Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Patrick Barringer
United States
Rushford
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I just had the opportunity today to introduce 2 new players to Samurai. They have played other eurogames with me before, but don't play all that often. I was impressed with how quickly they picked up the strategies. When I teach people new games, I tend to give them a few strategy pointers, but let them figure it out mostly on their own. In this situation I suggested that they use the Japanese character tiles for suprise attacks on vulnerable locations.

After setting up the board randomly, the game started in the first round rather benignly with all of us playing tiles in separate areas of the board. Starting with the second round, however, there was a bombardment on Edo. After the dust settled I ended up with the high hat and buddha while my friend Rose had the rice paddy.

As the game progressed the conflicts usually occured between myself and Rose with my friend Brandon doing his own thing in another part of the board. He ended up with all of the figures from Kyushu, while we went back and forth in Northern Honshu.

Although I had a strong beginning and knew I was leading in Buddhas I was worried about the outcome. Brandon came up after finishing off Kyushu and joined the fray, quickly capturing a high hat I thought I had locked in with a figure trade.

The game ended shortly thereafter with only 2 rice paddies left on the board. When we revealed our figures the was an initial 3-way tie. I had the most buddhas with 5, Rose had the most high hats with 6, and Brandon had the most rice with 4.

The first tie-breaker proved me to be the winner with 5 tokens not including my buddhas while the other two both had 4. Quite a close game, especially considering the other two had never played before! They liked it a lot and are now considering buying it =).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Mossman
United States
Gaithersburg
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sounds like two fairly sharp new players.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.