Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jim Cote
United States
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This question is purely from the images posted here. I do not have the game or the rules. It looks like the Hoplite (army) tiles are meant to stand upright, while the Trireme (navy) tiles are meant to be horizontal. However, the Battle Boxes are all horizontal. An image here shows tiles with men standing sideways. If my assumptions are correct, wouldn't it have been better to design the Battle Boxes like this?:

+---+ +---+ +-------+
| | | | | |
| | | | +-------+
| | | | +-------+
| | | | | |
+---+ +---+ +-------+

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Dewsbery
United Kingdom
Sutton Coldfield
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The orientation of the tiles (hoplites vertical, triremes horizontal) was deliberate to make it easier to distinguish the two. But trying to arrange the unit holding boxes the same way would have been impossible. Of course, if I had been the graphic designer, both tiles would have been horizontal, with he hoplite tile showing a phalanx rather than a single man.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Cote
United States
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I still think it's bad design. Placing a vertical tile into a horizontal box is ugly. Why not just have one big box for any/all tiles if you are not going to make things fit and orient?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Dewsbery
United Kingdom
Sutton Coldfield
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just one box for both types really wouldn't work. Each Location is fought over in two rounds - a naval battle and a land battle (sometimes the other way around). You need to know which type of battle people are committing their forces to.

If the only thing graphically "wrong" with the game is the orientation of the tiles versus the unit boxes, then Warfrog are doing pretty well. We can all think of improvements that could be made to virtually every game. Me, I'd have added a "casualties" box, had the art on the hoplite tiles horizontal, and there was something else so trivial that I've forgotten what it was. And I'm far from convinced that my changes would make the game any better.

Anyone spotted the *real* error on one of the components yet? It's got nothing whatsoever to do with the gameplay, but I was surprised that the artist made the mistake that he did ...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Cote
United States
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I guess it just really irks me when the rules guy doesn't talk to the board designer who doesn't talk to the bits designer, or when the playtesters don't point this stuff out before the game is printed. Especially with a game I'm interested in. cool

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anthony Simons
United Kingdom
Royal Wootton Bassett
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The playtesters often do not play with the finished article...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Dewsbery
United Kingdom
Sutton Coldfield
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's very trivial though. I suspect that almost half the time, players are putting their counters down upside down, after all, so their orientation really doesn't matter to any but the most fervent OCD sufferer. For me, much more glaring was the fact that the first "historical synopsis" page of the rulebook was done in a different font to the rules themselves - I don't know why it irks me, I know that it was the intent of the typesetter, but it's not something that I would have done. Thankfully, after 4 games now, I'm not sure that I'll need to open the rulebook again.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.