Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Brad McKenzie
Thailand
Bangkok
Bangkok
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Since I've brought Patchwork home a few days ago, it has seen more game play than most other games in my collection. My wife likes it, my 5-year-old daughter requests it, and even my non-gamer son enjoys it. We obviously do not play very seriously, and it has been a casual, enjoyable way for the four of us (playing in teams of two) to spend some time together.

From the beginning I had told my wife that we deduct only one point for each unfilled square on the grid. My reasoning had been that I had heard that scores, especially in the beginning, can run into negative numbers. If I ever wanted my wife to play a second game, I had to keep that from happening at all costs.

Now that we've got about ten games experience in the past four days, I've mentioned that the rules actually mention deducting two points, and I explained my reasoning for changing it to a single point. She still only wants to play a single point deduction, agreeing with my thinking on negative scores.

My question for wiser and more experienced quilters is what effect, if any, does a one-point deduction have on game play compared to the normal two points?

Thank you in advance for your thoughts!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
There's a shape called "The Golden Rectangle". Have you heard of it?
United States
Little Canada
Minnesota
flag msg tools
It refers to a rectangle that's approximately contstructed in the ratio of 9 to 16. The golden rectangle has several characteristics. Let's say I create a square within this shape. Then, this smaller rectangle that I just created will also be a
badge
golden rectangle. I make another square within that and the leftover is another golden rectangle. And I make a few more, and when I connect all the central points of these shapes it creates a spiral that continues forever. This is the "Golden Spin".
mbmbmbmbmb
Larger, more difficult tiles are now worth far less (1 less point per space covered).

Just do the converse: Every space _covered_ at the end of the game is worth 2 points. Empty spaces are worth nothing.

Or give everyone 50 points to start with and play by the normal rules. Or just realize negative scores aren't bad.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gillum the Stoor
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think that the tiles in the game were carefully priced related to their size, shape, and potential income (the last depending on when you build a tile).

Large oddly shaped tiles often require careful assessment by a player. They can get you lots of points (since each square a tile covers gets you 2 points), but they can make subsequent placement harder. Large tiles with less odd shapes can be very expensive because they're highly desirable.

If you scaled back the penalty for empty spaces to 1 point instead of 2, the larger tiles would become much less valuable - but their costs (either buttons to buy them or indirect cost of having a weird-shaped tile on your board) would stay the same.

I would think that, with this change of rules, players would learn to avoid the larger tiles. In some cases, buying one of those tiles might become a losing proposition (if it costs more buttons than spaces it covers). Even those that aren't a net minus might become undesirable because you'd get more "buttons per time" (which is what the game is all about) by just taking buttons rather than buying one of the bigger patches.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad McKenzie
Thailand
Bangkok
Bangkok
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
golden_cow2 wrote:
Larger, more difficult tiles are now worth far less (1 less point per space covered).

Just do the converse: Every space _covered_ at the end of the game is worth 2 points. Empty spaces are worth nothing.

Or give everyone 50 points to start with and play by the normal rules. Or just realize negative scores aren't bad.

I like the idea of giving two points for each square covered. More points are always better in my family. Negatives will always be bad. I look forward to trying your ideas out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edward
United States
Irvine
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
golden_cow2 wrote:
Or give everyone 50 points to start with and play by the normal rules.

Heck, give everyone 162 points to start with.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Virginia M.P.
United States
Bronx
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I wouldn't mess with the scoring myself. I trust Rosenberg to know exactly what he was doing and I like the way it's balanced, plus I'm not afraid of negative scoring.

That said, if your version works well for your family then enjoy. As you said, you're playing casually anyway.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.