10 Posts

Clippers» Forums » Rules

Subject: In-Game Scoring Question rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
X X

Some
msg tools
I am new to the game and have read and re-read the rules but I am just not sure how one gets paid during the game.

I know the rules talk about "Scoring & Winning," however it really does not say how the in-game score is handled.

Point 1 and 2 under the line; "Once the game ends, points are awarded as follows:" never really talk about scoring during the game itself.

It clearly speaks to "Once the game ends" here is how the scoring works.

So, is the scoring during the game take place at the end of Phase 3? If so, is it handled the same "exact" way as end game scoring?

This is the most confusing part of the game for me and has thus not allowed me to play it as of yet.

I really need clarification on this aspect of the game.

Thank you in advance.

Faithful

P.S. Also, under Components it says there are 18 Black Route Segments and 13 Purple. Is this correct as I received 17 Black and 14 Purple Route Segments?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J C Lawrence
United States
Campbell
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
There is no scoring during the game. All scoring occurs at the end of the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
X X

Some
msg tools
If this is true then I am even more confused.

How do players get paid any money through the course of the game to buy ships and bonus cards?

I can not find anything that tells how one earns money in the game.

Please help.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J C Lawrence
United States
Campbell
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Depending one what action cards they choose, players receive various amounts of money when they connect shipping lines to islands which that line has not previously reached. This is the only way money comes into the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
X X

Some
msg tools
Thank you for the reply.

Can you explain by way of an illustration as if playing the game?

As I read your mail it appears you are saying...

I connect say, the Black starting position to Gambier (which has a Number 3 in the circle at the island) I would gain either 6 dollars if I had the 2X Card. If I had the 3X card I would receive no money, and the 5X I would receive 3 dollars.

Is this correct?

Also if I go on to connect from Gambier (has a 3 in the circle at the island) to Rurutu (has a 4 in the circle at its island) would I receive say 7 dollars for both islands, or just the 4 dollars for connecting Rurutu?

I can not even fathom how people are knowing what to do and how to do it. This seems like a glaring oversight in the Rules and not a word has been mentioned before about this.

Thanks again for the help.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lewis Igo
United States
St. Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
The number on the island has nothing to do with earning money during the game, that is used only for end game scoring.

The rules refer to income earned during the game as bonuses. One receives a bonus when a player connects a trading company (colored sticks) to an island for the first time.

If a player is the first to connect a trading company to an island(i.e. the first player to connect any route to an island first), the player would earn a bonus of $2.

For every new trading company after the first to connect to the island, the player would earn $1. For instance, after the first player connected the black trading company to an island, another player connects the blue trading route to the island. That player would earn $1.

If a player connects the island with a trading company that is already there, that player would earn $0. For instance, if after the first player connected the black trading company to the island, if another player connects the island with the black trading company again, that second player would earn $0

This bonus is then altered based on the option card the player has chosen. Some will score as described above, some will give a X2 bonus, (new islands would score $4, already connected islands would score $2), some will negate any bonuses.

This income (bonus) is collected right away. Also, if a player connects multiple islands, that player would earn the bonus as it applies to each island.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
X X

Some
msg tools
Lewis Igo, Thank you for the reply.

I think I get it now. I thought the $2 and $1 payouts were one time events for the first and second routes of the game only.

So, for every new island connected, that player receives $2 plus any bonuses that would apply. And the next person to connect a different color route would receive $1 plus any bonuses that would apply.

The 2X card would earn the player either $4 or $2 while the 3X card would net the player $0 dollars for connecting any island, and the 5X would gain the player the $2 or $1 only. IS this correct?

Let me ask. Are the payouts cumulative? That is, I connect one island and gain $2, and the next turn I connect another island and gain $2. Do I then receive $4 for connecting two islands or only the $2 for connecting a new island?

Thank you for the help. I have had this game setup waiting to play but had no idea how to earn money.

Faithful
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Pressler
United States
West Lafayette
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
OMG! Overtext! How long have I been sleeping?! OVERTEXT! Also, I'm a DESIGNER now?! Sweet! OVERTEXXXXXXT!
badge
HO HO HO! Give me some money!
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
So, for every new island connected, that player receives $2 plus any bonuses that would apply. And the next person to connect a different color route would receive $1 plus any bonuses that would apply.

The 2X card would earn the player either $4 or $2 while the 3X card would net the player $0 dollars for connecting any island, and the 5X would gain the player the $2 or $1 only. IS this correct?

Correct on all counts.

Quote:
Let me ask. Are the payouts cumulative? That is, I connect one island and gain $2, and the next turn I connect another island and gain $2. Do I then receive $4 for connecting two islands or only the $2 for connecting a new island?

You only receive money for whichever islands you connect to on that turn. (So, in your example, just $2 in both turns.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
X X

Some
msg tools
This is a wonderful community of very helpful people. Thank you.

One last question; how in the world did you figure out that this was the way money payout was intended to work?

You guys are brilliant!

Thanks again

Faithful
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kenny VenOsdel
United States
Saint Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Faithful wrote:
This is a wonderful community of very helpful people. Thank you.

One last question; how in the world did you figure out that this was the way money payout was intended to work?

You guys are brilliant! :)

Thanks again

Faithful

It's confusing because it is explained later in the rules under the "bonuses" section. not a good choice of name for that kind of thing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.