Paul - the
Sweden
Lund
flag msg tools
My name is Ozymandias, King of Kings; Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
badge
You spin me right round, baby - Right round like a record, baby - Right round round round - You spin me right round, baby…
mbmbmbmbmb
I think it would be nice if you purchased microbadge slots instead of specific microbadges. That way you could change microbadges depending on your mood or change of interest.

Some microbadges like the Admin and GW ones should probably be fix but other than that why not let the users change the badges they have instead of "forcing" them to buy new ones every time they get a new interest or favourite game?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lajos
Japan
Hachiouji
Tokyo
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
The advantage of buying microbadges rather than slots is that you can have more than 5 microbadges reflecting your interests. Hence, with the current system you can find everyone who is interested enough in a particular game (and rich enough) to buy the badge including those who have more than five badges. If you'd buy slots rather than badges the badge-owner pages (if these would still work) would only show whoever has a particular badge on display at that point in time, not all (rich) fans of that game.

(In my case, if I ever get rich enough, I hope to buy microbadges for all my favourite games, but there is no way I could display all of these. At the moment, by the way, I only own a few very general badges and no specific game badges at all.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoff Bohrer
United States
Hereford
Arizona
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Isn't part of the point of microbadges to suck GG out of circulation?

I do understand what you're saying, though, and I agree that it makes sense.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul - the
Sweden
Lund
flag msg tools
badge
You spin me right round, baby - Right round like a record, baby - Right round round round - You spin me right round, baby…
mbmbmbmbmb
Lajos wrote:
The advantage of buying microbadges rather than slots is that you can have more than 5 microbadges reflecting your interests. Hence, with the current system you can find everyone who is interested enough in a particular game (and rich enough) to buy the badge including those who have more than five badges. If you'd buy slots rather than badges the badge-owner pages (if these would still work) would only show whoever has a particular badge on display at that point in time, not all (rich) fans of that game.

(In my case, if I ever get rich enough, I hope to buy microbadges for all my favourite games, but there is no way I could display all of these. At the moment, by the way, I only own a few very general badges and no specific game badges at all.)

You would still only have 5 spaces to show off your microbadges. So even if you owned 10 slots you could switch microbadges in you would only be able to show five of them. That was my plan anyway.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lajos
Japan
Hachiouji
Tokyo
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
If that means that you can have 5 slots below your avatar and any number on your profile page I have no objections.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T. Rosen
United States
Arlington
Virginia
flag msg tools
admin
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I like that idea a lot Paul, especially since I bought a couple microbadges back when there were only a few to pick from, and now there are hundreds it seems. It would be fun to be able to change them around.

I was also thinking it would be cool to earn a small commission like 0.05 geekgold whenever someone buys a microbadge that you created, or at least you could maybe get the one you created for free.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoff Bohrer
United States
Hereford
Arizona
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd vote for that.

Though I make 'em just for fun; if they get picked, great. But I certainly wasn't thinking of profit.

Woudn't mind getting the mushroom cloud orash for free, tho...I'm kinda hoarding my GG until Aldie puts my GEEKMOD MICROBADGE UP!!!! YOU LISTENING????

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Malachi Brown
United States
Hermitage
TN
flag msg tools
It's turtles all the way down.
badge
“Questions are a burden to others; answers a prison for oneself.”
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree. I thought from the beginning that some sort of slot system would be better. The badges might still cost something, or maybe cost something to switch out, but that should be much lower. 1-5gg, depending on the implementation and the intent seems reasonable.

The current system seems great for sucking GG away from the richest users, but I believe it has been mentioned in the past that those rich users are a tiny minority, so microbadges end up being the ultimate luxury item. Over priced and with very limited utility.

I think one of the signs of the weakness that the current system has is the fact that more badges are added all the time. Why should I spend my GG on something now when tomorrow might bring something I want to have more?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Arthur
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I just wish I could sell my microbadges back to BGG - but maybe only get 5 or 10 GG back. I just do not want one of the microbadges I bought.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul - the
Sweden
Lund
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
OldestManOnMySpace wrote:
I just wish I could sell my microbadges back to BGG - but maybe only get 5 or 10 GG back. I just do not want one of the microbadges I bought.

That's what I mean. If I buy a microbadge for a certain game and then after a while find out that I actually hate it I can't get rid off the badge. So people will think I'm a X game fan even if I'm not.

I'm reluctant to buy more badges as it is now. Who knows, a new cool badge might show up soon and then I can't afford it.

Another reason to have slots instead of fixed badges is that I think a lot of the "poorer" users will actually buy a badge slot or two whereas they would never buy a fixed badge.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Werner Bär
Germany
Karlsruhe
Baden
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Doomfarer wrote:
If I buy a microbadge for a certain game and then after a while find out that I actually hate it I can't get rid off the badge. So people will think I'm a X game fan even if I'm not.

It was possible to get rid off a badge. In the Edit Microbadges menu, there were check boxes to indicate which microbadges should be shown in your profile.

I used it to hide the Geek Survey microbadge. But since two weeks, this option is gone. Maybe it reappears if i ever own more than 15 mircobadges (since this is the maximum amount that can be displayed, according to an early post). But when i now look at Aldie's profile, he has 45 microbadges - scary.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul - the
Sweden
Lund
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If it's not possible to have slots instead of fixed badges I think it should be allowed to sell back badges for the full sum. The result would be the same in the end of course but perhaps easier to implement?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.