Roy Stephens
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My girlfriend is looking to get a game for her cousin's kids for Christmas. They are a 6 year old boy and a 9 year old girl. The game would need to be something you could generally find at a standard retailer (Wal-Mart, mainly, as they live pretty far away from civilization) in case they needed to return it. I have no kids, so, I have no idea what to suggest. My first thought was HeroScape but (1) there is a little girl involved and I think she is not going to be interested in something like that and (2) more importantly, it would have to be something the kids could easily set up and take down themselves. My second thought was Kids of Catan, but you can't get that at Wally World...

So, I leave it to you, the great BGG community. What do you suggest?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Stubbs
United States
Florence
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: What current game would you suggest for a 6yo boy & 9yo
Thats a tough one... namely because I try to avoid Wal-Mart like the plague for moral reasons. However, the stuff I assume that you'd be able to get there would probably be some of the old "classics"

I know that you can find Loot at Wal-Mart based on a thread here a few months back. Uno might be another good cheap card game that you could pick up for them. Heck, a simple deck of poker cards could be used to teach them War or Go Fish (or more involved games if they're up for it).

Can you still get Operation? That might a good choice as its a dexterity game. If she's willing to spend a little bit of money, the Disney and/or Harry Potter Scene It? could also be an option.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob
United States
30° 12′ 38″ N, 95° 45′ 2″ W
flag msg tools
badge
You can't rob Peter, Paul and Mary to pay yourself.
mbmbmbmbmb
If you include Target, you can find:

Blokus
Rumis

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Denise Lavely
United States
Carmel
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
WalMart's website has Cranium Family Fun for $9.98, that looks like it's probably the most promising of the 104 games on their website. You may have better luck in a local store tho.

Does it have to be Walmart? If Target would do, I've had better luck there - you could get Apples to Apples Jr if the kids have other kids around to play with them. If it will mostly be the two of them you might look for Travel Blokus, or one of the many card games by Gamewright, sometimes I'll see Frog Juice or Rat a Tat Cat at my local Target.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Buetow
United States
McHenry
Illinois
flag msg tools
Combat Commander Archivist
badge
Move! Advance! Fire! Rout! Recover! Artillery Denied! Artillery Request! Command Confusion...say what?!
mbmbmbmbmb
My daughters are 11, 11 and 7. We have been playing Heroscape for almost 3 years. Don't discount it because one of the kids is a girl. Get it and teach them how to play! Loads of fun!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T. Rosen
United States
Arlington
Virginia
flag msg tools
admin
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sorry, never been to Walmart, so no suggestions on that front, but Amazon.com has a pretty friendly return policy, and that way she could get them something really good like Carcassonne

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Forhan
United States
Rochester
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
I'll second the nod for Rumis and Blokus, both of which can be found at Target. Loot is another good game available at Target and/or WM, but the one downside is it really doesn't play well with just two players; it's best with 4, 6, or 8 players.

Castle Keep is at WM, and I have picked up this for my kids for a future gift so they haven't played yet. It looks like a light version of Carcassone, so it could be perfect for kids that age.

Toys R Us might be another good choice -- they often have Carcassonne and a smattering of other popular Eurogame titles.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan A.
United States
Everett
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Let me recommend Laser Battle available at most Targets and WalMarts (sold out at BOTH of my local Walmarts though). It's easy to learn and I'm willing to bet that the lasers will grab the attention of your kids.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kent Reuber
United States
San Mateo
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I was going to suggest "Sleeping Queens". I've seen them at some toy stores but I don't know about Wal Mart.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JP LaChance
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Depends on how much you want to spend....

Heroscape for the boy no doubt ($40), the girl might like it too.

Ticket to Ride, Is my second choice if the one game needs to fit both the boy and the girl, they can play it together....
as for the need to buy from Wally World the heck with that noise... It is a gift, why do pepole get so worked up if it is a pain for the person who got the gift to take it back?? The person should just be happy they got anything at all.

How about some card games
Frank's zoo
There's a Moose in my House (available at Wally World)
Coloretto
The Knights of Charlemagne
For Sale

Best of luck
JP

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Kelly
United States
Madison
Mississippi
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Although it wouldn't cover your present obligation, you might include Loot, which is fun and available at Wal-mart.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.