Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: preorder [+] mmp [+] [View All]
Aaron Cinzori
United States
Holland
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I'm new to preordering games. I preordered A Victory Lost from MMP about a week and a half ago. The game is no longer on their preorder page. Does this mean that it is about to ship? Has shipped? Is being printed?

In general, how do I find these things out? Is preordering a fire-and-forget sort of process? One happy day a game just shows up at your door without warning?

I've also preordered Die Macher from Valley Games. The occassional updates from Otrex have been helpful, but a steady flow of official news on their website would be even better.

I'm considering preordering some GMT games as well (FAB: The Bulge and Asia Engulfed). It looks like their P500 page is pretty clear about where a game is in the pipeline.

So, all of you MMP and GMT preordering professionals: what should I know and what should I expect in order to make preordering a good experience?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Pardoe
United States
flag msg tools
badge
AVL has been printed and is in MMP's (ware)house. I expect copies to start shipping Monday at the latest. As they process orders in the order received, it might be a week or so before they get to the later orders (such as yours). You should see the charge on your credit card just as they ship your copy.

MMP tends to be more active over at the ConSimWorld (aka CSW) forums:

http://talk.consimworld.com

Navigate through:
*Game Company Support Forum
Multi-Man Publishing (including The Gamers)

for the latest news about pre-orders, printing, and shipping status. For example, here is the update regarding A Victory Lost (AVL) and Strike them a Blow (STAB): http://tinyurl.com/ym5ke2

Some games even have specific discussion forums. Specifically, for A Victory Lost,

http://talk.consimworld.com

Navigate through:
Boardgaming
Individual Games or Series Discussion
Era: World War II (INDIVIDUAL GAME)
Eastern Front
A Victory Lost

At least the numbers on MMP's site update in real time - so you can see the necessary pre-orders for the game to enter into publication. But even that is no guarantee. Some games (eg A Devil's Cauldron) passed their numbers a while back, but are till being finalized before publication. The key indicator for MMP is having the game disappear of the pre-order page. That is the sign it is shipping.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Pardoe
United States
flag msg tools
badge
WonderCinz wrote:
In general, how do I find these things out? Is preordering a fire-and-forget sort of process? One happy day a game just shows up at your door without warning?

Answered specifically about AVL above, so let's answer the general questions here.

Pre-ordering can be a fire-and-forget process, but watch out for your credit cards if you are that callous about the orders.

GMT tends to charge when the game goes into productions - so perhaps 1~2 months before the game actually ships (though there are no hard and fast rules about this). MMP tends to charge just as the game ships.

Both MMP and GMT are active in their company forums over at CSW. GMT also updates their news page regularly indicating which games are charging and which games are shipping in the upcoming month(s). So it should not come as a surprise when you are charged or when you receive your game.

Usually, the same news get published over here at BGG. So one doesn't have to navigate through CSW if one doesn't wish to do so. Again, it is a matter of keeping your eyes open and watching for the news.

Quote:
what should I expect in order to make preordering a good experience?

Patience. Despite all of this, things can and do happen to disrupt plans. Sometimes you might jump on a bandwagon early, but the game never hits the desired numbers so gets pulled from the list. If you start to pre-order a few games, you might have a month where you get hit for multiple charges. So have patience, sit back and relax, but stay informed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Yeackle
United States
San Luis Obispo
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Die Macher should ship in a week or two tops (the shipment hit VG last week).

GMT seems to send out invoices late. I've noticed a charge on my credit card and then up to a month later I'll get an email invoice. Then either soon after that or up to a month later the game will arrive. The only way to know when a game is about to be printed is to read their news sections and to keep an eye on the P500 list (or read ConSimWorld).

Each company does things a bit differently. VG charged right away even though Die Macher was months away from being printed. They've said they'll change that for future pre-orders. GMT charges right before the game goes to print. Columbia Games charges either before the games go to print or a month or two prior. MMP charges right after the game is printed. Worthington Games emails you when you can pre-order the game, this is usually at the same time the game is being printed or I think right after it's printed. Compass Games only opens up a pre-order when they have a confirmed printing and release date, but that can be months away. Not sure if they charge when they take the pre-order or not though.

Hope this helps. And mind you, I could be wrong on one or two details (and things to change from time to time).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Starkweather
United States
New York City
New York
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey Aaron,

First off, as the guy that runs the IGS line at MMP, I wanted to say thank you for the prepub. I will do everything I can to make you comfortable with the process and to know what to expect. I very much want you happy and at ease so you will continue to prepub (particularly my line! ). If you are a first time prepubber, you are the most precious customer out there.

Should you have any worries or concerns about what is happening in the prepub process, send me a geekmail here and I will check on it for you. I come here daily.

Richard has it pretty much right. AVL is now shipping and you should watch for a charge on your CC. That is the way you will know all is fine. If you are not charged, something is wrong with your payment - that is the signal to know where to look. Give it a few weeks for that.

As for the afterpublishing support (rules support and such), you can certainly ask here and I will see it. But part of the fun of this hobby is discovering things with the rest of the guys. Consimworld is better for discussions and I am there more - join us over there for more nitty gritty talk if you want.

Anyway, again, I am here for you if you need me - just an email away. Prepubbers have enormous control over the end product (much more than you might think) - I will make games you want! So have a look at the other games out there on prepub (even if they aren't mine) and join the game makers - not just the game players.

Adam

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Cinzori
United States
Holland
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Thanks everyone for the fast and informative replies. I'm looking forward to getting AVL in a few weeks, and I have a much better idea now about what to expect.

And I guess it's time to take a peek at Consimworld....

-Aaron

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Herb Petro
United States
INDIAN TRAIL
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I find CSW great for discussions about individual games and game series. A lot of designers, developers, and publishers participate in the forums there.

I prefer BGG for general gaming discussions due to the threaded/topic format (CSW is terrible for handling wide ranging and general discussions, IMHO). BGG also has more info on minature and euro style games, while CSW generally focuses on wargames but does have a smattering of other games represented.

I find both sites very valuable, but very different.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.