Carcassone
Settlers
Tikal
Ingenious
Through The Desert
Puerto Rico

Here are my factors:
Should be able to play 2 player
should be something my wife might like (not too complex)
can't be too long (1 hour-ish?)

Here are the ones I've been considering.
Torres
Carc - The Tower
Settlers Card Game
Goa

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T. Rosen
United States
Arlington
Virginia
flag msg tools
admin
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sounds like you have a very nice collection so far, those are some of my favorites. I think Torres might be a good choice, especially if you like the action-point mechanic in Tikal. I've not heard very good things about the Tower expansion for Carcassonne, but I notice you don't have the Traders & Builders expansion, which is even better than Inns & Cathedrals in my opinion. Other games you might want to look into are Louis XIV (which is an excellent 2-player area control game) and Ra (which is an auction game with a very good 2-player variant). Goa is a great game but not at it's best with just 2 people, and I wasn't a big fan of the Settlers Card game, it doesn't capture the magic of Settlers. Best of luck deciding, I'm sure people will have lots of great suggestions!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Wilson
United States
Sioux City
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Goa is great with 2-4. Torres I'm not that high on. I like the Settlers card game, it's a great version of settlers. Another favorite of mine, Candamir: The First Settlers. It is a really different game that plays very well with 2. Right now, Blue Moon City is a great game at my house, I can play it non-stop almost, plays pretty well with 2 I find. But out of all your choices, I would go with Goa first. Then Settlers Card game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Knauer
United States
Heathrow
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Two that strongly match your factors are Thurn and Taxis and Blue Moon City.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
anoni mouse
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Torres is a good game choice. I would like to point you to Battle Lines. excellent game which my wife enjoys. Louis XIV is another good recommendation as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David DeGregory
United States
Nesconset
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I didn't mention all the games I had and didn't mention I have Traders and Builders and Inns and Cathedrals.

Thanks for the input though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David DeGregory
United States
Nesconset
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have played Thurn and Taxis and I do like it. Thank you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
adam wolf
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Have you looked at Attika?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darryl Boone
Canada
Coquitlam
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
Reading your recent posts has been like dipping my bottom over and over into a bath of the silkiest oils and creams.
mbmbmbmbmb
I wouldn't recommend Torres as a two player game.

Your criteria are exactly what I look for in a game, too. Here are some I've found that my wife especially likes.

The Downfall of Pompeii
Samurai
Attika
Hey, That's My Fish!

For just 2-players only, I can recommend Battle Line and Aton.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren M
Canada
Fort Vermilion
AB
flag msg tools
badge
mb
My picks would be:

San Juan
Battle Line/Schotten Totten
Jambo
Blokus
Traumfabrik
Mykerinos
Hacienda
Razzia!
Lost Cities
Hansa
Lord Of The Rings:The Confrontation

None are especially complex and all have good levels of strategic/tactical depth.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chester
United States
Temple
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
For two player Carcassonne, you can't do better than Carc:the Castle.

Its a Knizia. Its the best Carcassonne game I've played, period. The only drawback is that its purely a 2p game...but for a wife game based on what you've mentioned, I think its a great choice for you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phillip Heaton
United States
Springfield
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Search geeklists for "wife", "girlfriend", and "husband". These will give you some fifty geeklists about what you are looking for.

I notice that you have Lost Cities, but it doesn't appear to have been played. This game is very frequently mentioned in the above geeklists. Battle Line is supposed to be similar to Lost Cities, but better. I suppose that means that if you don't care for one, you won't like the other. I don't like Lost Cities, but I find Battle Line okay. Not good, but I'll play it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Walt
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
Before terraforming Mars, Surviving Mars is required: Paradox Interactive; Steam.
badge
Please contact me about board gaming in Orange County.
mbmbmbmbmb
eknauer wrote:
Two that strongly match your factors are Thurn and Taxis and Blue Moon City.

I'll second these two. These are very popular in my groups among all players (200+ players, 50+ regulars). Of the ones you mentioned, I like Goa best. Torres is nice, but not particularly pretty and it has that occassional Knizia dryness--for Knizia, BMC is a better choice by far, I feel. BMC has a lot of interesting things going on with its random board--the amount of money in the game varies by board--though it's not clear to me yet exactly how to make that work for just yourself in the game, the game being semi-cooperative in an odd way. Not on your list, Alhambra combines buying and tiles in a lighter package than Goa; it has a huge number of expansions, though it needs none of them. Except for Goa (a little heavier), I consider these all good "second step" games: games to play next after a gateway game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Maywalt
United States
Medford
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
People have mentioned Blue Moon City. I have it, love it, and was terrified to teach it to my wife because I thought it might be to complex. She played it one night and the next day was telling people how easy it was to learn. Never underestimate gaming wife.

Take a look it's worth it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Stanton
United States
Paoli
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Goa would be my choice but I've never played it 2-player. I would also point to Lord of the Rings: Confrontation (Deluxe edition).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott
United States
denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well I haven't played any of the games you're considering but here are some of my favorites.

Saint Petersburg- Very fun 2 player.

Ra- Like Puerto Rico, it doesn't say 2 player on the box but it has a great 2 player variant (just like PR). And it's brilliant with 3 or 4 as well.

Yinsh-If you like TtD, you might give this or any of the Gipf games a try.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David DeGregory
United States
Nesconset
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
OK, I didn't list all the games I own or have played because I wanted to highlight the ones I like more. Not that I dislike the other ones.

Anyway, I have played and/or own the following as well:
Yinsh
Samurai
Traders of Genoa
Carc: Princess and Dragon
Modern Art
Attika
Blokus
Lost Cities
Carc: The Castle
Balloon Cup
Ticket To Ride
San Juan
Bohnanza
Tongiaki
Emerald
6Nimmt

I'll have to look into some of the other ones that have been suggested. Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pedro
Portugal
Lisbon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:

should be something my wife might like (not too complex)

Torres is very abstract and, in my experience, not very wife friendly.

Based on your criteria, I would also suggest San Juan (based on Puerto Rico, but an excellent game on its own), Thurn und Taxis (the SdJ winner and a very balanced and polished medium weight game) and Elasund: the first city of Catan (a very interesting game, although a bit confrontational, which scales very well to 2, 3, or 4 players).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David DeGregory
United States
Nesconset
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks everybody. I'm still considering several of these suggestions, but for now, Tanga has decided for me to get Alhambra.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.