Popular Tags: [View All]
Adam Starkweather
United States
New York City
New York
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Got a few annoying production issues that came up. I wanted to get these to all of you pronto so you know about them before you start playing...

First is the Hungarians and Romanians printed out to be very similar in color. Hungarians are brown and the Romanians are green - but under less than great light, they look very similar. This is important for HQ activation and stacking reasons. Luckily, they are set up apart from each other and rarely come close enough to each other for it to matter.

Also, all the Hungarians have orange boxes - so if you can't tell the base color apart, you can tell by the colored box (the Romanians have a few colors in their boxes - use the Hungarians as the baseline. Orange box - they are Hungarians - not orange, they are Romanians).

Secondly, and another in the more of its an annoyance family, each HQ in the game has a corresponding chit that goes in the cup for it. 2 of the Soviet HQs come as reinforcements but their cooresponding chits are missing their reinforcement number. The HQ has it - the chit does not.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Keyes
United States
Richardson
Texas
flag msg tools
mb
i don't think the graphics made it through...

Excited about this game! Can't wait for my preorder to get here.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Starkweather
United States
New York City
New York
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Errata and questions and answers folder 10/29/06
Strange - anyone else see the graphics above?

Also, have a few questions that have come up in early play of the game. Mostly revolving around the unusual event of not bringing in your Entry Box reinforcement of the 1st Panzer Army (the 28th will always activate because of the Stavka chit). The rules allow it but I have yet to see it happen in a game. As no playtesters ever did this, I didn't spot some potential rules ambiguity that might occur.

Q: The German Player decides to never activate the 1st Panzer Army and the units of this army never enter the map. Are the units of the 1st Panzer Army considered out of supply and do they count towards the Soviet victory total?

A: Yes. Regardless of their actual supply state, units of the 1st Panzer Army that remain in 1st Panzer Entry Box at the end of the game are considered out of supply and are counted as eliminated for the purposes of victory points.

Q: Can either player delay regular (not 28th Army or 1st Panzer Army) reinforcements that are due to enter on a given turn? Can the Russian player delay their 4th turn reinforcements and wait until Stalingrad opens up on turn 5?

A: No. Reinforcements must enter on the turn they are due to arrive.

Q: The graphic of the road ends at the town graphic. Do the towns stop the roads for purposes of strategic movement?

A: No. The roads are considered to run through the town and rejoin the road once it leaves the town graphic. There is no interruption of the road.

Q: How do the units of the 1st Panzer Army trace supply if they are not activated on the turn following their placement in their Entry Box? Are they automatically in supply if they are in their entry box during the supply phase?

A: No. Units of the 1st Panzer Army that are not activated in turn after they enter their Entry Box must trace supply like everyone else. The owning player chooses one hex that is adjacent to the Entry Box and traces supply from that hex to a supply source during the supply phase. The trace applies to all units in the Entry Box. All the units in an Entry Box will always be in the same state of supply. Note that the units of this army enter the game during the reinforcement phase (which is after the supply phase). They will only be tracing supply from their Entry Box should they not be activated during the turn following the one that they arrive as reinforcements.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Bohnenberger
United States
Swarthmore
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
adamant wrote:

I don't see them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Aasted
United States
flag msg tools
designer
Yes, I spend Geek Gold on useless things like this.
badge
Gloria: [to Robot] I'm just scared I'll come home one day and find you screwing a toaster.
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:

Nope

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Starkweather
United States
New York City
New York
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh well, not sure what is wrong but I deleted the pictures. I will have to add to the Q and A on the MMP site.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Starkweather
United States
New York City
New York
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Really only three things at this point...two have to do with something I have never seen and a one is a missed crossreference...

If the Germans don't enter the map with the 1st Pz Army, they trace supply from any hex adjacent to the entry area to a supply source. Everyone in the reinforcement box traces through the one line (so everyone in the box are in supply, OOS or isolated).

If the Germans never enter the 1st Pz Army into the game, they are counted as eliminated for VPs.

Those are the two things that have yet to happen in any game.

Also, there is a reference to rule 3.2 on the one page red sheet...should be to 3.0 instead.

Anything else you need help on, just ask...

Adam

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
German Mike
United States
Hudson
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Maybe this has already been posted, but doesn't the 28A reinforcement box miss the 1Tk corps symbol?

-DaMilli-

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Starkweather
United States
New York City
New York
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
1st Tank Corps? I am not seeing that unit in the countermix. You mean an actual game piece?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
German Mike
United States
Hudson
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sorry, I meant 2Tk corps. That unit arrives with 28A at the end of turn 1. My copy of the map is missing the unit designation on the reinforcement box.

-DaMilli-

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Starkweather
United States
New York City
New York
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh, got you...

The 2nd Tank corps does not arrive with the 28th army - it arrives as a regular reinforcement. You can tell by the box color...white boxes are special reinforcements (28th Army and 1st Pz A) and black boxes are regular reinforcements.

Only the units listed on the map to arrive with the two special armies actually arrive with those armies. Nothing is wrong with your copy of the map.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
German Mike
United States
Hudson
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you, Adam. Now that makes sense! In my defense, I will attribute this mistake to my VASSAL-only experience so far!

When you check in VASSAL, all the reinforcements in turn 1 come stacked together. I therefore automatically assumed that they all belonged to 28A and put them together in the same reinforcement box.

Thanks you for clarification.

-DaMilli-

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lev Mishkin
Belarus
Barcelona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
question about rules.
I pick stavka chit in the first draw.
Now i active all headquarters and all units en their range.
In the second draw i pick first guards army, this army can performe once more attack and movement? or i only can activate headquartes not activated when i picked Stavka, if there?
I try to explain me, but my english is horrible. I can read better.
Thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lev Mishkin
Belarus
Barcelona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks.
For me this balance the game. I suffer many loses against german player, now with my five "elite" headquarters i can win.
One more time; thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Cote
United States
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Section 2.2.1 refers to section 5.3. This should be 5.0.3.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Starkweather
United States
New York City
New York
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Firstly, is the river starting in the Taganrog hex and moving north to Krasnyi-tuch a major or minor? In thickness is looks about half way between, but it's not named, so I guess it's a minor?

Minor

Quote:
Secondly, I'm having a little trouble deciding which urban areas - aside from VP centres - are cities and which are towns. Novoshakhtinsk looks to be fairly obviously a town while Rossoch is a city, I would assume. Between these two extremes there is a fair bit of size variation. Is there something I'm missing which helps make identification clearer?*

There are only towns and victory cities...there are only two types of urban terrain in AVL...nothing called "cities"....

Adam

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Havert
United States
Brandon
Florida
flag msg tools
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Adam,

If the Soviets do not choose the 28th Army HQ as one of their first 5 HQ's, does that mean they never get to activate that army? or will all of the HQ's in the reinforcement pool be available? or just the Special HQ's(28th Army and 1st PZ)?

Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Starkweather
United States
New York City
New York
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Not sure I am following, Patrick, 28th A can arrive onto the map when Stavka chit is in play as well. So it will always activate to come into the game....

Not sure what the HQ replacement pool is though...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Blanchett
United States
St Charles
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Patrick, you pick your five Soviet HQs from all available ones (at start and reinforcements). If they are reinforcement HQs, they must stay inactive and not be part of the three selected each turn until the turn after they arrive. As for the 28th Army, ALL HQs are activated with the STAVKA chit, so they would come on the map at that time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Swan
Australia
Randwick
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: River Sizes
adamant wrote:
Quote:
... is the river starting in the Taganrog hex and moving north to Krasnyi-tuch a major or minor? In thickness is looks about half way between, but it's not named, so I guess it's a minor?

Minor

Adam

This surprised me! I had been thinking the minor rivers were the ones drawn with the pencil-thin (~0.75mm) lines that never vary in width (e.g. the ones immediately south of Kotelnikovo), and that all the other rivers (i.e. that do vary in width, regardless of size or being named) were major.

So now I'm wondering about two other unnamed rivers that I was assuming were major, namely:

the one in the far SW corner of the map that ends at the "Turn 1" space
the east-west river just north of the 1PzA entry box

What's your call please, Adam?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Caleb Wynn
United States
Cartersville
Georgia
flag msg tools
I love Nintendo as well!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
OK, I am brand new to this game and wargaming. I have a question about reinforcements.

How do I know what units come in as reinforcements? After the initial setup I have a bunch of unused units on both sides. So, are the remainders drawn randomly? If so, how many do I draw? I didn't see anything in the rules about this.

Secondly, is it the HQ's with the numbers that are placed on the map or is it the HQ chits without the numbers that are placed on the map?

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jesper Rugård Jensen
Denmark
Copenhagen
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The reinforcement troops have a little number on right-hand side, which says when then the reinforcement arrives. In that turn, you can move the unit by using railroads to somewhere on the battlefield. See rules section 2.2.2 and section 11. There are some nice extras helping with this: http://files.boardgamegeek.com/geekfile_view.php?fileid=2325.... Not all reinforcements arrive by rail some of them sneak in another way (see 11.2), but that is mentioned on the map (South and East).

The headquarters are described in 2.3 and the ones with the numbers like 4-6 e.g are the ones that go onto the map. The numbers show command range and movement allowance for the HQ. Of course it shouldn't really matter which you put on the map - the effect would be the same, but it is easier to check the range for command and movement on the piece on the map.

It is a very nice intro to wargaming (was for me at least), best of luck playing it and have fun.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Caleb Wynn
United States
Cartersville
Georgia
flag msg tools
I love Nintendo as well!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
OHHHHH!!! Ok! Thanks so much! That clears a lot up!

Now, the Axis get to draw the allotted number of HQ's to activate according to the number on the turn record chart. Say it is turn one and they get three. I draw three of the HQ's I chose at the beginning of the game from the cup correct?

I have my original 5 from setup in the cup and I draw from those each turn correct? Sorry if the question is confusing!

And this is the same for the Soviet player as well?

Thanks for the help!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jesper Rugård Jensen
Denmark
Copenhagen
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I am not sure if I understand you correctly, but before each "round", you put the HQs for that round into the cup - i.e. if you are Germans and you have three activations the first round, you put three HQs into the cup. The Russians put their chosen HQs and the Stavka in the cup; and then you pick one chit at a time from the cup and the player who owns this HQ gets to activate it on the map.

Things to note:
You pick the HQs to use at the start of the game, and can never change that. It is really agonozing especially for the Russians as they have to pick a strategy before the game starts.

The German player can put the Manstein chit back into the cup and pick another, this is a really good thing for them, as it adds flexibility.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Caleb Wynn
United States
Cartersville
Georgia
flag msg tools
I love Nintendo as well!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ah, ok, I get it now. Thank you so much! This will make my solo rules learning game go much much smoother!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.