Popular Tags: civ [+] [View All]
Zack Boatman
United States
Tesuque
New Mexico
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I just printed and laminated the map for the 18 player game and was wondering if anyone had any suggestions for making the cards and the pieces for the new 9 players?
My idea was to use my extra game and print sticky labels for the commodity cards, so that all of the cards will have the same backing, and then laminate the cards (as I have laminated the cards of the original set I play with anyway); then print out the colored tokens for each of the nine new civilizations and paste them on the counters from the extra game and then have the complete 18 player set.
But this sounds labor intensive, so I just wanted to see if anyone had a better idea.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Johnson
United States
Azusa
California
flag msg tools
One of Alabama 3's finest songs, especially the versions on the single this image is from...
badge
Sweet Pretty M*th*rf*ck*ng Country Acid House Music - All night long!
I did this a little over a year ago.

Any way you do it, it's going to take a lot of time.

I *wouldn't* do anything to an actual copy of the game, there's no reason to.

For the cards (trade & civ), just print onto cardstock, and use a paper cutter. They don't get used that much, but if you're worried, you can sleeve them. Laminating is overkill. I had to build up sheets of the commodity card images myself before printing them, but they may have changed that since the last time I checked. (If anyone needs them, I can probably email the commodity sheets to you.)

For counters, things are harder. I ended up using craft foam, because it comes in a bunch of colors, but it is a touch hard to cut.

Whatever you do, they make round craft punches that you can use for the cities.

You can get blank (pre-cut) counter sheets in the proper sizes; you can use full sheet labels and then re-cut the counters, or color them by hand. Or you can do some kind of built-up multi-layer hand made counters.

You could just use colored posterboard (if you can turn up enough colors). If you do this, or the craft foam, you can put a mark on one side of the counter (to differentiate between pop. and treasury). Or you can buy appropriate stamps, if you feel fancy.

My advice, unless you want to turn this into a full-time hobby for a while, is to take the easiest ways out; the parts aren't going to see *that* much use, so you can cut corners without too much of an impact.

Another thing to keep in mind is that they are still tweaking this stuff (as far as I know), so anything you do could be obsoleted at any time. (I know my 12 full sets of civ cards are obsolete, as is my map.) So, you may not want to put too much time and money into this.

One day, when they are really done, I may well revist this project, and do another set of civ cards, and a real set of counters, and do some kind of hard-mounted map.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.