Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: recommendations [+] [View All]
Hunter Shelburne
United States
San Marcos
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
Check out Weaponsgrade Tabletop on Youtube!
mbmbmbmbmb
I've been craving a good Racing game, and went to Thoughthammer to check some out, but the one I wanted, Formula De, is out of stock (has been for a while waiting for the reprint I guess), and I was looking for something similar that I may enjoy, but I really haven't seen any other games fro the Racing genre, other than SPeed Circuit. I was wonderin gif there were any other good Auto racing (or other style, that may be up my alley) games that are available on thoughthammer that anyone knows of. Thanks to any help.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T. Fred
United States
Phoenix
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
Fez.
mbmbmbmbmb
THere is a great out of print Nascar game. Also fun is Forumla Motor Racing --though it is quite simple and doesn't use a track. You can probably pick up a Collectable Game called Race Day quite cheap now that it is discontinued. Fun, simple game w/ several tracks that uses constructed Nascar licensed cars.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Timothy
United States
St. Charles
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think the best for quick play is Detroit-Cleveland Grand Prix. From the bidding process to the actual racing, there's some fun strategy and tactics involved. If you've got multiple cars, a second car can slow down on the narrows while your lead car sprints ahead.

Good fun!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Robinson
England
Bewdley
Confusion
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Knizia's Formula Motor Racing is a great little filler, but I think it's out of stock. Kramer's racing games are a chuckle (Top Race, and the Detroit one already mentioned.)
Ave Caesar, although ostensibly about Chariot racing, was originally a racing game and is a good chuckle also.
Dare I add RoboRally? Yes I do!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Fisk
United Kingdom
Stoke on Trent
Staffordshire
flag msg tools
Come on you Seagulls! Sami Hyppia's Blue & White army!
badge
That's weird. This bit used to mention Shire Games, and tell you all how wonderful we are. But it seems to have got deleted. Let's see what happens this time ....
mbmbmbmbmb
Have a look at Bolide.

It's like Formula De, but it takes a little longer and doesn't have the dice.

Alternatively ....

While awaiting the FD reprint, you can create your own by picking up the components individually:

The dice are sold as a set, as are the replacement race sheets, metal cars and the circuits.

FD Mini also contains most of the parts. All you would need to add (IIRC) to that is a 6th gear dice and larger circuits.

N.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Don Weed
United States
Clemmons
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Bolide is good. If you are a NASCAR fan I recommend Real Action Stock Car Racing (RASC) with the realism pack.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Crane
United States
Orem
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
windmill88 wrote:
I think the best for quick play is Detroit-Cleveland Grand Prix Daytona 500.

I fixed that for you

I have a copy of formula de mini with the 6th gear die if you want to make an offer or trade. I like it a lot, but only one son will play it, and it really needs to be played as a league to truly shine.

Daytona 500 is cheap on ebay, but truth be told the Detroit track looks kinda interesting.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jose burdiel
Spain
Madrid
Madrid
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think the best game is Das MotorsportSpiele. It uses 1/87 scale cars and a large board. It's difficult to find but it's better than Formula Dè

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Was George Orwell an Optimist?
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
The Herbie Nichols Project - Dr. Cyclops' Dream
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Weapon wrote:
... I really haven't seen any other games fro the Racing genre, other than SPeed Circuit...

I personally think Speed Circuit is a far better game than Formula De.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Crane
United States
Orem
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
More discussion at The Definitive List of Car Racing Games Worth Playing:

http://boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/12079

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.