and remained top of the list for the rest of the fair. But it has to be disqualified from any real ranking, as we were playing an as-yet unpublished game.

Of those that you could actually take away with you, Saulen was the best IMO.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.