Popular Tags: [View All]
C Sandifer
United States
Lutherville
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've played my copy of Tempus twice. After only two plays, a significant amount of ink has flaked off the action markers and city tiles.

Example: The yellow "four" action marker is now unreadable because it is almost completely white. There are only a few spots of yellow ink left!

The same thing is happening to the fronts and backs of various city tiles. I can literally see the printer's ink rub off onto my fingers every time I pick these tiles up. At some point, the fronts and backs of the cities will be completely white -- which means that I'll have to write the city values/colors on these tiles myself. Ugh.

I'm not yet having this problem with the map tiles - but I imagine that it will happen eventually.

Is anyone else experiencing the same unpleasantness with their copy of Tempus?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Takagi
United States
San Marcos
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This happened to me as well, except it happened to my pieces before I had even started playing, just having bagged the pieces. It sounds like we have the same problem, it only happened to the city and action tiles. Send an email to Ron at Café Games (CafeGames@aol.com) and he'll take care of it. He emailed me yesterday and told me that my case was the 2nd he had heard of, and promised to get replacements out before he left for Essen.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Cardarelli
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
JeremiahClayton wrote:
Why are you even playing with the Action Tiles??

Because it's in the rules. Were you not the one who was insisting that people play within the confines of the rules and not whine and change them just because they don't like them?

Or am I missing something?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Poole
United States
Goldsboro
North Carolina
flag msg tools
Udu Wudu
badge
Udu Wudu
mbmbmbmbmb
I think he was referring to using the cubes instead of the action tiles. I would also recommend this.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phillip Heaton
United States
Springfield
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
When you get your new pieces, coat them with something before you play. I would suggest a clear acrylic spray, but I'd try it on something before I'd spray the new counters. The old counters sound like a good testing subject.

A friend of mine did something like this years ago with his wargame pieces. He claimed that they lasted longer that way.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Fiscus
United States
Maricopa
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This happened to me as well, and Ron at Cafe Games was kind enough to send me replacement bits. It has not happened to any of my friends' copies.

Specifically, my City and Action tokens were flaking badly, to the point of being unreadable. I think that the ink never 'set' on those few counter sheets. The map tiles and the player aids have no problems in my copy. To be truthful, the flaked off ink really made a mess of my storage bags and my fingers and my table.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Walt
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
Saddleback, covered by a blanket of winter snow
badge
Please contact me about board gaming in Orange County.
mbmbmbmbmb
Philgamer wrote:
When you get your new pieces, coat them with something before you play. I would suggest a clear acrylic spray, but I'd try it on something before I'd spray the new counters. The old counters sound like a good testing subject.

A friend of mine did something like this years ago with his wargame pieces. He claimed that they lasted longer that way.

This works very well. I use Krylon clean acrylic spray. It's designed to protect art projects (charcoals, watercolors...) so it's quite safe. If you get an old game with the cardboard counters that tend to delaminate--spreading little squares of cardboard around?--spray the edges, too, and it'll keep them glued together.

I have not seen any problems with the copies of Tempus my friends have, so I hope these are isolated incidents.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seth Jaffee
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've not encountered this. Nor have seen it in any copy of the game I've seen. Just lucky I guess.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron Magin
United States
Phoenixville
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
wkover wrote:
I've played my copy of Tempus twice. After only two plays, a significant amount of ink has flaked off the action markers and city tiles.

Example: The yellow "four" action marker is now unreadable because it is almost completely white. There are only a few spots of yellow ink left!

The same thing is happening to the fronts and backs of various city tiles. I can literally see the printer's ink rub off onto my fingers every time I pick these tiles up. At some point, the fronts and backs of the cities will be completely white -- which means that I'll have to write the city values/colors on these tiles myself. Ugh.

I'm not yet having this problem with the map tiles - but I imagine that it will happen eventually.

Is anyone else experiencing the same unpleasantness with their copy of Tempus?

Well, I have received only 2 compaints of this problem so far. It seems to be only happening with the City and Action Tile tokens, and not the Island Tiles. If you have this problem with your copy of Tempus, then please email me at cafegames@aol.com, and I will send out replacements.

I'm not sure of the originn of this problem, but clearly the ink on a few copies didn't set properly. As we have sold several thousand copies of the game already (in fact the first print run will likely sell out before Christmas), and we have only received 2 complaints of this problem so far, I'd say that it was quite an isolated problem.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Dewsbery
United Kingdom
Sutton Coldfield
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Played my copy for the first time tonight.

After getting all the pieces out of their ziplock bags (I'd punched and bagged all the pieces some months ago), I thought "silly me - I should have vacuumed all of those biscuit crumbs up before I got the game out".

Then I thought "hang on, I don't eat biscuits in the games room!"

Then I thought "Why are some of the city tiles almost completely white?"

It wasn't biscuit crumbs. It was the printing just flaking off the counters in ruddy great chunks.

The action tiles fared a little better. Some of them made it almost to the end of the game before becoming unreadable.

Unhappy bunny here.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Dewsbery
United Kingdom
Sutton Coldfield
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Kudos to Ron from Cafe Games for getting in touch so quickly.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Dewsbery
United Kingdom
Sutton Coldfield
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Still not got my replacement pieces, though

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
BoB 3K
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Happened to my copy too. The city tiles mainly, but also one of the Player Aids.

I will email Ron.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
BoB 3K
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I got a reply, but never got a package. I would NOT purchase this game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.