United States
Colorado Springs
CO
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I wanted to reach out to fans of Hands in the Sea with a special offer. We are currently running a Kickstarter campaign for a card driven strategy game similar to Twilight Struggle, called Forged in Steel. One of the interesting aspects to the game is that it allows 2 to 4 players to competitively construct a city and region together, in a fierce competition, quite unlike any other city building game out there. The game has been in development since 2008 and the overall design has been polished and balanced. In short, if you enjoy the card driven nature of something like Twilight Struggle I feel you will truly enjoy this game.

What I am offering is to drop the International shipping costs for anyone who will be backing Hands in the Sea on Kickstarter in February. Not only will I be offering free shipping for our International backers, that participate in this offer, but I will also include Daniel Berger's Play Book for Hands in the Sea for free! The book will be 8.5" x 11" and will feature beautiful illustrations from the game as well as a look behind the history of the First Punic War and the making of the game. The Play Book was going to be an Add-On for the Hands in the Sea campaign that will cost $6.

For our US backers I will discount Hands in the Sea an additional $10, which will be above and beyond the bundled price that will be offered to regular backers. I will also include the Play Book mentioned above.

You may be asking, "Why are you doing this?" There are several reasons but it is fairly straight forward. Both Forged in Steel and Hands in the Sea will be manufactured together. Both games will arrive and be shipped together. Both games will share the expensive cost of International cargo shipping and customs fees. If Forged in Steel does not fund then it will raise the cost of Hands in the Sea because of the increased cost to ship one game versus two.

The other reason is that I personally know the designer of Forged in Steel and he is a good friend of mine. We have been in a board game group for many years. This however has no bearing on how I feel about the game. Forged in Steel is a solid game with interesting tactical choices and a great card driven feel for 2 to 4 players. I know this is a biased statement, but it is coming from a designer and publisher who feels that rating my own games would be wrong. In short, I personally feel it is a game that is worthy of taking a spot in any gamers collection who enjoys deep rich games with elements of conflict and having interesting thematic settings.

If you would like to participate all you have to do is back Forged in Steel on Kickstarter at a level which includes a copy of the game. When the Hands in the Sea campaign launches in February I will offer a special reward for backers of Forged in Steel to pledge against. At the end of the campaign I will check and see if the backer names match up and fulfill the pledge for those backers.

In advance, I sincerely thank you for your time and consideration. The link to the Forged in Steel campaign is here: http://kck.st/1vW7v7L

[UPDATE]
The wait is over, you can back Hands in the Sea on Kickstarter now as part of the Forged in Steel campaign. We are offering a new pledge level, Hands in the Sea “Pre-Campaign” Bundle, where you can get both Forged in Steel and Hands in the Sea at a great discount, mentioned above. We want to get both of these great games out so we are combining them into one great offer. We have decided to limit this offer to the first 75 people, so act now!

We also wanted people to know that we have the talented Naomi Robinson working on the cover for Hands in the Sea. The cover will be a beautiful representation of a naval battle with Roman and Carthage triremes. You can see another box cover that Naomi created for our friends at Terra Nova Games below, called Ophir.

http://naomirobinson.blogspot.com/2014/10/ophir-board-game.h...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Burns
United States
Centennial
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Forged in Steel - backed!

Looking forward to backing Hands in the Sea as well!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Larry Rice
United States
Irvine
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Looking forward to both!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lindsay Scholle
Australia
St Ives, 2075
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I took a brief look at Forged in Steel when it launched and didn't get past the box cover before I moved on. Now with the Hands in the Sea deal I took another look and remembered it as that game with Wonder Woman on the cover. Being very keen on Hands in the Sea I took a longer look and was surprised to discover Forged in Steel wasn't a fantasy game about Amazon women or a sorceress at all. Now I'm just confused. Why is a badly drawn picture of Wonder Woman standing in front of a factory splashed on the cover? The more I look into the game the more I like the sound of it, but I just don't get the artwork. Is she some US steel industry icon I don't know about perhaps?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gordon J
United States
Eagan
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Print and Play Gamer
mbmbmbmbmb
Scholle wrote:
I took a brief look at Forged in Steel when it launched and didn't get past the box cover before I moved on. Now with the Hands in the Sea deal I took another look and remembered it as that game with Wonder Woman on the cover. Being very keen on Hands in the Sea I took a longer look and was surprised to discover Forged in Steel wasn't a fantasy game about Amazon women or a sorceress at all. Now I'm just confused. Why is a badly drawn picture of Wonder Woman standing in front of a factory splashed on the cover? The more I look into the game the more I like the sound of it, but I just don't get the artwork. Is she some US steel industry icon I don't know about perhaps?

A agree. The woman looks like someone from ancient Greek times. And then I watched Undead Viking's video about the game and found out it's about 1890-ish time frame in Colorado, and went huh? I just hope that isn't final art for the box cover, because honestly it looks awful. You can't judge a book by its cover but I think that will keep some people away.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
UA Darth
United States
Boca Raton
FL
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
How much luck/chaos is in Forged in Steel? How about king making?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin
United States
San Diego area
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm glad someone asked about the cover. I spent several minutes trying to make sense of it myself.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Kidder
United States
Martensdale
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Backed!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Don Lloyd
United States
Colorado Springs
CO
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
shadow9d9 wrote:
How much luck/chaos is in Forged in Steel? How about king making?

In my opinion, there is very little luck in Forged in Steel. The game at its heart is however card driven. Someone could argue that there is luck in the fact that players are drawing cards. That argument would not be valid as the cards have been balanced in such a way that the overall events on the card correspond to the points that players can use. For example, a card may only have 3 points but a powerful ability. Another card may have 5 points but an average ability tied into the event. Of course, things are all relative, meaning an average ability that has something to do with your current strategy could be quite strong.

The game does have a single four sided die, but it is primarily used for some simple randomization on a few cards, one of the Official roles and for determining riot strength. Because players are dealing with a 1 through 4 possibility it does not sway the game drastically one way or the other.

In the end, the game breaks down into certain areas of industry and business. A player may be working towards say a strong factory or mining strategy. The paths to victory and the overall tactics and decisions a player can take are what makes the game shine.

Concerning king making, the cards in the game can be used for points or the event. This means players have numerous decisions in when and what they use their cards for. This helps players to avoid a king maker type of situation form happening. A player could choose to simply construct additional buildings using points and give neither VP leader an advantage.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Don Lloyd
United States
Colorado Springs
CO
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
patton55 wrote:
Scholle wrote:
I agree. The woman looks like someone from ancient Greek times. And then I watched Undead Viking's video about the game and found out it's about 1890-ish time frame in Colorado, and went huh? I just hope that isn't final art for the box cover, because honestly it looks awful. You can't judge a book by its cover but I think that will keep some people away.
[Just a quick back story to the cover artwork.]

Wade, the designer, and I had a conversation about creating the box cover about a year ago.

Naturally, Wade has been interested in the time period that Forged in Steel takes place, i.e., 1890-1910. During that time in the US there was a certain art movement/style going on called "Art Nouveau", which everyone can read more about here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Art_Nouveau

We asked the cover artist to capture a split character that was part beautiful Art Nouveau lady in a dress and the other half was a grimy migrant steel worker. That is also why the background is split as well. Long story short, it did not work, and we gave up trying to capture that look. I commissioned another artist to finish the woman in the dress and improve the overall quality of the illustration. I feel the woman in the dress is beautiful now and you can see the new illustration below. However, no one is familiar with that style. So we were stuck with an Art Nouveau lady in a dress on a box cover for an industrial game.

I am now wondering if there is a way to carve the woman out of the cover and just keep the background. Thoughts anyone?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dundy O
United States
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
"Jesus said to him, “I am the way, and the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me."
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
She looks very nice, but I agree with a few other people above. There is a disconnect with the theme. It didn't give me pause to pledge, but I guess there are those who will click away before they learn what the game really is about.

That's troubling.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lindsay Scholle
Australia
St Ives, 2075
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Cover her over with a grimy steel worker, or almost anything really - molten rolls of steel, a montage of steel bridges, some nine inch nails. She really just doesn't fit.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luc VC
Belgium
Brugge
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
patton55 wrote:
You can't judge a book by its cover but I think that will keep some people away.

I agree here, with all the new shiny games coming out having good artwork is no longer optional. I really believe that optimizing the looks (cover and board) of the game will help with the success of the game both in the short run as in the long run. Also the cover should give players an indication of what the game is about.

In addition I'm not sure about the blue and purple pieces. At first it seems that in poor lighting they will be hard to distinguish.

While I'm being critical: The hospital, to me, looks like a gift-wrapped present.

So, in recap, if you involve a professional artist you will have at-least have one extra backer . Best of luck with both games, I'm sure it's much more work than I can imagine.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carlos Ferreira
Portugal
Porto Salvo
Porto Salvo
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I was about to back this project, but...

The project is EU friendly and you charge $25 to ship it anywhere in Europe?

I'm sorry, but I cannot understand this. You have free shipping to the US, I could get it, but being EU friendly and charge an extra 50% just for shipping is too much for me.

I hope you get it funded and I will probably buy this game and Hands in the Sea as well, but only after the games arrives to a store where I would get it for a cheaper price.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruno Valerio
Portugal
Aveiro
flag msg tools
www.rededejogos.com
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
brainst0rm wrote:

I'm sorry, but I cannot understand this. You have free shipping to the US, I could get it, but being EU friendly and charge an extra 50% just for shipping is too much for me.

I hope you get it funded and I will probably buy this game and Hands in the Sea as well, but only after the games arrives to a store where I would get it for a cheaper price.

This...

I still don´t get it how a game shipped from within Europe could cost $25 to ship...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sergio Macias
Spain
Esplugues de Llobregat
Barcelona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Oblivion wrote:
brainst0rm wrote:

This...

I still don´t get it how a game shipped from within Europe could cost $25 to ship...

Well, they have to bring the games to Europe first, right?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruno Valerio
Portugal
Aveiro
flag msg tools
www.rededejogos.com
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sergio, that's not the point...

Several other KS do the same and manage to have much lower shipping costs...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sergio Macias
Spain
Esplugues de Llobregat
Barcelona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Oblivion wrote:
Sergio, that's not the point...

Several other KS do the same and manage to have much lower shipping costs...

And plenty others manage to have way higher shipping costs.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Berger
United States
Littleton
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I know little of shipping issues with Europe, but don't some european folks use a package consolidation service?

I remember a couple of guys, who I thought were from Florida, ordered some games from the marketplace. They had very similar addresses. Thinking they were neighbors and that it was some funny coincidence, I mentioned to one that he might have a gaming buddy upstairs from him. It turned out they were both from Europe (Germany I think) and were using some sort of shipping service, and the Florida address was just a collection point.

Is that something we could work with/through? Or does this have nothing to do with anything?

EDIT: The service was http://www.myus.com/
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Minken
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
Connect More to your family, friends, and community over a board game.
mbmbmbmbmb
Great promotion! Thanks for the offer! I am now a backer of FiS (and am eagerly awaiting the HitS campaign).

For what it is worth, it was Father Geek's great review of FiS that sold me on the game!

Cheers,
David
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Siskin
United States
Playa Del Rey
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Already a backer! Forged in Steel looks like a solid game to me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tonny Wille
Belgium
9310 Meldert
Oost-Vlaanderen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Oblivion wrote:
brainst0rm wrote:

This...

At least we don't have to pay customs or we would be paying double the price compared to the United States.

It does look like a fun game but I already own to much games and I'm on a limited budget. No idea how much the kickstarter price of hands in the sea will be but I can't afford to buy two games of 50 dollars unless I start canceling some of my other preorders soblue

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Burns
United States
Centennial
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
shadowkn wrote:
patton55 wrote:
Scholle wrote:
I agree. The woman looks like someone from ancient Greek times. And then I watched Undead Viking's video about the game and found out it's about 1890-ish time frame in Colorado, and went huh? I just hope that isn't final art for the box cover, because honestly it looks awful. You can't judge a book by its cover but I think that will keep some people away.
[Just a quick back story to the cover artwork.]

Wade, the designer, and I had a conversation about creating the box cover about a year ago.

Naturally, Wade has been interested in the time period that Forged in Steel takes place, i.e., 1890-1910. During that time in the US there was a certain art movement/style going on called "Art Nouveau", which everyone can read more about here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Art_Nouveau

We asked the cover artist to capture a split character that was part beautiful Art Nouveau lady in a dress and the other half was a grimy migrant steel worker. That is also why the background is split as well. Long story short, it did not work, and we gave up trying to capture that look. I commissioned another artist to finish the woman in the dress and improve the overall quality of the illustration. I feel the woman in the dress is beautiful now and you can see the new illustration below. However, no one is familiar with that style. So we were stuck with an Art Nouveau lady in a dress on a box cover for an industrial game.

I am now wondering if there is a way to carve the woman out of the cover and just keep the background. Thoughts anyone?

While I'm not an expert on the subject, I feel pretty sure that Art Nouveau wasn't exactly huge in Pueblo in the 1890's. Perhaps a visit to the very excellent Colorado History Museum in Denver might spur some artistic inspiration.

I don't know of many games that are set in our beautiful state. I would hope that you would considering increasing the thematic artwork to reflect the time and place.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Volk
United States
Richfield
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
http://www.mortificationofspin.org/
mbmbmbmbmb
The picture and the "save $7 off retail cost" prevented me from backing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Parsons
United States
Carrollton
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You shouldn't let the artwork sway you from this game. I've played it several times and it's a fantastic game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.