Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: recap [+] [View All]
Tim Thomas
United States
Oceanside
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For my 40th birthday, my wife had the great idea to play games for 40 hours over my birthday weekend. At first, my plan was to play for 40 straight hours. Some concerned family and friends appealed to what little sanity I have and convinced me to spread the time out over the entire weekend.

The party started at 6:00 on Friday when my brother-in-law Dave showed up and we played three quick games of Lost Cities, after he graciously fixed our furnace. It ended Sunday evening at 9:15 after two rousing games of Can't Stop, an appropriate title for the last game.

A special thanks to Jonathan, who stayed both Friday and Saturday nights until the wee hours to help me fit in the hours, my wife Sarah, for suggesting the party and for helping with the kids, and my brother John, who flew out from Wisconsin (I'm in California). Here's a list of games played during the weekend, in order:

Friday:

Lost Cities x3 (6 P.M.)
Boomtown
Medici
Thurn and Taxis
Taj Mahal
Geschenkt
Ra
Carcassone: The City
Tempus
Battle Line
Trendy (ended at 3 A.M.)

Saturday:

Razzia (7:15 A.M.)
Zig Zag (after 30 minutes to shower, etc.)
Sherlock
Zertz
Take It Easy x2
Havoc: The 100 Years War
Beowulf
Mogul
Samurai
Ticket To Ride Marklin
Mykerinos
Hey! You Ate My Fish
Sleuth
Carcassone: The Discovery
Diamant x2
For Sale x2
Winner's Circle
Diamant x2 again
Take It Easy x2 again
Modern Art
Through The Desert
Get The Goods x2
Caylus
Xe Queo! (end at 2:30 A.M.)

Sunday:

Take It Easy 2x (solitaire, starting at 7:45 A.M.)
Razzia
Hong Kong
Great Wall Of China
Railroad Tycoon
Caylus
Acquire
St. Petersburg
Ra
Can't Stop x2 (end at 9:15 P.M.)

A total of 41 hours and 15 minutes. I wish it could have gone longer. Maybe when I turn 50!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mike hibbert
United Kingdom
Gloucester
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow - that sounds like a brilliant weekend - nice one!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Myers
United States
Salem
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
That is cool!!!

In 3 years I will be 50. I am going to warn / hint / persuade / threaten everybody, that I want to do that for my 50th Birthday. My birthday is on Sept 1st so I will be flexable and we can plan on doing it on Labor Day weekend, that way we can get in an extra day for the gaming. I don't care if they take shifts playing games as long as I have enough players for a good game and I am always playing.

I like your enthusiasim about doing the 40 hours straight and got a chuckle out of family and friends convincing you to spread it out over the weekend.

I have thought about doing a 24 hours of gaming with our gaming group at some point it time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Takagi
United States
San Marcos
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
What, no GeekList?

I hope it becomes an annual event! I think Cid has already given me the green light to do something similar for my birthday in January (though probably not as long).

Thanks for the opportunity to play so many games and also for all the snacks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Campbell
United States
Excelsior
MN
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
That is a freaking awesome idea...

Of course, my wife's first thought was..."You know why his wife came up with the idea, don't you?...so she could make her own escape...the real question is: what did she do for the weekend?"

Happy 40th!!

Game on!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Thomas
United States
Oceanside
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Major Sholto wrote:
That is a freaking awesome idea...

Of course, my wife's first thought was..."You know why his wife came up with the idea, don't you?...so she could make her own escape...the real question is: what did she do for the weekend?"

Happy 40th!!

Game on!

Our kids were home Friday, so she had them upstairs for most of the evening. Then my parents watched them from Saturday afternoon until Sunday night, so she either caught up on her DVD's or mingled downstairs when there were a lot of people here. Fortunately, she enjoyed herself too for most of the weekend, improving my chances for future events!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Hor
Malaysia
Petaling Jaya
Selangor
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
... Wow.

Are you sure you didn't break some kind of Guiness record?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"that's a smith and wesson, and you've had your six"
mbmbmbmbmb
Say hello to my BGG.CON schedule...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julie DuBois
United States
Redmond
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
What a nice way to turn 40! Thanks for sharing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.