Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Chris
United States
Altoona
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Tonight the GF and I had a go of Walk the Dogs. A gamer's game this is not. However, it was good clean fun with 63 plastic dogs.

For those not familiar with the game, first you line up the dogs in a long curvy line. Throughout the game, cards are played that allow players to take dogs from this central line. The dogs you take form your own line that CANNOT be rearranged. This is important because the longer set of dog types in your own line give you higher point values.

Herein lies much of the strategy of the game. Which dogs do I take in order to keep my sets going, while impeding the sets my opponents are trying to make?

The game ends when the central line runs out, or when one player has a set of five dogs in a row. Our game ended by this first rule, resulting in the following scores,

GF: 80 pts
Me: 34 pts

First impressions:
1. As a gamer, I'm a little embarrassed by the above score. Not sure how that happened.

2. Assuming I read the rules correctly, a player draws a card BEFORE playing a card. I feel this is less strategic than drawing a card AFTER playing a card. See the following site for Bruno Faidutti's discussion of this topic, http://www.faidutti.com/index.php?Module=divers&id=446

3. The box is small. In order to get the dogs to fit in the box, I had to remove the insert. Not a huge deal, but I appreciate it when the designers take time to consider where everything goes in the box.

4. Although this is designed as a kid's game, there is room for strategy (also mentioned above). You are trying to maximize your sets of dogs, while minimizing the sets your opponent can make.

5. A few cards have special abilities that add a little "take that" into the game. The cards are few enough that everything can remain friendly.

6. Other special cards give points to the player with the fewest dogs. This should keep the scores closer (except in my case, as indicated above).

7. Who would have though little plastic dogs could be so cute?

With that, we call it an evening.

Chris H.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.