Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
John Stimson
United States
Menomonee Falls
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Who wins if Player A attacks player B winning his 9th province and Player B recieves compensation II pushing him to the top of both competence tracks?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mrbass
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
The Game can be won in three different ways, and immediately ends when one of the following conditions is achieved:

I'd say the player who conquered his 9th province as that action would occur before the other is done.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Ward
United States
Fort Worth
Texas
flag msg tools
True, its mentioned in the rules in that order. But we've already been mislead by using that as an indicator of designer intent. Initially some assumed Compensation was performed before Escape, because it was mentioned in the rules in that order. However the designer chimed in later and said just the opposite was the way to play it.

So... I think we should wait for the designer to answer this question. I just played the game last night and this very question came up; was I going to through the game to an opponent if I attacked him and he got Compensation II, even though I could achieve victory myself.

This is an important issue, since unlike some games (e.g. Settlers of Catan) where there is a rule stating you can only declare victory on your own turn, this game has no such mechanism. As the Triumvirate rules stand you could very well unintentionally play kingmaker by pushing someone up the competence track(s) and give them the win on your turn.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Stimson
United States
Menomonee Falls
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The ENGLISH rules do not state a timing of events, which would lead me to believe that these actions are simultanious. Logic would say the actions are not simultanious, otherwise there could be ties.

The rules states that the attacker replaces the Governor with one of his own color. The loser recieves the compensation I card and executes it ..... This ambiguity could be cleared up by the addition of ONE word: The loser THEN recieves the Compensation I Card and executes it ..... It would then be clear that the actions are not simultanious. Lacking any reference to timing is mildly annoying. It's possible the translation is lacking. But as written the rules are unclear. Given this question revolves around victory conditions, I'd like the designer to weigh in.

BTW it wouldn't have mattered in my one game, but could have been an issue.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Johannes Ackva
Germany
Mainz
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
Salvete,

sorry for keeping you waiting for so long for the official designer's statement. Here it is:

Conquering a province is always prior to "Compensation". Since you recieve a Compensation as the result and compensation of the loss of a province, it wouldn't be logical otherwise at all. Or, as stated in the rules (page 8, left column, Z-Man-Edition): "The player that has lost the province recieves the Compensation Card I and executes it,[...]"
Since it is "has lost", it gives a clear chronological order that sets the conquering chronologically prior to the "Compensation". Combined with the principle of direct victory if any of the three victory-conditions is met, the attacker wins the game in this case by military victory.

Don't mind this formalism above! I just wanted to clarify that it's in the rules, nevertheless I agree that it could have been made more obvious!
That's why we'll also include this answer on our FAQ on our homepage www.das-ende-des-triumvirats.de/en soon.

Keep enjoying the game :-)

Johannes

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.