Popular Tags: [View All]
Bill Allen
Australia
Ngunnawal, Canberra
ACT
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi,

I've got 3 young boys (6,4, 2 next week) and I thought it was time to introduce Ticket to Ride to the 6 and 4 year old. We played the following variation twice with success, although the game went a bit long for the 4 year old ... The 6 year old in particular enjoyedit and want to strat moving towards the 'proper version'

Ticket to Ride Primer

* All cards are face-up
* Each player receives only one destination ticket. They then mark on the map the two cities they need to join with some related counters (e.g. from Ludo / Trouble / etc.), preferably of the same colour as their train pieces.
* You can spend a turn discard your destination ticket and drawing a new one. The destination deck is not reshuffled when emptied.
* Points only awarded for tickets (or number of tickets if you want to keep it simpler ... or do both ...). No penalty for uncompleted tickets, but they don't score at the end.
* End game trigger is as normal, although may stall a bit near the end as people go searching for train routes they can do.
* Play as normal otherwise

Enjoy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JP LaChance
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
sounds good, One thing we did when we first started playing with our 6yr old was that scoring for trains was one point each instead of the susal, this kept scoring simpler and made the game closer. After a few plays we went to the normal scoring.

keep us updated as to other variants you play with your kids.

JP

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Allen
Australia
Ngunnawal, Canberra
ACT
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice idea. I had to keep it simple enough for the 4 year old as well (and it meant not keeping track of points til the end!), but they seemed to like it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Denise Lavely
United States
Carmel
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks!! I've been thinking about trying this with my 6 year old, I'll definitely have to try your variant!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.