Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Eric Johnson
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
After reading all of the rules posts here on BGG, I think I'm more confused than ever, with regards to effects on friends and call markers. It seems like everyone's got a different ruleset when it comes to friends.

Here's what I think the rules are:

Effects

The effects section of the card applies to all friends who were used either as a.) prerequisites for the card (forcing the active player to state which pre-existing friends they are using as their prereq's) or b.) effects for the card, such as new friends or relationships.

So, for example, in First Semester Party--which depicts a prereq of a friend and effects of sex, alcohol, drugs, and a new friend--the active player will first state which of his pre-existing friends he is using as his prereq (which also gives all of his pre-existing friends an opportunity to use their call markers), and then choose a new friend used as the effect (again, call markers may come into play.) The active player and the pre-req friend each get anonymous sex, alcohol, drugs, and the new friend. The new friend gets anonymous sex, alcohol, drugs... and two new friends (the active player and the prereq friend???)

Call Markers

Call markers can come into play any time a player is being forced to choose a friend to either fulfill prerequisites (in which case he must choose a pre-existing friend) or to fulfill effects (in which case he can choose either pre-existing or new.)

Any experts on the game have comments on either of those?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Miguel
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I wish I knew...

We play that only the prerequisite friends get the effects. Although it makes sense on many levels to have the new friends also gain the effects, the difficulty in interpretation of certain cards made me shy away. With prerequisites being the only affected group, the game becomes much simpler.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Orleans
United States
Somerville
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Eric, your interpretations sound correct to me based on the other threads I've read, with one exception: the effects friend can be either a new friend or an existing friend. You'll almost always want a new friend, but occasionally you'll want to take an existing friend-- perhaps to mess up their goals.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Miguel
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I hope this is incorrect. If an effect friend can be an existing friend, then it ceases to be an "effect".
These rules were confusing enough... I hadn't even thought of that interpretation...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Orleans
United States
Somerville
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
It's still an "effect" in that the existing friend shares in all the other effects (which might include gaining a new friend, if you bring two existing friends who are not already friends with each other).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Orleans
United States
Somerville
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
By the way, I'm going by what Marcel (one of the designers) said in the following thread:

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/77373

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.