Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: recommendations [+] [View All]
LC
United States
Florissant
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I'm looking to buy a pick up and deliver game for my parents. They enjoyed empire builder in the past but don't play it because of the time required. Railraod Tycoon is also too heavy. It needs to play well for two players and doesn't need to be a train game. It would also be desirable to have a low screwage factor and easy to learn and play. Suggestions are appreciated.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Pennisi
United States
Carpentersville
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Try this: Logistico

The rules are easy and it plays fast with two but there is a lot of thinking and planning that goes into making deliveries efficiently.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Walt
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
Before terraforming Mars, Surviving Mars is required: Paradox Interactive; Steam.
badge
Please contact me about board gaming in Orange County.
mbmbmbmbmb
1. Use the fast rules for Empire Builder: these are also used in tournaments. To summarize, you get five cards to start, but you must discard two after initial builds (evening the start); trains run at 12 and 16 instead of 9 and 12; the tax card is ignored. Since these are the tournament rules, it's hard to make a case against these.
2. Use the loan rule: this means you don't have to count out track exactly; if you miss by a couple or even five, it's not disasterous.
3. Play a faster variant of EB: these need some learning of cities, but they do play faster--EB itself is a little slow. Nippon Rails (Japan) is probably fastest, but strategically simple. Russian Rails is good.

Just 1&2 cut the game down to about 1/2 hour per experienced player, so a two player game drops to an hour or so.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Fisk
United Kingdom
Stoke on Trent
Staffordshire
flag msg tools
Come on you Seagulls! Sami Hyppia's Blue & White army!
badge
That's weird. This bit used to mention Shire Games, and tell you all how wonderful we are. But it seems to have got deleted. Let's see what happens this time ....
mbmbmbmbmb
Have a look at Mesopotamia

N.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JP LaChance
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Bus is the first one that comes to mind.
Not sure why it is rated on the box as 14 yrs old and up, but my 7yr old didn't seem to have a problem playing it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Eisen
United States
Menlo Park
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Bus is pretty complicated.

You might consider Himalaya, was a candidate for Spiel des Jahres a couple of years ago. Clever preprogrammed movement game, basically pick up and deliver. Multiple majority kind of scoring is interesting and not that hard to understand after the first time through.

Plays best with 4.

Logistico is also an interesting game, but perhaps a little dry for a not so serious gamer.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Serrette
United States
Lafayette
Louisiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Tries Serenissima (first edition)? Might want to look at that as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Eggert
United States
Piscataway
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mb
It's hard to match the pick-up-and-deliver feel of the EB series. If you don't need a direct match to EB, I would suggest Hansa and/or Goldland. Both games combine pick-up-and-deliver with other game mechanics. Also, I would avoid Bus for the reasons below.

HANSA (2-4 players, 60 min)
== good economic game of set collection and action-points
== more player interaction than EB

GOLDLAND (2-5 players, 60 min)
== fun elements of exploration, majority control and "racing"
== tactical tile plays; movement based on emptiness of backpack

BUS (3-5 players, 120 min)
== complex, brain-burner, feels very abstract

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T. Rosen
United States
Arlington
Virginia
flag msg tools
admin
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Moviebuffs wrote:
Have a look at Mesopotamia

N.

I second the recommendation of Mesopotamia as a good, but not too complicated, pickup and deliver game, that also has pretty components as a bonus. Haven't played it with just 2 players, but I imagine it would scale down decently.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Cooper
United States
Lewisville
Texas
flag msg tools
Ask me how I got this badge early!
badge
Dexterity Games Guy for BGG.Con / GeekCoin # 318030
mbmbmbmbmb
Can't get much simpler than this.

Game of the States

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve K
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
Silk Road is another possibility. It's really 3-6 players but there's a 2-player variant here.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.