Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: kids [+] children [+] recommendations [+] [View All]
Mal Ross
United Kingdom
Bedlington
Northumberland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My niece is 7 years old, has a seriously short attention span and gets well huffy if she's not in with a chance of winning when playing games. I really want to help her develop her attention span and engage her brain a little more while having fun. Does anyone know of any games that her parents, grandparents and myself might be able to play with her?

I'm guessing they'll need to involve a sizable element of luck to avoid the adults winning all the time. Also, they need to be short enough to stop her getting bored. I'd welcome any advice at all, as I really can't face buying another Barbie doll this Christmas...!

Cheers,

Mal.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric
Canada
Gatineau
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm thinking that Carcassonne can be a good idea, my 7 YO likes it. Maybe also A Dog's Life, however, the game says 12 and up, but my 5 YO likes to play as well, but kids with attention deficits may find too much down time.

I can't think of anything else at this time, but there are others that would fit the requirements.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gwen
Belgium
oost-vlaanderen
flag msg tools
badge
mb
My kids (8 and 9) like Hey, That's My Fish!very much. Not really a kids game, but very simple rules and very short playing time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Denise Lavely
United States
Carmel
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You want Gulo Gulo. Kids have a good chance of winning because small fingers help.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Larry Welborn
United States
Anderson
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
Clemson Tigers #1
mbmbmbmbmb
Take a look at Gulo Gulo. It has been a big hit with my 5 and 3 year old children and it is a game that they can win even when the adults are trying.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sue Hemberger

Washington
Dist of Columbia
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ubongo. It's in quick spurts, easily handicapped, and the kind of game that some kids will naturally be better at than many adults. Of course if she doesn't like timers or has no aptitude for spatial relationships, this wouldn't be a good choice.

Circus Flohcati is another possibility. My daughter loved it at that age and it'd be reasonably fun for the adults as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Fisk
United Kingdom
Stoke on Trent
Staffordshire
flag msg tools
Come on you Seagulls! Sami Hyppia's Blue & White army!
badge
That's weird. This bit used to mention Shire Games, and tell you all how wonderful we are. But it seems to have got deleted. Let's see what happens this time ....
mbmbmbmbmb
I would definitely second the suggestions of Hey, That's My Fish! and Gulo Gulo.

Also, have a look at Walk the Dogs.

N.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B. Huddleston
United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Through the Desert, Ticket to Ride, Bohnanza, Gulo Gulo, Blokus, Pick Picknic, Detroit-Cleveland Grand Prix, and Alhambra have worked well with my 7 yo daughter. All of these games are relatively short, they don't required scoring until the end, and are fairly non-confrontational. My kids always enjoy Crokinole. Hey! That's My Fish! has kind of failed with my 7 and 5 yo kids lately, the theme is cute but the play is very confrontational.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Waits
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Not sure if this applies.. but..

Try a detox too. From sugar and junk food I mean. (No artificial sweeteners either, they do more damage!)

After a few days you may see a serious behavioral change.

--Steve

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Harlan Rosenthal
United States
Fair Lawn
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Cartagena.

Frank's Zoo.

I've posted comments on both regarding playing with our son when he was younger, and whatever friends of his were around as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Windsor
United States
Fort Worth
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll cast another vote for Gulo Gulo. Kids really can beat grown ups. Ticket to Ride might be an easy game that they can grow into.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan
United States
Iowa
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd throw in Fish Eat Fish. Our 3 year-old requests this nightly. Plays fast. Since there is bluffing involved anyone can win. Our 6 year-old has no probem winning on occasion. Besides, colorful plastic fish and a starfish statue -- how can you go wrong?!?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sue Hemberger

Washington
Dist of Columbia
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I understand Gulo Gulo as a game recommendation for a mixed-age group when the youngest is 3-5, but when the youngest is 7? I like dexterity games, but at that age you can play better ones.

I'd prefer Piranha, Maus nach Haus, Loopin Louie, or Willy Waschbar at that age (and I'm limiting options to something in the Barbie doll price range -- otherwise Crokinole, Hamsterrolle, and Palazzo Paletti would be great options.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
paul canosa
Japan
shizuoka
Shizuoka
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have been playing O Zoo Le Mio

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T. Rosen
United States
Arlington
Virginia
flag msg tools
admin
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I second the recommendations of Gulo Gulo and Carcassonne, but I think it would also be helpful for you to take a look at a great new resource created by fellower BGGer Mark Christiansen (cull), it's a website devoted to kids games: http://www.kidgameratings.com/

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Fraser
United States
Melissa
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Try Sleeping Queens, and Rat a tat cat,
Sleeping queens is fairly random but some light stratagy. My 7 year old wins as often as I do.
Rat a tat cat might be a great game for your situation. Essentually you play 2 of 4 ( easy version ) or all 4 cards face down, and try to get the lowest total in your hand. Somewhat more random, but easy to adjust by having more cards face down in your hand.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shellie Rose
United States
Vernon
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Your niece sounds a lot like my 7 year old daughter. My daughter is bright and likes games, but is also a twitchy kid who can't sit still for long (15 minutes is a long time). She really hates losing, and gets rather upset when she thinks that she is.

I asked my daughter what her favorite games were. Here is a list of games that work for her and for us and why:

Fairy Tale (the basic game): My daughter says that this is her number one favorite game. Short playing time. Pretty pictures of baby dragons and fairies. It is a drafting game, so we can pass her the cards that we know she likes. Bonus - she learned how to multiply in her head.

All Wound Up - This is her second favorite. It has funny wind up Zombies and lots of action to watch, even when it is not your turn. You don't sit still when you are playing, because you have to get up to position your Zombie. We handicap it by making sure our daughter gets the Zombie that walks straight.

California - This is her third favorite. It flies in the face of all reason that this would be in her top three. It has a longish playing time and she rarely wins. She likes it because it is like playing doll house and "you get gifts" (one form of victory points). She also likes the cute pets you can buy.

Capt'n Clever - It has cute boats and pretty treasures. The playing time can be shortened by changing the number of treasures you need to get to win. You can also handicap the game by requiring the adults to get more treasures than the the children need in order to win.

Pick Picknic - Simultaneous play, so you don't have to wait your turn. Putting out the feed cubes after each round is fun. Cute pictures.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Harold Jansen
Canada
Lethbridge
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
Can I drive the bus?
mbmbmbmbmb
As mentioned, Gulo Gulo is a big hit with kids, but the best reaction I've ever gotten out of kids is Carabande/Pitch Car. It works well across generations and with non-gamers, too. Kids do well because they're lower to the table and can line up the shots well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Peterson
United States
Normal
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
As already stated a few times, but I'll say the same...Gulo Gulo is a winner. My 5 year old wins most of the time and I'm not letting him win....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
quiet, not much content
Canada
Unspecified
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd go with Transamerica over Ticket to Ride for a 7 year old.

My kids also like Ingenious - in fact my 5 year old beat the 7 year old, myself and my husband yesterday.

Tsuro is nice, you don't really get a chance to feel like "I'm losing" because it generally happens quite quickly that you're out of the game. Both my kids like it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
carl huber
England
London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have a couple of sons, and my youngest loves Labyrinth. He can win without me having to play a, er, less than optimal game, which is much more satisfying for us both. We all love Ticket to Ride: Märklin. It is a great game for stripping out additional complexity depending on who you are playing with, and my youngest quickly grasped the matching cards / laying tracks mechanic.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Greisz
United States
McKinney
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
With 5 & 7 year olds Gulo Gulo was a big hit, but Diamant is the all time fav.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Forhan
United States
Rochester
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
Ahoy has been popular with my kids ages 7 & 5. It's basically a twist on the standard flip-and-find memory card game, with some nice Euro bits to boot. You also might want to consider some simple spatial reasoning games, like Cathedral or Rumis.

If you want games for 4+ people, try For Sale. It plays in 20 min or less and kids get into buying the higher value properties.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Brown
United States
Colorado Springs
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
swaits wrote:
Not sure if this applies.. but..

Try a detox too. From sugar and junk food I mean. (No artificial sweeteners either, they do more damage!)

After a few days you may see a serious behavioral change.

--Steve

Perhaps you have more information that I'm unaware of but after many studies there's absolutely no evidence that sugar causes hyperactivity. The idea of a sugar hi is really a myth.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Brown
United States
Colorado Springs
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My 8 year old girl and 5 year old boy like x-bugs quite a bit.

It's a lot of fun. Carcassone H&G is fun also.

Jeff

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.