Popular Tags: [View All]
B. Huddleston
United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My wife and I played a 2-player game of Mykerinos last night for the first time after a game of Reef Encounter. This was her first exposure to the game and actually my second.

My first attempt at this game was a 3-player game a week ago in which we played totally wrong. We had played giving 11 cubes to each player at the beginning of the first season only (no more cubes for the rest of the game!) and we used 6 areas instead of 4 for all four seasons instead of just the last. After this game we re-read the rules and discovered our mistakes and assumed these corrections would make for a much better game. Indeed they did.

The two player rules require a few changes to the multi-player rules. I usually do not like 2-player games that require a simulated 3rd player but I was desparate to play and my wife was willing. In addition to the 11 cubes given to each player at the begininng of each season 4 cubes are given to each in a neutral color. The actions in the second phase are chosen as in the multi-player game, but in addition (at the end of each turn)you are allowed to start a new excavation or extend an existing excavation in the neutral color. Through out the game we both used the neutral color more as a defensive maneuver (blocking an opponents ability to extend an excavation) rather than as a way for the neutral color to place second during Phase 3 (The survey). Since the simulated 3rd player cannot be placed in the museum, there is no threat in losing to the simulated player.

The seasons progressed with my wife getting into the museum early (a 3 and a 5 in the same wing [Lady Violet]) and then preceeded to win 6 Lady Violet, 2 Mrs. Blackmore, 1 Sir Brown, and 1 Colonel Lemon patron cards but failed to get into any other rooms in the museum. I got into the museum later but I eventually placed two 2's and two 5's (Lord Lemon and Colonel Tangerine) and preceeded to win 5 Lord Lemon, 3 Colonel Tangerine, and 1 Mrs. Blackmore patron cards. I ended up winning by 5 points: 47 to 42. The simulated 3rd player had very few points probably less than 15.

This is a very fun 2-player game and all reservations about playing with a 3rd simulated player have now disappeared. The simulated 3rd player adds more of a defensive element to the game rather than a true competitve entity. I will not hesitate to play another 2-player game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Cote
United States
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree completely. The 4 neutral cubes almost act as extra cubes of your own that you cannot use for your own scoring. There's virtaully no burden to this 2p game. In fact, I think I'll miss the neutral cubes playing 3p or 4p.

The same is true for playing San Marco using the 2p variant here.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.