Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
simon thornton
United Kingdom
Liverpool
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I dont pretend to be an expert player but I do confess to have being on a steep learning curve on how to play this game. In four games as the Allies I lost the first two comprehensively , won the third narrowly and won the fourth comfortably.My tactics have been constantly changing as I have learned from my painful mistakes. This then is a guide to other beginners on how to play the early part of the game.

Dont worry about losing troops - keep replacing them

You need to play replacement cards at least twice but ideally 3 times every turn.It doesnt matter how ragged your lines are how many troops have been cut off, be disciplined keep playing them RP's.In the first two games I would spend numerous ops trying to break out of encirclements , the Germans are too mobile and too strong, you will lose if not this turn then the next. Instead I just played cards for Rp's , let the Germans pocket large numbers of troops and I could just then rebuild them next turn futher back. The German player would waste ops , securing the encirclement, let him.If you have got any ops use them to assault the German forces not in the hope of a break out but rather knocking a few steps off here and there to slow the Germans down.

Dont try and hold the historical line

Have a good look at the board , the Germans have to conquer an awful lot of Russia for that magical +20, you can retreat quite far back and essentially give up Moscow, Leningrad , all of central Russia and still have a few vp's to spare.I lost one game digging in at Moscow determined to hold it at all costs only for the Germans to bypass it and dash off to the urals putting the entire Russian army out of supply.

Dont give up cheap vp's ever

Give up vp cities when you cant defend them but not vp's.Never break stalin's orders dont let Stalin get caught. In my last game I threw away numerous Russian armies rather than break Stalin's orders , the Germans can usually get to +18 or so no matter how well you play. Keep that in mind when giving away 1 vp just to save a couple of armies. Move Stalin if needs be, yes there are penalties for moving Stalin out of moscow but thats nothing to the 4 VP's for losing Stalin in Moscow, thats a Axis game winner for sure.

Build the Desert army Asap

Ok I havent managed to do this in my last two games but building the desert army will win you north Africa (Panzer Army Africa is flashier but more fragile) , then you will soon be able to play Casablanca and thats worth 4 vp.Get that played and the german player will never get the +20 he needs.

Play your reinforcement cards

The Russian army cant stop the germans with its starting forces, so dont try.You need those tank armies, Siberians and Fronts.So you'll need to play Sorge, Lend Lease, Industrial Evacuation.You should be playing 1 Russian reinforcement card every turn, no matter how temted you are to play it for ops or RP's. Get these out and your reinforcemnts will hopefully arrive early 42 (just as mine did the last 2 games) just as the Germans are desparetly trying to ghet that last VP city.

Entrench

I never got round to doing this in my first few games , but a trench in a vp city means, particularly one at the east edge of the board which the germans cant get round means you never have to retreat. it frightens German players as well and can cause them to waste time manouvering their forces to a more vulnerable city.

I hope these statements of the obvious will help a few beginners like me who may fall into some of the traps that the game can spring on you. If you survive the intital onslaught how you then go on to win the game I cant tell you.When I have won its because the German player has recognised too late that he wasnt going to get the +20 and never played total krieg.When the total Krieg was played the German lost because he gave away too many vps disobeying hitlers orders.In other words I have relied on Axis errors rather than developed any sophisticated end game strategy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul - the
Sweden
Lund
flag msg tools
My name is Ozymandias, King of Kings; Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
badge
You spin me right round, baby - Right round like a record, baby - Right round round round - You spin me right round, baby…
mbmbmbmbmb
Good article. thumbsup

I know I could have used this article before playing my first games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Folksman
United Kingdom
liverpool
Merseyside
flag msg tools
badge
Keep Crom and crush you enemies, see them driven before you, and hear the lamentation of their women.
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice article Simon. Fancy a rematch? I suck at this game. Currently playing solo it's winter 41 and Germans on 10 points. 🤔
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
simon thornton
United Kingdom
Liverpool
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Love to , I don't think I've played it since we last did

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Folksman
United Kingdom
liverpool
Merseyside
flag msg tools
badge
Keep Crom and crush you enemies, see them driven before you, and hear the lamentation of their women.
mbmbmbmbmb
me neither! Busted it out the other day to learn the rules again. Think ive got them down except for invasion procedure.

Throw us a PM with some dates ur available

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.