Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Matthew Taylor
United States
Arcadia
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Which is better and why? Theme seems very similar, so is it worth owning both? Does one play a lot faster than the other? (would prefer a game closer to 60 than 90 minutes) How about the optimal number of players for each? (our group usually has four).

Any suggestions would be much appreciated! Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Pardoe
United States
flag msg tools
badge
Goldland tends to play faster than Lost Valley. With practice, think it is the one more likely to play in 60 minutes.

Major difference - in Goldland the resources are more easily acquired and exploited. In Lost Valley, you often need to set up a resource, but then others can plunder it before your turn. Think that Lost Valley is "heavier" of the two, but both are medium weight games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Miller
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Goldland feels far more like a Euro-game, sort of an area control game, with a race game added on, and with an exploration theme put into it. IN other words, it feels much more abstract. Lost Valley seems grittier, like you are relly struggling against the wilderness.

LV is probably best with four, although it will play with three. goldland is a bit more flexible. I prefer Lost Valley, though some will say the whole, 'steal the gold from the mine the other guy opened' isn't to their taste, though the same thing could be said about stealing the opponents camp majorities in Goldland.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorge Arroyo
Spain
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I enjoy Goldland the most. It is more abstract, but the exploration theme is really well done. It does play faster. But I like LV too. I think the games are quite different even if the themes are a bit similar, so owning both is ok. In Goldland you're racing to the temple. How you set up the paths you explore can affect the other players, sometimes blocking their routes, and it's a very important aspect of the game. In LV there is no physical goal, it's just making the most gold. There're different ways to accomplish it, and a lot of tools you can build/buy to do it too. It gives the game lots of variation, but make the game longer too...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jérôme
Netherlands
Eindhoven
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Lost Valley is gathering dust on the shelves, only because it takes at least 3 players, and on the not so often occasions the table gets filled, 'they' always choose the games they already know. It's a pity.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil Carr
United States
Barre
Vermont
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I lean towards LV because it's refreshingly more detailed and "simulationy" than most euros. GL, while a good game, kind of gets lost in the wilderness of abstract feeling euros. When I play LV I feel like the theme is able to keep up with the strategies in my head, but when I played GL they seemed to drop away into abstract eurogame thinking.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Whitmore
United States
Albuquerque
New Mexico
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I suggest you find a way to play both. I feel both of them are a "try before you buy" sort of game. (Not that I did that.)

I ultimately sold Goldland after getting Lost Valley. I liked the simulation in Lost Valley better. I'd happily play Goldland again, if it ever came up. For me, they scratched the same itch, and I found myself thinking I'd select Lost Valley over Goldland each time. So I trimmed Goldland from my collection.

Lost Valley does have its flaws though. I view it as a strict 4-player game. I think 3 is awkward because the river divides the play area, and whoever gets left alone has an advantage.

Lost Valley feels more like an old Avalon Hill game done as a Euro. Goldland always feels like a Euro. (Its more abstract.)

Good luck!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J. Green
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
After playing Goldland, I found the shape of the modular tiles in Lost Valley created more interesting movement possibiliies. In GL you can find yourself a long way away from the action in a hurry depending on tile draws and have to backtrack a long way to get anywhere, but with LV it seems easier to maneuver to where you want to be, especially once you get a canoe or a horse.

I also like the artwork in LV a lot more, because it's all done with watercolors and sketches and it reminds me of those old travel sketches done by explorers before photography. Plus you get a picture to be your 'avatar' in LV, whereas in GL it's just a backpack with no characters for the players. I know these are cosmetic, but it's the little things about LV that I really think are fun. I mean, what other game besides Bootleggers gives you whiskey as a resource! I don't even drink, but thematically it's kind of cool. In LV you're a prospector in the Klondike, where in GL it's more like South America, so the theme is definitely different.

I recommend Lost Valley if you have 3-4 players regularly.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.