Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Hunter Shelburne
United States
San Marcos
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
Check out Weaponsgrade Tabletop on Youtube!
mbmbmbmbmb
I was looking for a racing game, and had my eye on Race Day for a while (I like CCGs and stuff, so this seemed cool), but I knew, being Wizkids and a sports title, it would tank, so I waited (I play Sportsclix ). Low and behold, it did. I've heard mixed reviews about it, however. The rules seem solid, but does the game lend itself to league play, as say Formula De does? IE: Seasons or whatnot, multiple races and maybe even players "owning" more than one car on their team? I was just wondering, because I saw a box on ebay going rather cheap, and I might pick it up, or another inexpensive box down the road.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Team Ski
United States
Dover
Delaware
flag msg tools
badge
CHOMP!!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Race Day is currently discontinued, so you better not think too long on it. You can get the boosters for $1.97 at Walmart at markdown.

-Ski

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hunter Shelburne
United States
San Marcos
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Teamski wrote:
Race Day is currently discontinued, so you better not think too long on it. You can get the boosters for $1.97 at Walmart at markdown.

-Ski

Yeah, I knew it was finished, but there are still quite a few packs floating around. I was mainly worried about the gameplay, not availabiity.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hunter Shelburne
United States
San Marcos
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Weapon wrote:
Teamski wrote:

-Ski

Yeah, I knew it was finished, but there are still quite a few packs floating around. I was mainly worried about the gameplay, not availabiity.

To clarify, how it compares to games like Formula De. Is the gameplay just watered down too much, or is its main problem the collectability to people?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gene Vogel
United States
Shakopee
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Personally, I like Formula De, Real Action Stockcar Championship or any other racing game that I can get my hands on. As far as Race Day, I really like the components, and the FULL-rules gameplay.

See, if you play on the basic version on the small track, you don't get the full feel of the game. You need a big track (especially if it's one of the deluxe tracks) to really experience the full game.

It is a little thin as far as some of the strategy goes. I'd really like to see some cool house-rules that can take care of this issue.

One nice thing is that since it's a "dead" collectible game, you can find it cheap. Another thing, in one of these threads there is a link you can use to find car decals that you can print and put on your common cars to bring new drivers into the game! And they are free! Some of the designers even take requests!

Of course, I'd say the more cars on the track, the merrier. If you have a smaller group playing, give everyone 2 cars that can work as a team, like Brian Vickers and Jimmy Johnson... oh wait... or like Michael Waltrip and Dale Earnhardt Jr. did at a non-restrictor plate track back in the day... oh wait... more like Kevin Harvick and Jeff Burton? Yeah - that one works!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hunter Shelburne
United States
San Marcos
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
GVogel wrote:
Personally, I like Formula De, Real Action Stockcar Championship or any other racing game that I can get my hands on. As far as Race Day, I really like the components, and the FULL-rules gameplay.

See, if you play on the basic version on the small track, you don't get the full feel of the game. You need a big track (especially if it's one of the deluxe tracks) to really experience the full game.

It is a little thin as far as some of the strategy goes. I'd really like to see some cool house-rules that can take care of this issue.

One nice thing is that since it's a "dead" collectible game, you can find it cheap. Another thing, in one of these threads there is a link you can use to find car decals that you can print and put on your common cars to bring new drivers into the game! And they are free! Some of the designers even take requests!

Of course, I'd say the more cars on the track, the merrier. If you have a smaller group playing, give everyone 2 cars that can work as a team, like Brian Vickers and Jimmy Johnson... oh wait... or like Michael Waltrip and Dale Earnhardt Jr. did at a non-restrictor plate track back in the day... oh wait... more like Kevin Harvick and Jeff Burton? Yeah - that one works!

There is no Beginner rules in this house

I always play full versions, and I know the thing is dead, I was just worried about gameplay for league and multiple races. I'll probably grab some.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.