Popular Tags: supporter [+] [View All]
The Seal of Approval
Austria
Vienna
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi,

I tried becoming a supporter, but PayPal is not working for me...is there any other way?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T. Rosen
United States
Arlington
Virginia
flag msg tools
admin
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, you can mail a check according to http://www.boardgamegeek.com/support.php

Quote:
If you'd like to mail your payment, please make checks payable to:

BoardGameGeek, LLC
7930 Xavier Ct.
Dallas, TX 75218

Make sure to put your username on the check so we can update your account with "Site Supporter" status.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Seal of Approval
Austria
Vienna
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for your reply!

Huh, checks? I guess that's something that works only inside the US. I haven't seen a check in more than 10 years (let alone used one).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Pardoe
United States
flag msg tools
badge
Can I ask how "Paypal is not working for you".

One thing to check when you reach the support page: http://www.boardgamegeek.com/support.php - are you logged in? At the bottom of the top section (under the logo and text), you should see Your Username: Asperamanca. If you don't you might need to refresh your log in before clicking on any of the Paypal links offered.

Otherwise, perhaps a few more specifics will help us offer solutions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Seal of Approval
Austria
Vienna
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This is kind of a long story...

Years ago, I needed a paypal account for some auction or other. So I got my account, entered my data, did my transaction, and that was it.

Years later...

...I remembered once having a paypal account. I tried logging in, but for the love of all things, I could not remember my password. Nope, I'm not using no simple passwords! And I don't use the same password for everything, and...
OK, I went through all that "recover your password" stuff, but found myself absolutely unable to do so. In the end, my account was locked, and I was asked to send in a copy of a personal document (or something like that, I can't remember exacly) in order to unlock the account. Right then I decided that I had lived well without a paypal account for several years, so I wouldn't really miss it. Since it was locked anyway, it would at least not be a security liability.

About one year later...

I decide to become a BGG supporter. I clicked the link. I saw PayPal (uh-oh), I saw "you don't have to be a member" (aaah!), click, click, enter mail, address, name, credit card...
..."The email and/or credit card information you entered is already used by an ebay account" (argh!)

So, I don't really want to spend any significant amount of time trying to get my paypal account working again, so I guess I'll just have to leave it at that.

There, that's why I asked about alternatives to PayPal right away. I hope my story makes sense to you (it sure doesn't make sense to me in some places).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Pardoe
United States
flag msg tools
badge
Thanks...understand your situation now.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Buetow
United States
McHenry
Illinois
flag msg tools
Combat Commander Archivist
badge
Move! Advance! Fire! Rout! Recover! Artillery Denied! Artillery Request! Command Confusion...say what?!
mbmbmbmbmb
Can't you use a Credit Card through PayPal? I've done that before when I had the same problem of not being able to access an old account.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Seal of Approval
Austria
Vienna
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Malacandra wrote:
Can't you use a Credit Card through PayPal? I've done that before when I had the same problem of not being able to access an old account.

Well, it seems they won't accept the same credit card number as in the locked account. And it's the only card of a type they will accept. So there you go.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T. Rosen
United States
Arlington
Virginia
flag msg tools
admin
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
They don't use checks any more in Austria? Wow, what do you pay rent and bills with?

What a tale of woe with PayPal, not a surprise though, they can be such a pain.

Trying to brainstorm other ways you can become a supporter... perhaps give the cash to Derk at Essen next month if you're going, or to someone coming to BGG.CON, or just mail the cash and hope. Hmm, can't think of anything else right now.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Buetow
United States
McHenry
Illinois
flag msg tools
Combat Commander Archivist
badge
Move! Advance! Fire! Rout! Recover! Artillery Denied! Artillery Request! Command Confusion...say what?!
mbmbmbmbmb
Asperamanca wrote:
Malacandra wrote:

Well, it seems they won't accept the same credit card number as in the locked account. And it's the only card of a type they will accept. So there you go.

Try it without logging in?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Seal of Approval
Austria
Vienna
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
They don't use checks any more in Austria? Wow, what do you pay rent and bills with?

Online banking (especially for regular expenses like rents, or for big amounts), payment forms (instead of online banking, mostly for people without computers - you simply fill them out and drop them off at a bank), cash cards (you can use them in almost any shop for any amount up to roughtly $300), credit cards (for somewhat larger amounts) or cash (for a few bucks).

For example, when I walk by my FLGS, gravitational attraction sets in, I remember there was a game I wanted to buy, I go to the desk with three games (because a single game might feel lonely in my backpack), I simply shove my card into a cardreader, type a code, and my money is gone. Simple as that.

shake

Too simple, sometimes.

Quote:
Try it without logging in?

I did. They seem to compare the card number with all of their accounts.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T. Rosen
United States
Arlington
Virginia
flag msg tools
admin
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hmmm, this poses quite a dilemma... aren't there competitors to PayPal, like BidPay (http://www.bidpay.com/) or something, which might work? Maybe send a message to Aldie to see if he has any suggestions since I'm sure he'd be happy to figure out some way to take your money.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Alden
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
admin
badge
Aldie's Full of Love!
mbmbmbmbmb
Paypal can be braindead at times. Lemme try to find some alternatives.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Seal of Approval
Austria
Vienna
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey, thanks all for your support!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.