GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!

8,669 Supporters

$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
19 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
130 Posts
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [6] | 

Sentinels of the Multiverse» Forums » Variants

Subject: Overtime Comics Expansion- Printer Studio now online! rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Chris Garrett

Texas
msg tools
mbmbmb
Howdy,

My name is Chris Garrett, I'm a comic book creator and a huge fan of Sentinels of the Multiverse.

I've been working on converting my comic book characters into playable decks for the game and would like to reach out to some other creators to see if they'd be interested in lending a hand. I have over 300 pages of art we can use to pull images from for the cards, so they'd all have custom images.

If you're interested in helping build decks let me know, I'm pretty serious about making this happen and very open to any kind of feedback!

Quote:
How to get them:
Printer Studio Links:
First set (124 cards, Feb 15th 2016)= Turbulence, Gravnos, Haku & Flutter.

Print and Play links located when you click on the characters image below.

Big thanks to the following people for helping make this possible: Tosx, Yoshi, Dennis, Godhead, MrGeek, Phantaskippy, Jettosan, FlatOnHisFace, Fisco, EmperorEternal. I know it took nearly a year to get these up, I over estimated my graphic creating skills, but we've all put in a lot of effort and I expect them to go MUCH faster moving forward.

Want to try your hand at creating a deck? Contact me with which Hero/Villain/Environment you want to work on and I'll get you the digital comic so you can learn about the characters. It's highly encourage to read the comics first (posted below) to get a feel for the characters.
----------------------------------------------------------------------
COMPLETED:

These decks are considered completed. We may make minor tweaks as you report your experience with them.

NOW IN PRINT STUDIO- SEE ABOVE TO PRINT

Turbulence

Download Print and Play files
Feedback Forum

Gravnos

Download Print and Play files
Feedback Forum

Haku and Flutter

Print and Play
Feedback forum.
-------------------
TESTING - PLEASE JOIN US!

Cry Baby

Print and Play and give us your feedback!
Idea forum - please join us!

Victoria

Print and Play- TESTING
Forum for Feedback: https://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/1422112/custom-hero-vic...

Villains:

Defects

Print and Play- TESTING
Forum for Feedback

Six-Shooter

Print and Play - TESTING
Forum for Feedback

In Progress- we need your help and feedback!
Heroes:

Prince Shade

Idea forum - please join us!

Villains:
None

PLANNED- Not yet built for testing. Please ask before building a thread for them!

Heroes:
Turbulence: Ellementa
Defects: Boogey, Naptime, Game Plan, Bulldozer, Drizzle, Johnny, Skip, Scorch.

Villains: Mindfield, Ink

Environments- Defects School, Turbulence's City

Note: SoTM does not allow any of these to be sold for profit, they will be made available for print similar to the Cauldron expansion. If you like what you see, consider picking up my comics to support the characters, or, you know, just enjoy!
  • [+] Dice rolls
Courtney Smith
United States
Kingsport
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Custom Heroes - My entire comic book line
Hi Chris,

Welcome to BGG, since I see that you are a new user. I am sure there are plenty of talented people that could help with that in our community, and I for one would love to help test them once you get something going.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Rosenquist
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Where can we find out more info about your comics? Do they sell at comic shops or mainly from an online source?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Rob
United States
Tampa
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's funny, most of the time the problem is finding art for a home brewed SotM hero. You've got thousands of images to chose from!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Garrett

Texas
msg tools
mbmbmb
I really do, counting the individual panels and that I have almost 300 pages, it's....geez I don't know. Thousands is likely right!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Garrett

Texas
msg tools
mbmbmb
Normally I sell these digital editions (5 books per volume) for $5 each, but I love you SoTMer's so enjoy them for free! The link will auto download it, files are ~400MB

Turbulence: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/13505635/CompletedBooks/...

Turbulence is a true ‘Day 1′ Superhero storyt. Part of the story follow Turbulence growing as a hero while the other half is about the origins of superpowers, anybody can gain superpowers based on their passion and dedication instead of through accidents and chance. Whatever your hobby is, whatever you love, if your dedicated enough it can become a superpower

Defects:

Defects is a comic book about a group of children raised together in a ‘school’ for super powered children, but when a small group of students think something larger is happening they escape and go on the run in an effort to come back and free their friends. Their former classmates want nothing to do with them.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/13505635/CompletedBooks/...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Garrett

Texas
msg tools
mbmbmb
Thank you for the welcoming, I appreciate it!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maciej Stępiński
Poland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That is very generous of you blush I'll check it out then.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Rosenquist
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Jettosan wrote:
That is very generous of you blush I'll check it out then.

Yes, definitely! Thank you!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lewis Cabibi
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Certainly! What most people here tend to do is list a first draft of their deck in a separate thread, and edit based on what they want the hero to do and balance based on other user's play testing.

Thanks for the back story!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Garrett

Texas
msg tools
mbmbmb
Awesome, I'd be happy to brainstorm in this thread and then do another more official thread.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alejandro F
Spain
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Re: Custom Hero Creation- My entire comic book line, help brainstorm!
Welcome,

If i recall corrrectly,
Robert Kamphaus
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

has some nice templates to work with.

EDIT: I cant find the exact thread but maybe someone other could.

This is the thread: https://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/813176/card-templates

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Garrett

Texas
msg tools
mbmbmb
Here's a break down of some of my Turbulence characters, I'll do the same for Defects today. This will give you a quick idea of their powers and personalities.

STORY:
Heroes:

Turbulence - Air Control and Flight. He' s a brand new superhero and the least inexperienced of any of the other heroes, including the children. He overshoots a lot and is constantly making 'new rules' as a mental checklist of how to improve as a superhero.

Gravnos - Gravity Control. He would be a great support character. By increasing and increasing gravity he is able to make it harder and easier to move. He's also a great leader and would be able to give other people a turn to use a power.

Haku- Breaths fire, dragon scale skin and martial arts. Haku is the older brother of Flutter, a gifted martial artist and incredibly hot headed. He's to egar to prove himself and often takes on more than he can handle. I believe his deck would be a very high risk high reward deck.

Flutter - Indestructible wings she uses to block for people, they also let her fly. Flutter think's she's a dragon princess, a very innocent child who fights crime more to hang out with her adoptive brother Haku, than to want to contribute to the greater good. She would have a lot of shielding with her wings, and helping set others up for success. She and Flutter could possibly share a deck as they often work in sync with each other.

Ellementa - Control of the period table of elements. She can adjust molecules all around her just a little to get a different outcome. She's a teacher of super powered students and very patient.

Victoria - She can absorb water and turn her body into aspects of plants. Skin like bark, hair into vines. She's a very emotional character and prone to fits of rage and depression. The flower on her hair changes into different flowers depending on her mood.

Prince Shade - His scarf is alive, and requires jewels and gems to be feed to it in order to grant him power. This causes Prince Shade to be a thief, much to his reluctance in order to have the powers he needs to fight crime. He can teleport through shadows, and control the shadows of others like a puppet, causing them to move as the shadows do.

Villains:

Mindfield - She makes telepathic bombs that explode. She's a theif interested in the finer things in life and considers herself a proper 'dame'. She's been known to kidnap Flutter to get her away from 'dreary Victoria' and show her how a real woman should behave. Very manipulative.

Ink - Ink's blood has been replaced with tattoo ink. He can tattoo somebody (including himself, which hurts) and rip out the item to use it as a weapon. He could rip out a bomb, baseball bat, a brick wall, anything he can think of.

Six-Shooter- Six Shooter has 6 guns he built himself as a self proclaimed genius. Each of his guns is different (Ice, Fire, Acid, Gravity, Force Field and a useless Water Gun). He never knows which gun he'll fire next. He'll grab a random gun, shoot it once then put it back into a random holster where he'll draw another gun. He does this so nobody knows what he's thinking, including a mind reader. He hates mind readers.

Leash - Has the ability to keep people from leaving him by psychical locking them into place. Once locked in they are able to stay more than 10 yards away from them. He's been known to 'leash' people and jump off of buildings, or make them run into traffic. He's very mentally unstable.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Garrett

Texas
msg tools
mbmbmb
DEFECTS: This serious isn't as black and white as Turbulence when it comes to heroes or villains. I'm currently thinking every character would be a hero deck (even Johnny) and then making a Villain deck called 'Defects' where you fight the entire renegade team as a whole. A little ambitious but I think the payoff would be tremendous.

Game Plan - Game Plan can see any situation and know the perfect choice to make. He's always right and doesn't mind making sacrifices to reach the goal. He has a knife he's decent with but his mind is his real weapon. I'd like him to have the ability to search through his deck and maybe even allow other members of his team to search through there decks. Supporting other people to find the perfect card for the perfect situation (himself too) would really be his strong suit.

Drizzle- Bad ass martial artist with an amazing umbrella weapon. Her super power isn't revealed in the book, so she may need to be put on the backburner to avoid spoilers.

Nap Time - Naptime can look at another person and make them fall asleep, while they're asleep their thoughts/feelings cross over and mix between the two. I could see her having an ability to make the villain miss a turn, or look at their top card and decide to keep it or not.

Cry Baby - When he cries, his tears are made of blood, which he uses as a weapon. Cry Baby is very timid and sometimes has to cause physical/mental harm to himself to get worked up enough to use his ability. For Cry Baby I like the idea of 'blood tokens' when he takes X damage he gains Y tokens which are then spent on his different abilities, which can increase if he spends more tokens.

Bulldozer - A "good ol' boy" kind of a hick and does his best to look out for everone, good sense of humor. He's super strong but only when he's moving forward. He could push a truck a hundred feet with a flick, but he couldn't pull it any more than I could. He's also clumsy. I'm thinking he's be a high risk/high reward deck.

Scaredy Cat- A very skiddish super speeder with dreams of becoming a singer. She's terrified of, well everything. Crowds, fighting, you name it and it scares her. She often becomes startles and runs away to another state before regaining her composer. I don't have a mechanic for her thought up just yet.

Boogey - He's a terror. Often playing 'pranks' on unsuspecting people, which end in missing limbs and death. He brings his doll to life as a monster that mimic's his movements and smashes things, he can also inflict nightmares on people. No mechanics thought of just yet.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon Perry
msg tools
I'm very interested in helping out with this; I'll do some comic reading and see what comes to mind.

Looks cool, though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Garrett

Texas
msg tools
mbmbmb
Awesome, welcome aboard. My hopes is that we can all work together to build these out. My experience in crafting new SoTM decks is super limited and I think by working together we can make some amazing decks to play.

I'd love it anyone interested just pitched their ideas on here so we can all come together to flesh these out over individual character threads. If somebody wants to call 'dibs' or whatever, I'm fine with that. I know Eric's already looking into Game Plan.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Miller
Canada
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mb
Honestly,

I would be willing and able to take a crack at the whole Defects line - not just Game Plan.

They each really intrigue me.

Of course I won't try and prevent anyone else from coming up with ideas as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dean
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Don't forget environments -- they are a huge part of the game play in SotM. I'm assuming one for the Defects school is in order. But for those of us who haven't had a chance to read through the books yet, do you have other recurring locations that you can describe?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Garrett

Texas
msg tools
mbmbmb
The school is definitely a location we can use. Turbulence has several locations that take place through out a city, so it would offer up sort of an ever evolving city. The fights tend to span over several miles, so it would be one deck that would contain things like the police station, pool, things like that. It doesn't have a single strong location though. I'll think more on this.

The school from Defects has a ton of potential though and is a character in itself in the book.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Miller
Canada
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mb
The city would be the location for Turbulence. Just like Rook City or Megalopolis.

The challenge would be in setting it apart from those two, which already check a lot of the boxes for the Gotham/Metropolis comic city dichotomy.

Some strong locations/features are the police, Grav's headquarters, the docks, the warehouse district, thugs, Veloci-clawer. There's a lot there.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maciej Stępiński
Poland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I just read the first volume of Turbulence. Not exactly the most groundbreaking work but I definitely enjoyed it and I'll check out the rest some day.

From what I had, there's not much I can use to make full blown decks, but only because some characters aren't focused on in early issues. Turbulence, Gravnos, Haku, Flutter and Victoria I can see, but Ellementa and Prince Shade will have to go to backburner until we see some more from them. Same applies to villains- aside from Ink and Six-Shooter, the others don't have much potential for a full blown villain deck yet (a team, perhaps?).

Keep in mind that 128 pages (the ones you shared) isn't a lot to draw inspiration for half a dozen of 40 card unique decks, but don't let that stop us. Here's what I can imagine right now:

Turbulence: Air Control and Flight basically beg for an offensive deck full of weak one shots (wind gust, finger gun etc.) that could combo together somehow. Damage type would be mostly projectile or sonic (since Sentinels don't have a damage type called "Wind"), with occassional melee for good measure. Since he can fly, he can have it as a defensive card or maybe power (Power: Reduce next damage dealt by 2), maybe even a wind shield that he could use on others, but I'll limit his support abilities to a minimum. His goggles and jacket should be an equipment. I'm not sure what they would do, but if Chrono-Ranger can have a hat, then so can Turbie. Main power... no idea, probably not dealing damage but something with more utiity, like Play a one-shot, or 'reveal x cards from your deck, take one, discard others'.

Gravnos: Hands down my favourite character and a solid choice for a support. He should have a lot of one-shots that buff the entire team (card draws, power uses, take a card from trash, rearrange deck etc.), some defensive powers to buff allies and debuff enemies- there was one time where he slowed down the crowd, but perhaps mass debuff would be a little too good (maybe if it had a cost?). There was one time in comic he helped Turbulence beat a thug with his power, which could easily translate into a power/one shot "another hero deals x melee damage to 1 target" type of card. He could have some minimal offensive powers, maybe a lone power card that just deals damage, which is fine and dandy, but not nearly as useful as his other stuff- more of a 'in case we really need that damage' type of situation (or in case the team is incapped, in which case he really failed in his role).
I dunno what it would do, but one card MUST be him with flow charts. And it has to be an entire team buff of some sorts (card draw?).
No equipment to speak of, so we can skip it and not give him any.

Haku and Flutter: Even though they did things separetaly in the comic sometimes, they should be a team, no doubt. Two character cards but one deck, Sentinels style, with some cards used by only one of them, some by either and few that either require both, or are more useful when they're together (but having one powerful card that works only when one is down isn't out of option).
From the Haku side of things, he's the attacker first and foremost, so having all powers and one shots deal damage isn't unheard of, with occasional self buffs and very limited defensive skills (but at least one, I mean look at those abs!). Damage type mostly melee, with occasional fire (breath). Some cards could be stronger, but expose him to attacks (like "Deal 1 villain target x damage, that target deals Haku 1 more damage until next turn" kind of stuff). Some self hurting wont'... hurt.
From the Flutter side of things, its the opposite. Limited (if any) offensive abilities, but plenty defense, redirections and maybe even a self-heal or two. Some of her support powers should work on everyone (or at least anyone), but the best ones should be limited to herself and Haku.
And of course some cards that both benefit from, like a card that lets both of them activate a single power, or tag-attack (Flutter hurls Haku at enemy stuff).
No equipment (maybe aside from a shirt for Haku that does nothing, except being there to be destroyed instead of something else... I dunno why I found that scene so funny).

Victoria: Seems like a good all-rounded character that can fill out almost any role. Her prehensile hair are strong enough to lift really heavy stuff and she can use thorns among other thing, so damage dealing isn't a problem. Her skin can become bark-like and she has a lot of mobility, so there is a potential for a tanking. As for support powers, no idea, but we can figure something out. I'm not sure if she has any other effects with her plants other than what I saw, but let's assume I'll find out more about her in the near future, so let's hold that thought. Dunno if she can control other plants, but that would give a good excuse to throw in some enviromnent/ongoing destruction.
As for the weakness, she needs water to sustain her powers, which in Sentinels terms usally means "discard cards or destroy this card", so having her rely on constant draw, keeping her hand full at any times and carefully choosing what to play and discard to keep herself in the game- reminds me of Scholar, who can have a lot of powerfull cards in game, but has to pay for them each turn, so he can't usually do too much at the same time.
Like an unstable personality that she is, she requires some support to be fully effective, but when someone supplies her with cards (Gravnos, Legacy, Team Leader Tachyon), she could be unstoppable.

That's pretty much what I can think of now. Hope that helped.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Garrett

Texas
msg tools
mbmbmb
Thanks for the in depth look at the characters!

I have more of the books that haven't been released which will explore some of the villains, so they'll be available soon. I really like your look at the heroes and think you're pretty spot on with this, I definitely think we're on the right track. If you get the time I'd love your input on Defects too!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alejandro F
Spain
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Jettosan wrote:

Turbulence: Air Control and Flight basically beg for an offensive deck full of weak one shots (wind gust, finger gun etc.) that could combo together somehow. Damage type would be mostly projectile or sonic (since Sentinels don't have a damage type called "Wind"), with occassional melee for good measure. Since he can fly, he can have it as a defensive card or maybe power (Power: Reduce next damage dealt by 2), maybe even a wind shield that he could use on others, but I'll limit his support abilities to a minimum. His goggles and jacket should be an equipment. I'm not sure what they would do, but if Chrono-Ranger can have a hat, then so can Turbie. Main power... no idea, probably not dealing damage but something with more utiity, like Play a one-shot, or 'reveal x cards from your deck, take one, discard others'.

It looked fast, so I think he must have some drawing cards to go through his deck quickly. Maybe his base power: Discard anynumber of cards from your hand. Draw as many cards as you discarded?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maciej Stępiński
Poland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Fisico wrote:
Jettosan wrote:

It looked fast, so I think he must have some drawing cards to go through his deck quickly. Maybe his base power: Discard anynumber of cards from your hand. Draw as many cards as you discarded?

That wouldn't really give him cards, just help mill through the deck in search for something better. I imagined him as more of a card-spammer, playing one after the other, like Tachyon, except cards are a little stronger than hers, but there's no burst to keep up with.

But yes, he should be able to draw cards more easily. Maybe a standard "Draw 2, discard 1" would be better?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alejandro F
Spain
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Jettosan wrote:
Fisico wrote:
Jettosan wrote:

That wouldn't really give him cards, just help mill through the deck in search for something better. I imagined him as more of a card-spammer, playing one after the other, like Tachyon, except cards are a little stronger than hers, but there's no burst to keep up with.

But yes, he should be able to draw cards more easily. Maybe a standard "Draw 2, discard 1" would be better?

I like the 'discard first, see what you get last' aproach. He is improvising all the way.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [6] | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.