Jonathan Degann
United States
Tarzana
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Played By: Jonathan D. Mike M.

I enjoy this game, but there is a degree to which I feel that it plays itself. Sure, I'll need to decide whether to make a favorable sale or let the opportunity pass and go further into space, but for a 90 minute game, I don't find myself really coming up with any particular strategy. Furthermore, the opportunities for player interaction are very limited. This has been especially the case since I tend to "play nice" and avoid taking the trading module, which allows you to force your opponent to sell you any one good of your choice for $2.

There is, though, definite competition for the second stage modules. There is only one of each, and each one is worth a relatively easy victory point. In the past, I tend to fill up my first stage modules until I have almost all of them. More flexibility, even if they don't provide VP's. Now I go for the second stage modules earlier - in order to grab the VP's while I can. I think this delay has helped contribute to longer playing times in past games.

Still I avoided taking the trade module until near the endgame, when I needed it to get the 2nd stage trade module. I find that this module is really a weapon. It tends to hurt your opponent more than it helps you. By mid game, if I really need a fuel cell, I can get one. But it stinks taking your opponents last one. Once your opponent has the trade module, your only choices are to get one for yourself, or to try using every last commodity, so there is nothing he can buy from you. Well, I hurt Mike alot, keeping him from advancing for quite awhile, ultimately winning 10 to 6. However, it was just his second game, and an improvement over last time.

As is always the case, the game ended before we started to draw the 3rd stage space exploration cards. Why does the game include so many more cards than are needed? My guess is that it is only to help insure that the game ends EVENTUALLY if both players take REALLY conservative strategies, avoiding all 2nd stage modules. Has anyone out there gotten into the 4th stage exploration cards in a game - much less well into the 3rd stage cards? Winner(s): Jonathan D.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.