Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: thanksgiving [+] [View All]
Dan M
United States
Pleasant Hill
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A long distance buddy of mine will be visiting this coming Thnaksgiving. We're both looking at trying to pick up a new game that we can sit down and play for a day long event. I'm looking for some recommendations for something that might fit that bill.

Here are some of the conditions...We'll only have two players so that will of course be a requirement. We'd prefer a game that isn't 3-x players w/ a two-player version. We're looking for a game with resource management and has a decent combat system.

Games along the lines of what Eagle Games and the old MB Gamemaster Series are/were about. Ones that we've rulled out are Axis & Allies; Shogun; Civilization. We've played those all already and looking for something new, but along those lines.

The obvous front runner is Conquest of the Empire so I'm hoping to hear what people think of that game. The other one that has intrigued me for sometime is War! Age of Imperialism, but I've heard some not so good things about that one. War of the Ring is also of interest, but I don't know how much resource management comes into the picture. We've also played Attack by Eagle and didn't like it that much but have not played it with the Expansion...Does the Expansion add enough to the game to make it worth it?

I'd appreciate some feedback on those...or any other games that come to mind. We're not limiting ourselves to just games with lots of plastic bits...but I'll admit that I'm a sucker for those. Overall we're just looking for a good, fun, long gaming experience.

Thank you for the help.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Lexington
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Twilight Imperium?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jeremy cobert
United States
cedar rapids
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
war of the ring or Europe Engulfed would be my picks, depending on time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan M
United States
Pleasant Hill
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I was thinking about Twilight Imperium...I see the 2nd Ed is 2+ players, but the 3rd is 3+...Is there that big a difference between the two games? Is one better than the other?

Europe Engulfed - I was racking my brain trying to remember the name of that game. How is the economics in that game?

Also after posting this...I've been out of the gaming loop for some time...I was poking around and saw that Eagle Games was sold. That is quite a shame. I just hope the new owners are able to continue what was started.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phillip Heaton
United States
Springfield
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
War of the Rings is a great game, especially if you loved the books or the movies. It is an asymetric game that is very tight; either side can win. One side plays Sauron and his minions. Their goal is to conquer Middle Earth before the ring becomes an issue. They also need to search for the ring bearer, forcing him to slow down and/or take corruption points that will cause him to betray the ring. The fellowship player has to stem the onrushing hordes of evil to give the fellowship time to get the ring to the cracks of doom. They also have a military victory to keep Sauron from getting sloppy. Newbies take six to eight hours to play a game, but it is tense throughout. There isn't any resource management to speak of, you get to recruit whenever the dice allow you to do so.

I recently got Axis and Allies: Europe and I can't recommend that one. It seems to have everything that you'd want, but it seems that the Axis can't win unless they get really lucky. My oppinion is based on game analysis, not play, so take it with a grain of salt. If there are others out there who feel I'm wrong, please jump in.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.