1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 

BGG» Forums » Gaming Related » General Gaming

Subject: First board game to use 'Meeples' rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: meeple [+] [View All]
James Sherriff
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
I still consider myself a 'Noob' when it comes to board gaming but was Carcassonne the first game to introduce/use the concept of 'Meeples'?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Louis Brenton
United States
Brighton
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: ChristianMicrobadge: Arkham Horror fanMicrobadge: Brass fanMicrobadge: Adventures in Middle-Earth fanMicrobadge: D&D fan (5th edition)
It's the first one I'm aware of, but I'm certainly no expert.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
@TaintedDragonInn
badge
www.TaintedDragonInn.com
Microbadge: I don't use any card sleevesMicrobadge: Global Religious ToleranceMicrobadge: Golden MeepleMicrobadge: Ameritrash fanMicrobadge: Golden Reviewer
Müller & Sohn, 1984.

The shape has altered over time, so it really depends on what criteria defines "meeple". These are linear carved tokens.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dr. Jones
United States
Peoria
Arizona
flag msg tools
God. Country. Notre Dame.
badge
"Since it is so likely that children will meet cruel enemies, let them at least have heard of Brave Knights and Heroic Courage." -C.S. Lewis
Microbadge: Rules Addict - I read rules before I go to bedMicrobadge: ScientistMicrobadge: ChristianMicrobadge: Juggling baby and BGGingMicrobadge: Happily married
It really depends on your definition. Do you mean the first game to use the term? It may be Carcassone if that's your definition. If you just mean little wooden tokens to represent people/etc, then you might make a good argument for chess.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Microbadge: I speak EsperantoMicrobadge: Abstract fanMicrobadge: Plays Games with SpouseMicrobadge: Modern abstract games fanMicrobadge: Vegan
For trying to define what a "meeple" even is (which seems necessary to answer this thread's question). I'll point to an old thread + poll I made...
Poll: What exactly is a meeple?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc Hawkins
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: 1989: Dawn of Freedom fanMicrobadge: Wir sind das Volk! fanMicrobadge: GameChat League - Phoenix Division: "Like a phoenix rising from the ashes..."Microbadge: FeminismMicrobadge: Reef Encounter fan
superman829 wrote:
It's the first one I'm aware of, but I'm certainly no expert.
Does Carcassonne actually use the term "meeple" or is it one that the community applies to it? I don't recall ever seeing the term in the rules or anywhere.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Carcassonne rulebook doesn't refer to them as "meeples". It calls them "followers". Which was very confusing when I was trying to explain the game to a friend of mine, talking about how to play his meeples, and he kept saying, "What are meeples? It says right here in the rulebook these things are called Followers."

I believe someone coined the term "meeple" while playing Carcassonne, though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jesse Bouvier
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: Copper Board Game CollectorMicrobadge: Level 01 BGG posterMicrobadge: EurogamerMicrobadge: Rahdo Runs Through fanMicrobadge: 2015 Copper Supporter
Source = Wiktionary, so take this for what it's worth, but:

http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/meeple

(Allegedly coined by one Alison Hansel during a 2000 game of Carcassonne)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rabid Schnauzer
msg tools
LaughingTulkas wrote:
If you just mean little wooden tokens to represent people/etc, then you might make a good argument for chess.
Not really. Hnefatafl is at least a thousand years older than Western Chess as you know it and probably a bit older than Chess's root game of Chaturaṅga -- which itself seems to have been played with parts from an even older game. So while your general point that the first game to use carved tokens to represent people is an ancient game, your specific example cannot possibly be the most ancient of them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The modern "Meeple" shape started in Carcassonne, yes, but the name came from elsewhere.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Microbadge: I speak EsperantoMicrobadge: Abstract fanMicrobadge: Plays Games with SpouseMicrobadge: Modern abstract games fanMicrobadge: Vegan
ChipChuck wrote:
The modern "Meeple" shape started in Carcassonne, yes, but the name came from elsewhere.
That seems backwards: I've frequently read of the word "meeple" starting with Carcassonne players, but it seems such figures existed in some form before Carcassonne. (Links for both assertions appear in various earlier comments in the thread.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tomello Visello
United States
Finger Lakes region
New York
flag msg tools
Microbadge: I CompostMicrobadge: Game ExplainerMicrobadge: Plays Games With FamilyMicrobadge: Rank 1 vs 100 is all the same, out of tens of thousandsMicrobadge: Golden Image Uploader
parapalooka wrote:

Also for what it's worth: Note carefully the complete absence of citations.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Huzonfirst
United States
Manassas
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Best hobby, with the best people in the world. Gaming is the best!
Microbadge: Blackout: Hong Kong fanMicrobadge: Teotihuacan: City of GodsMicrobadge: Newton fanMicrobadge: Coimbra fanMicrobadge: Key Flow fan
TVis wrote:
parapalooka wrote:

Also for what it's worth: Note carefully the complete absence of citations.
There may not be any citations there, but do a Google search and you'll find plenty of them. The first documented use of the word came from a posting from Dave Bernazzani, an acquaintance of mine and a noted gamer, who attributed it to Alison. I have never seen any other story about its origin and have every reason to believe that Dave is telling the truth. So as far as I'm concerned, the term came from Ms. Hansel, during a game of Carcassonne.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tomello Visello
United States
Finger Lakes region
New York
flag msg tools
Microbadge: I CompostMicrobadge: Game ExplainerMicrobadge: Plays Games With FamilyMicrobadge: Rank 1 vs 100 is all the same, out of tens of thousandsMicrobadge: Golden Image Uploader
Larry Levy wrote:
The first documented use of the word came from a posting from Dave Bernazzani, an acquaintance of mine and a noted gamer, who attributed it to Alison.
I have no particular reason to doubt the connection you report, but you also said "documented". How can that be verified?

On the otherhand, I do have particular reasons for doubting the internet. I found a reference that proclaimed Carcassonne won the "Meeples' Choice Award" in 2000. That sounded suspcious; getting an award named after itself in the year of publication?.

I looked further and found that Settlers of Catan won the same award in 1995. Hmmm. Before term was supposedly invented?

"The Meeples' Choice Award is an award given for board games and card games. It is given by Spielfrieks, an internet discussion group about board and card games."
according to
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Meeples'_Choice_Award

And checking up on refernces to "Spielfrieks" I get information here
https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/spielfrieks/info
that says "Founded :Jan 25, 2000" , where that date does not comply well.

so I figure I'm still allowed an ounce or two of skepticism.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Blumentritt
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
Microbadge: Victory in the Pacific fanMicrobadge: War of the Ring fan - Free PeoplesMicrobadge: Commander Keen fanMicrobadge: Oxford comma—the last vestige of civilized societyMicrobadge: Fan of the old BGG layout!
Quote:
On the otherhand, I do have particular reasons for doubting the internet. I found a reference that proclaimed Carcassonne won the "Meeples' Choice Award" in 2000. That sounded suspcious; getting an award named after itself in the year of publication?.

I looked further and found that Settlers of Catan won the same award in 1995. Hmmm. Before term was supposedly invented?
It could be retroactive naming. For example, the Green Bay Packers won "Super Bowl I", even though the term "Super Bowl" didn't exist for that game at that point.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
Microbadge: Concordia fanMicrobadge: Stone Age fanMicrobadge: Glory to Rome Black Box fanMicrobadge: Container fanMicrobadge: Dominant Species fan
https://boardgamegeek.com/wiki/page/Meeples_Choice

Meeple's choice didn't start until 2001.

(On a side note, I enjoy that the origin of "Meeple" is turning into an internet conspiracy theory thread...)

Quote:
The Meeples' Choice Award is an award bestowed by Spielfrieks, an internet discussion group devoted to boardgames, with more than a thousand members.

In 2001, the members of Spielfrieks participated in a series of retrospective polls in order to determine awards all the way back to 1995. The three boardgames, released that year, that receive the most votes receive the Meeples' Choice Award. Voting is open to every member of the Spielfriek discussion group. The votes are taken each June, and are limited to games released from the prior year. Three games are selected each year.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Huzonfirst
United States
Manassas
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Microbadge: Blackout: Hong Kong fanMicrobadge: Teotihuacan: City of GodsMicrobadge: Newton fanMicrobadge: Coimbra fanMicrobadge: Key Flow fan
TVis wrote:
[so I figure I'm still allowed an ounce or two of skepticism.
Wow, Tomello, not only are you a skeptic, you're a skeptic that does research!

Your reasons are sound ones, but as has been mentioned by others, the Meeples Choice Awards began in 2001, with the earlier awards being made retroactively. The reason that I know that is, by some weird coincidence, I'm the fellow who administers the awards, and I've been doing so for the last 10 years!

In June of 2001, Stephen Glenn proposed that the Spielfrieks user group vote on their favorite games of the previous calendar year. It was not originally called the Meeples Choice Awards. Stephen called it the Spielfriek Awards and it didn't get renamed until later (possibly not until 2002). I think Mark Johnson was the person who renamed it, as a spinoff of the then-popular People's Choice Awards (which honored entertainers). Obviously, by the time Mark came up with that name, "meeples" had become a fairly ubiquitous term.

After Spielfrieks voted on their favorite 2000 titles back in the summer of 2001 (and yes, Carcassonne was one of the winners), Stephen set up polls for some retroactive awards, taking it back to 1995. The award then became an annual tradition. I started administering it in 2004.

That's more than you ever wanted to know about the history of the Meeples Choice Awards. But they are definitely post-Carcassonne.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Wheelock
Canada
Woodstock
New Brunswick
flag msg tools
badge
David Malki drew this!
Microbadge: Legendary fan - S.H.I.E.L.D. TeamMicrobadge: I tipped into the Geekgold infinite loopMicrobadge: The Geek Citizenship Recognition Program Rolls On!Microbadge: Roll for the Galaxy fanMicrobadge: Memoir '44 fan
Geosphere wrote:
Müller & Sohn, 1984.

The shape has altered over time, so it really depends on what criteria defines "meeple". These are linear carved tokens.
Those are bags of grain. Meeples is peoples.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Huber

Westborough
Massachusetts
msg tools
TVis wrote:
Larry Levy wrote:
The first documented use of the word came from a posting from Dave Bernazzani, an acquaintance of mine and a noted gamer, who attributed it to Alison.
I have no particular reason to doubt the connection you report, but you also said "documented". How can that be verified?
rec.games.board sufficient?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Huzonfirst
United States
Manassas
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Very nice, Joe. Since your Wayback skills are clearly strong, can you find the original post that Bernazzani made about Alison and the naming of meeples? I quoted it in response to a similar question on the Geek back in 2005, so I obviously had access to it then, but I can't find it now. Here's what I quoted:

"Alison Hansel coined the term. It's short for "My People" as she felt the little meeples were uber-cute. Local Massachusetts gamers started to use the term Meeple in numerous session reports that appeared on the 'net, and caught on over time. I've even heard Jay Tummelson use the term. (I'm still waiting for an official Rio Grande Games translation that uses the term.) It was said at an SSG session back in November of 2000. So it is written so let it be known...

"I've seen people refute this and claim that it was used far earlier for some other game... In any event, if the term was used before, it was not known to Alison. In any event, the usage with Carcassonne followers has a very specific origin."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Alden
United States
Dallas
TX
flag msg tools
admin
badge
Aldie's Full of Love!
Microbadge: GameNight! fanMicrobadge: Detective: A Modern Crime Board Game fanMicrobadge: All the Meeples of the Rainbow blog
I thought it was Europa 1945-2030. The pawns in Müller & Sohn look like sacks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Huzonfirst
United States
Manassas
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Aldie wrote:
Europa may have been the first game to include a piece that looked like a meeple, Aldie. But Carc was the first game to have a piece called a meeple--at least, according to Dave.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc Hawkins
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: 1989: Dawn of Freedom fanMicrobadge: Wir sind das Volk! fanMicrobadge: GameChat League - Phoenix Division: "Like a phoenix rising from the ashes..."Microbadge: FeminismMicrobadge: Reef Encounter fan
Larry Levy wrote:
Aldie wrote:
Europa may have been the first game to include a piece that looked like a meeple, Aldie. But Carc was the first game to have a piece called a meeple--at least, according to Dave.
Yes, but who called it a meeple? It was certainly not an intended term. One might not learn it if they were gaming in a pre-internet age.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Garnica
United States
West Covina
California
flag msg tools
Microbadge: Minimalist fanMicrobadge: LudologistMicrobadge: Silver ReviewerMicrobadge: Gaming Missionary - I try to convert everybody I know to gaming!Microbadge: Geek Regular
Having never checked wiktionary, I was taught that meeple means "miniature people"...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Brosius
United States
Needham Heights
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
My favorite 18xx game for six players is two games of 1846 with three players each.
Microbadge: I aspire to Curmudgeon Level EricMicrobadge: I love Canada!Microbadge: In MemoriamMicrobadge: I love Mexico!Microbadge: I support the Women and Gaming community
hawk-x- wrote:
Yes, but who called it a meeple? It was certainly not an intended term. One might not learn it if they were gaming in a pre-internet age.
Alison Hansel coined the term.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   |