Canada
bon accord
Alberta
flag msg tools
Hey!
badge
What're you looking at!
mbmbmbmbmb
My wife and I have had about six one and two lap races, but decided to try the real thing, a three lap race. We used all of the advanced rules, except for slipstreaming because we didn't want to have too many new rules, and didn't think it would apply all that often on the Monaco track. In all our races, we race three separate cars each.

Time Trials

We had never attempted these before, and my wife kicked my butt. We ran them in hard tires in the sunshine. By the time I did my third car I was finishing in about the same time as my wife, just under three minutes, but she was using fewer tire points than me. She took pole position and the next two, while my cars brought up the rear. The positions were:

Blue Bullet (P)
Fireball (P)
Green Rocket (P)
Lucky (C)
Wonderboy (C)
Shadow (C)

P=Penny
C=Chris

The Race

The weather was sunny, so we set out to construct our cars. Not having done this before, we decided to employ a little variety. I gave two of my cars soft tires, while my wife only gave one of hers soft tires. I alloted my soft tire cars five points, but on reflection, four would have been better, as all tire penalties are doubled there is no point giving your car an odd number.

The three lap race is quite punishing on the cars, and those twenty points don't seem to last very long, and our apportionment was a little shy in places. I only gave my cars two body points, and that made for some very tense racing after losing one point, knowing that elimination was only one collision away. Two suspension points and two engine points would seem to be the minimum too if you don't want to risk instant elimination. It's a good thing for pit stops. Still, only three of our six cars finished the race.

Lap 1:

No one got a flying start, and the pole position Blue Bullet took an early lead. The benefit of soft tires was very apparent in the first lap, and the cars were very tight indeed with lots of collision rolls. Lucky and Shadow picked up body damage on the first lap.

I was able to make up my bad starting positions by time we got through the three-stop corner, where Lucky took the lead. The chicane was the real test though, and the lead three cars found that fifth gear brought them up just short, and everyone had to do some serious downshifting.

As we neared the end of the first lap, I debated whether to have my soft-tire cars stop now or later. Shadow kept going as he was in good shape. Lucky, however, had used four of his five brake points, and had used up most of his tire points, so he made a full stop. Wonderboy, in hard tires was trailing, and didn't stop. Fireball made a full stop too for brakes and tires.

Second lap:

In the pits, I checked the rules and found that I could also do bodywork, so I gave Lucky a bodywork point back. I was surprised by how quickly you could get out of the pits even after a full stop.

In the second lap, Shadow took the lead and never relinquished it in the race. However, I have to admit that he did get very good rolls, with a little help from me of course.

Lucky, however, actually managed to lose most everything he gained in the pits on the first corner after the pits, which he seriously overshot.

Blue Bullet managed to hit sixth gear coming into the second corner and was gaining on Shadow, who now had to drive quite conservatively until he could make a pit stop. There was still a clump of cars behind Blue Bullet and Shadow and lots of collision rolls. Fireball lost his last body point on the second lap and was eliminated.

On the chicane, Shadow landed it in fifth, while Blue Bullet and Wonderboy did not. Shadow's lead lengthened, and a full pit stop for tires and one point of brakes and body work, did not cause him to lose the lead.

Wonderboy, on the other hand, spun out on the corner just before the pits, and crawled into his pitstop, blocking the way for Blue Bullet. Blue Bullet and Green Rocket both made quick stops and carried on. Lucky opted not to make a second pit stop.

Third lap:

Lucky's decision didn't gain him much as he overshot a corner and was eliminated. Wonderboy, trailing far behind now, had opted for soft tires, but quickly burned them off and spun out for a second time. Shadow was far in the lead and finished the race, shortly after Blue Bullet and Green Rocket left the chicane. Wonderboy was eliminated overshooting a corner. Green Rocket finished second, and Blue Bullet third.

Lessons learned:

My wife drove much more conservatively than I, and her cars were in much better shape, with only one of them making a full pitstop, whereas all of mine made full stops. Two of my cars were eliminated to her one. If I hadn't made the chicane in the second lap, it would have been a much closer race, so I think I will have to take it a little easier and be more selective in my risk-taking.

I was very impressed by how quickly a car can get in and out of the pits, although my wife might not agree as she was once blocked by my car. Nevertheless, I would definitely use soft tires for all my cars, weather permitting.

The three lap race is much more intense, as you only have one point more than a two lap race, and those points have to last for an extra lap. The soft tires also seemed to make for a tighter race, as drivers chose to use the extra movement or not.

This was a very fun race and is a very cool game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.