Caylus» Forums » Rules

Subject: i dont get it rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Richard Murray
Australia
flag msg tools
zombie Whaat???
how do u actually get buildings in the first place, the rules are really hard to understand, and what do u take turns in each fase???
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Curt Carpenter
United States
Kirkland
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Weird. I have the three existing Ystari games and have been amazed at how well the rules are written. They are among the very few games where I didn't have to hit the Geek for a faq or to ask a question. Guess it just goes to show that it's hard to make rules that are clear to everyone.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Murray
Australia
flag msg tools
oh k. thanks for that, ive never really played a game this complex b4, though i have games like carcassonne, settlers of catan, trans america etc. So are the new buildings are placed when the carpenter, mason etc? are activated, and can u place as many as u can afford? sorry if im seeming like a dope, but its pretty new to mesoblue. thx again all.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike K
United States
Fairless Hills
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Gamegoth wrote:
oh k. thanks for that, ive never really played a game this complex b4, though i have games like carcassonne, settlers of catan, trans america etc. So are the new buildings are placed when the carpenter, mason etc? are activated, and can u place as many as u can afford? sorry if im seeming like a dope, but its pretty new to mesoblue. thx again all.

The first go-round with the rules is always the hardest.

OK, to sum up:

Pink buildings: randomly allocated to the first six spaces on the board. Owned by no one. Four are production buildings, a fifth is a marketplace, and the last is one of the two 'carpenter' buildings; the other is fixed on the board. All subsequent buildings are built after that second carpenter and peddler.

Brown buildings: built by players who choose to use one of the carpenters. You may only build one such building at a time; multiple builds require multiple trips to carpenters. One of the brown buildings is the mason, which is needed to build the greys. Another is the lawyer, which is needed to build the greens.

Grey buildings: built by players who choose to use the aforementioned mason. Otherwise, the same rules apply. One of the grey buildings is the architect, which is needed to build the blues.

Green buildings: residences which give their owners extra cash at the start of each round. Residences are either built over a pink building (which is gone from the game) or a player's own building (which may later be rebuilt).

Blue buildings: Prestige buildings which offer VPs, favors, and (in a couple cases) cash per turn like the residences. Prestige buildings are built over residences; you cannot build a Prestige building unless you already have a residence in play!

That should sum it up for now; feel free to post any additional queries.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Brown
Australia
Melbourne
VIC
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you're based in Melbourne and would like to go through a game to learn I'm sure we can organise something.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Murray
Australia
flag msg tools
thanks ever1 i just had my first game and its really quite simple after the first go.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.