Popular Tags: [View All]
Tom Lynch
United States
Brooklawn
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I just finished my second and third game of Crusader Rex last night and had a blast. A couple of questions came up that I couldn't get a clear answer to from the rules (v1.4). If an attacker storms a castle on round one of combat, then retreats during round two, can the defending blocks sally on the third round to pursue them, or does the attackers retreat end the combat and he still holds the field? A situation came up where my defenders got a lucky die roll and decimated the storming force. My opponent opted to retreat to the field. I wanted to come out of my castle to finish him off, but the rules seemed to say that I couldn't do this. I wanted to come out to avoid siege attrition roles. Any thoughts?

Also, if your castle has been stormed/seiged during the first card play and then stormed again on the second card play, should you start making seige attrition roles for the defenders if they survive the attack after the second card play even though they weren't sieged? I assumed that every turn the enemy holds the town (whether they strom or siege) you have to make a siege attrition roll. However, the rules say "Besieged blocks are subject to a Siege Attrition roll at the end of each Game Turn except the first Game Turn besieged." Besieging is defined under Rule 7.2 which is separate from Siege Combat under rule 7.3. That makes it sound like if you storm, the defender doesn't have to make Siege Attrition roles. Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance for the help.

Tom

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jerry Taylor
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
Quote:
I just finished my second and third game of Crusader Rex last night and had a blast

Music to my ears.

Quote:
If an attacker storms a castle on round one of combat, then retreats during round two, can the defending blocks sally on the third round to pursue them

Yes.

Quote:
Also, if your castle has been stormed/seiged during the first card play and then stormed again on the second card play, should you start making seige attrition roles for the defenders if they survive the attack after the second card play even though they weren't sieged?

Yes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rusty McFisticuffs
United States
Arcata
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Jerry Taylor wrote:
tomlynch wrote:
If an attacker storms a castle on round one of combat, then retreats during round two, can the defending blocks sally on the third round to pursue them

Yes.

I was going to say I don't see this in the rules (well, I still don't--7.3 makes it sound like you can only Sally if the besieger didn't Storm), but the battle example on p. 5 does have the defender sallying in round 2 after being stormed in round 1. Maybe this bit would be more clear if 7.33 said something like, "in each combat round, if not being stormed..."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.