Pasi Pitkänen
Finland
flag msg tools
On page 5 in a second paragraph:

The 4-6-7 makes an original DR of 5, modified to a 6...

Why is that modified ?
-------------------------------

On page 5 in a third paragraph:

The 4-6-7 makes an original DR of 12 (boxcars) with a final DR of 13. (why this is modified to 13) The 4-6-7 is Casualty Reduced for rolling an original 12 and replaced with a 2-4-7. That 2-4-7 is replaced by a 2-3-7 half squad as the final DR war greater that the morale of unit plus that unit's ELR.

What does the final sentence mean ?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris van Wyk
South Africa
Stellenridge, Cape Town
Western Cape
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Pasi,

Pause wrote:
On page 5 in a second paragraph:

The 4-6-7 makes an original DR of 5, modified to a 6...

Why is that modified ?

The 4-6-7 is making an 1MC.

If you look at the sentence prior to the one you are quoting it reads, "Cross referencing 4 on the 2 column of the IFT results in +1 Morale Check(1MC)".

The 1 prefixing the MC indicates that you need to add that amount to your dice roll, i.e. a dice roll modifier (DRM). In this example ... an original of 5, modified to a 6 ...

Section 3.2.1 Effects on page 5 and 6 explains this. Also take note of #KIA results and K/# results, as these also affects dice rolls.

Pause wrote:

-------------------------------

On page 5 in a third paragraph:

The 4-6-7 makes an original DR of 12 (boxcars) with a final DR of 13. (why this is modified to 13) The 4-6-7 is Casualty Reduced for rolling an original 12 and replaced with a 2-4-7. That 2-4-7 is replaced by a 2-3-7 half squad as the final DR war greater that the morale of unit plus that unit's ELR.

What does the final sentence mean ?

First it is an 1MC, as per your 1st question. As the units needs to pass a 1MC the unit needs to add a 1 onto the dice roll. The unit did not pass the MC so it breaks and the counter is flipped. When broken the unit is placed under a desperation morale (DM) counter.

However, when doing an MC, an original roll of 12 also results in the unit suffering casualty reduction, apart from only breaking. In this case the unit takes a step loss, i.e. gets reduced from a full squad to a half squad.

Now have a look at the heading of the example (assuming German ELR of 3). ELR is Experience Level Rating and is described in section 5.0 on page 11. This is the maximum amount by which a unit may miss a MC before it also reduces in experience. Note that this is the maximum amount after all DRMs are applied.

This means that in the example, the squad breaks, casualty reduces and drops in experience. Experience level drops are Elite->1st Line->2nd Line->Green/Conscript. Fortunately in the SKs it can not go worse than Green/Conscripts, but in full ASL these guys gets disrupted and they can not rout or rally on their own.

I hope this helped.

Chris

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Brady
United States
Arlington
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yep, 12s are bad for you on morale checks. They don't do you much good when you're shooting, either. Ask me how I know.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Graham Smallwood
United States
Santa Ana
California
flag msg tools
badge
TWO Equals in an "if" statement!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Chris, that was the greatest rules answer I've ever seen. Really, that kind of post is one of the reasons I am so excited about learning ASL. I see a lot of Session Reports and rules help here, and well... I'm rambling now.

Anywho, I just felt the need to reply and bump this post up to the front again.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pasi Pitkänen
Finland
flag msg tools
Thanks a lot. Really helped. ASLSK1 rulebook is little bit confusing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris van Wyk
South Africa
Stellenridge, Cape Town
Western Cape
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks Graham and a pleasure Pasi. I am glad I could help out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pasi Pitkänen
Finland
flag msg tools

By the way is this sequence of play correct?
http://files.boardgamegeek.com/viewfile.php3?fileid=13036

So actually with this one i can play ASLSK1 right.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Richardson
United States
Lindsborg
Kansas
flag msg tools
mb
I think that several players have commented favorably on that sequence of play chart in other threads... and no one has found any errors that I know of.

Looking over it, I don't see any obvious problems, but I haven't checked it closely.

It has been suggested to MMP that an official sequence of play chart should be included in the upcoming ASLSK3... but whether they will act on that suggestion (and whether there is even any room for such a chart) remains to be seen.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.